Installing TVandNAV2Go for MyGIG - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Installing TVandNAV2Go for MyGIG

The TVandNAV2Go unit for the MyGIG system unlocks many features of the MyGIG and adds many more features. Input addresses while driving, view DVD movies while in motion, view a backup camera in any gear, add a "baby-cam", output video/audio to multiple screens, unlock UConnect, and much more.

I had this system in my Magnum w/ the REC unit and let me tell you, there is so much more to be gained with this MyGIG unit! Find all the information at www.tvandnav2go.com.

This write-up illustrates how to gain access to the back of the MyGIG system and how to connect TVandNAV2Go's unit.

*NOTE* I have a 2009 Rubicon Unlimited. I can not say if this procedure will be the same for all models and years. It should be used as a guide.

Total time for this procedure will take less than 30 minutes. Most of this time for me was taking pictures, but after one or two times it takes less than 15 minutes. I used these same procedures to install a cell phone mount from Quadratec P/N 17017.005.

So let's get to it! You'll need the following tools:

(1) Flat head screw driver (w/ a 1/4" wide tip)
(1) 7mm nut driver, or 7mm socket and ratchet w/ extension
(2) Hands
(1/2) A Brain

Remove top dash panel over MyGIG unit
Using the screw driver, pry up the forward left and right corners of the dash panel. There are two clips in these corners.

Tilt the dash panel toward you and slide forward.

This picture shows the dash panel removed. You can see the two clips toward the front of the vehicle. Also shown is the GPS Receiver and Satellite Radio Antenna.

Remus ~ 2009 JKU Rubicon

No longer stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Remove lower front dash bezel
Using the screw driver, pry the upper left and right corners of the lower front dash bezel. There are two clips in these corners.

This picture shows the two previously mentions clips. Pull the top of the lower front dash bezel toward you and pull up to disengage two lower tabs.

Remove front upper dash bezel
Using the 7mm wrench, remove the four screws located in each corner of the bezel.

Now using both hands, gently pull forward on the top two corners of the bezel. There are two clips (one left and one right) on each "step" of the bezel. There are no clips on the "step" with the vents. Work your way down each "step" freeing all 6 clips.

Remus ~ 2009 JKU Rubicon

No longer stock.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Remove MyGIG Unit
After the dash is apart, you will see the four screws that hold the MyGIG Unit in place. Using the 7mm wrench, remove the four screws located in the corners of the unit.

*NOTE* Be very careful not to drop these screws!!!

Once the four screws are removed, pull the unit out gently.

This picture shows the back of the MyGIG Unit. Not that I do not have a VES system in my Jeep (missing connector).

Remus ~ 2009 JKU Rubicon

No longer stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Connect TVandNAV2Go's MyGIG Unlocker
Be sure to read, understand, and follow all instructions provided by TVandNAV2Go! This procedure is to be used as a guide. You will notice that I installed the optional MyGIG cable for this unit which will be utilized in the future.

*NOTE* Not shown are the procedures to correctly program TVandNAV2Go's MyGIG Unlocker! This programming needs to be done before hooking up the device. Full instructions are provided by TVandNAV2Go. The "programming procedure" takes about 2 minutes and involves flipping 5 dip-switches to the proper locations.

All of the connectors are made to fit your vehicle and there is no wiring involved. This unit is completely plug-n-play. There is really no way to screw this up.

First, connect the white connector to the back of the MyGIG Unit. If you have the VES system, there will be a white wire harness already here. Unplug the factory harness and plug it into the other end of TVandNAV2Go's white harness.

Unplug the factory gray harness from the unit and plug it into the female end of the gray harness of the TVandNAV2Go unit. Finally, plug the male end of the TVandNAV2Go gray harness into the back of the MyGIG Unit.

Next, plug the black connector of the TVandNAV2Go harness into the TVandNAV2Go module.

The unit is now connected inline to your MyGIG Unit. You may hear a click as the factory unit may turn on for a second as all the connections are reestablished.

Remus ~ 2009 JKU Rubicon

No longer stock.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Stowing the TVandNAV2Go Unit
I chose to stow the unit to the right of the MyGIG Unit. I also zip tied the long lead of wires used to hook up cameras (which will not be used at this time).

Gently push the wire bundle behind the dash to the right of the stock radio location. Then "finesse" the TVandNAV2Go module into the space to the right of the stock radio location. It will fit. Be careful not to push too hard or you run the risk of chafing some of the wires which could cause a short.

Next, stow the white wire harness in the same location. When everything is put back together, the RCA connections will be to the right of the front right vent. Again, this is because I do not have a white factory harness.

Remus ~ 2009 JKU Rubicon

No longer stock.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Reassembly
Be careful putting the MyGIG Unit back into its hole. There are many more wires and harnesses back there. It all fits, but it may take a few tries. Try not to push the unit in too hard or you may run the risk of chafing wires. Replace all four screws at each corner of the unit.

Starting from the bottom, replace the front upper dash bezel in the opposite order as dis-assembly. Line up the lower two clips and press firmly in the left and right sides. Continue this procedure for the remaining four clips.

Remus ~ 2009 JKU Rubicon

No longer stock.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Replace the two screws at the bottom of the front upper dash bezel.

Replace the two screws at the top of the front upper dash bezel.

Tip the top dash panel toward you and slide it back to "hook" the dash, then rotate the front of it down to line up the two clips. Press firmly in each forward most corner to engage the clips.

For the lower dash bezel, align the two tabs into their holes at the bottom of the dash bezel. Engage the bottom of the bezel first by sliding it down, then rotate the top of the bezel toward the front of the vehicle and align the two clips. Press firmly to engage each of the two clips.

Once the unit is installed, refer to the manual provided by TVandNAV2Go about programming certain features.

Enjoy!

Remus ~ 2009 JKU Rubicon

No longer stock.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 11:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice job.

I called them and it is $200 for the one that will fit my 2011 Grand Cherokee. Navigation is useless unless you can input addresses while driving.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #9 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Thanks.

Yeah, I paid $200 as well. It's well worth not having to pull over on the interstate to input an address. I'm hoping to put a baby-cam in shortly as well as a backup cam.

Remus ~ 2009 JKU Rubicon

No longer stock.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to LS6TT

this write up is outstanding, great details on taking the dash apart etc. thats awesome.

-Alex
2010 2dr Sport | 2.5" BB Lift with 4dr Springs | More to come
post #11 of 11 Old 06-20-2015, 07:15 PM
Wheeler

Its a shame pictures get removed from good write ups..

14 JKUR
05 Stretched and Coliovers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode