PSC Steering System - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old 01-18-2011, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

PSC Steering System

Preparing for 40's + on RJ60's, so I got my PSC Extreme Aftermarket kit today. Seeing one issue out of the box, the reservoir location seems like its going to be a tight fit, or no go, with the dual battery set up. I tried search.....does anyone have a link, or experience, or a pic of an install of the reservoir on a dual battery system? I will post up pics of the solution(s) and a write up on the entire install. (Not that it matters but 2007, 2 door JK)

Last edited by cjcraig7; 01-18-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 01-18-2011, 08:28 AM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Bodyguy on here built a mount. Look him up.

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #3 of 48 Old 01-18-2011, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

10-4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 Old 01-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

I think he has a pic of it in the "Hydraulic Assist" thread on here. I think the thread was started by USMCDOC14, or something like that.

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #5 of 48 Old 01-18-2011, 11:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...t=hydro-assist

Last edited by BenFoo; 01-18-2011 at 08:16 PM.
post #6 of 48 Old 01-18-2011, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Located Bodyguys mounting location. Thanks

This thread is a write-up on an install of a PSC Extreme Aftermarket Axle steering system, working around the dual battery issue and upgrading Currie's RJ60 track bar bracket with the Poly 3" axle unit for increased beef and function.

Mod is free to put it any where they want, I'ze could be confused?
post #7 of 48 Old 01-18-2011, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Reservoir Mounting Location

This is the heavy traffic area that PSC recommends to mount the reservoir:

This is the new reservoir with integrated filter. It appear that they made a production change in the body billet base:

Not enough width with dual batteries, actually interference. So, I am removing one of the batteries and ordering a new Optima Battery Box from Poly. I will mount it in the back as I have no rear seat. I will built a custom reservoir mount and place it where it sits in the picture:
post #8 of 48 Old 01-18-2011, 07:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcraig7 View Post
This is the heavy traffic area that PSC recommends to mount the reservoir:

This is the new reservoir with integrated filter. It appear that they made a production change in the body billet base:

Not enough width with dual batteries, actually interference. So, I am removing one of the batteries and ordering a new Optima Battery Box from Poly. I will mount it in the back as I have no rear seat. I will built a custom reservoir mount and place it where it sits in the picture:
May be other options out there, but I'm not sure if this one had the integrated filter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR View Post
I'm pretty sure Tribe4x4 also fabricates a similar dual-battery box layout, but can't immediately find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribe4x4 View Post
The power steering reservoir is secured using our in house fabricated bracket that bolts directly to the brake booster and is at the highest point of the steering system.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 48 Old 01-18-2011, 08:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

It might be late giving idea's... But ...

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 48 Old 01-19-2011, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Never to late for ideas - it may help someone else! The mount by the Power Brake mount looks clean, but I have my compressor there (as do many others). In theory though - that location with its long supply line probably add a pint+ of fluid in the system. The front mount from Bodyman was another great mount, but for me the ability to access the front belt and pulley system on the trail, concerns a bit. Both really nice mounts.

I decided that since PSC does what they do, I would like to stay with the spirit of there recommendation as close as possible with a very short pump supply line. One battery under the hood (one in the back) is a good fit for me and the battery tray provides a nice stable mounting platform.
post #11 of 48 Old 01-19-2011, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Missed your mount in my reply Andre - noice! That would have caught my eye. I installed the RR air box in mine and built a custom top that also put my winch controller under the hood. But, if all else failed that would have been the part I cut out. Great idea. Well, if all three mounts were scattered before, there are four mount ideas all in one place now.
post #12 of 48 Old 01-19-2011, 07:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

good luck with everything!!! i really like the look of the front end on your jeep!!!

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
D60 Front 99-04 Ford ARB w/ 5.38
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42Ē MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #13 of 48 Old 01-20-2011, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

So I can go lock to lock with the new steering system, I finished some body and frame prep.

Remove all the front body mount outboard bracketry and replaced both with top frame mount poly isolated custom mounts.

I also re-trim the grill and inner fenders to match the slope on the flare.

The last of my parts came in from Poly today - 25 rail fluid cooler. Track bar mount and double-shear tie rod mount tomorrow, as well as a cooler mount.
post #14 of 48 Old 01-20-2011, 10:54 PM
Wheeler

I installed the PSC resevour in the stock location. It was the best location I could find. I also have a dual battery setup

Ken
Drivers Training = Fun

07 Rubi 2 Dr. 6-sp, 4" Full traction Long Arm, Dynotrax D60's front and rear, Big brakes, Evo double throwdown front coilovers, Kings on the rear, 38" Toyo's on TrailReady beadlocks, 1350 Coast DS's, Atlas 4sp, PSC extreme ram, High steer, GenRight Aux. Tank, Currie Anti-Rock rear sway, Spod, bunch O'h other stuff.
post #15 of 48 Old 01-21-2011, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks Ken. I would like to see a picture if it is PSC for the record here - for others. I just thought installing it in between the dual batteries and the engine on that side, and plumbing it, was going to be too tight. I am glad it worked out for you though.
post #16 of 48 Old 01-21-2011, 09:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Another 'too late' add...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jss View Post
We are building a duel battery box for the Hemi Jeeps and the 3.8L Jeeps.
This box will work with AEV, BOR, JSS Hemi Kits and also stock 3.8L Jeeps, you can use the stock batteries and Optima Batteries.
We are also working on a duel battery switch

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...t=41501&page=4

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

post #17 of 48 Old 01-22-2011, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick View Post
No, I think you actually solved the problem. My battery tray is a MORE. It's batteries run front to rear. The tray in the link, like a previous post run side to side. The side to side unit give you adequate room to mount the reservoir. So for the purposes of this PSC Steering thread: if you plan on running both PSC and dual batteries, buy a dual battery tray with the batteries installed side to side.

Thanks Maverick - problem solved, lives saved!
post #18 of 48 Old 01-22-2011, 09:03 AM
Rock God

subscribed for now

I'm sure I'll think of something
post #19 of 48 Old 01-24-2011, 03:08 PM
Rock God

Is that a custom front bumper?

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"
post #20 of 48 Old 01-24-2011, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I was going to have some fun with that bumper issue, I was wondering when someone would want to know what that "ultra" stubby bumper was. So I don't sidetrack this write up, I will send you a PM and post the bumper in the Mod section. Thanks
post #21 of 48 Old 01-25-2011, 06:16 PM
Wheeler

subscribed
post #22 of 48 Old 01-25-2011, 09:42 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

One of my next projects. Nice write up.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #23 of 48 Old 01-25-2011, 10:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick View Post
Quote:
No, I think you actually solved the problem. My battery tray is a MORE. It's batteries run front to rear. The tray in the link, like a previous post run side to side. The side to side unit give you adequate room to mount the reservoir. So for the purposes of this PSC Steering thread: if you plan on running both PSC and dual batteries, buy a dual battery tray with the batteries installed side to side.

Thanks Maverick - problem solved, lives saved!

Here's GKR's thread...

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37490

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR View Post
While I was installing the Ripp Gen 2, I decided to build my battery tray. Made changing the passenger plugs easier too.

bolted in

still need to make the tie down bar tomorrow.

post #24 of 48 Old 01-26-2011, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks for another example of the dual battery configuration that will allow room for the reservoir.

I finished up a new reservoir mount, new Poly track bar and ram mount, a double shear/horizontal tie-rod ram mount, and the cooler mount and install. I will be posting up the tech and pics tomorrow.
post #25 of 48 Old 01-26-2011, 06:35 AM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Quote:
I finished up a new reservoir mount, new Poly track bar and ram mount, a double shear/horizontal tie-rod ram mount, and the cooler mount and install. I will be posting up the tech and pics tomorrow.
Im anxious to see the pics. Im about to insall mine, but have already done the same things you have done. I dont have dual batteries, but i installed the resevoir and mounted some tabs where i plan on putting the cooler (im hoping i picked a good spot). I also made a doubler for the track bar bracket out of 1/4 plate with gussets and made some longer mounting tabs for the ram body at the track bar bracket. I purchased the poly tie rod clamp, but it wont work becuase it hits my diff cover. I was trying to avoid it, but it looks like im going to have to weld tabs to the tie rod.

corey d
2008 JEEP...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode