Another M416 Trailer Build - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 Old 01-04-2011, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Another M416 Trailer Build

I always thought that these little trailers look sweet behind a Jeep. Wasnt planning to build one but one just fell into my lap. Why not then?
Tons-o-pics

This was rusting away in a field behind a friends fathers house.

Last edited by YingYang; 01-04-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 01-04-2011, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Getting everything stripped down.

Sandblaster not doing to much to this paint

On to the stripper

post #3 of 63 Old 01-04-2011, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Gettin it primed.

Starting paint.

Herculining tub, exterior and interior.

New wheels, tires and axle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 63 Old 01-04-2011, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Putting it all together.

New shock brackets. I had to relocate the shocks since I undermounted the axle to give myself room for 33" tires.

post #5 of 63 Old 01-04-2011, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Here she is as of today. I really like what Loki did to his and he has some awesome ideas. I am not sure what this will turn into later but this will be it for now. I think it turned out nice and get great comments anywhere I take it.

post #6 of 63 Old 01-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Rock God

Really like the way that turned out! Well done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud manufacturers of TRAILMOUNTZ Top QUALITY aluminum mounts for LED lighting.
post #7 of 63 Old 01-04-2011, 07:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Very nice! Hopefully I'll start my M416 project upon my redeployment.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 63 Old 01-04-2011, 07:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

sweet!
looks good
since you did the spring under conversion, don't forget to do something about bumpstops so you don't crack the leaves

I used a pair of front bumpstops off of an F-150 2WD that I had laying around, they worked great but a set of generic single post urethane stops would work just as well, just drilled one hole in the frame above where the axle sits on each side and bolted them to the frame rail.

I also used some 4" wide 1/4" plate doubled up to extend the dog leg in the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #9 of 63 Old 01-04-2011, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
sweet!
looks good
since you did the spring under conversion, don't forget to do something about bumpstops so you don't crack the leaves

I used a pair of front bumpstops off of an F-150 2WD that I had laying around, they worked great but a set of generic single post urethane stops would work just as well, just drilled one hole in the frame above where the axle sits on each side and bolted them to the frame rail.
Yea, thought about that. These dang springs are so stiff. I did end up removing 2 of the 10 to make it a little softer. I can still jump in the back of this thing and it doesn't move.
post #10 of 63 Old 01-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I love these trailers. I wish that I could find one to build.
post #11 of 63 Old 01-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Granite Guru

Dude that trailer looks awesome!

Mikey

08 4 door Rubicon, RE 4.5" Long arm lift, Hutchinson Rock Monster Wheels and 37" M16's, Banks exhaust, AFE, Hypertech, Superior 5:13 gears, JE Reel 1350 drivshafts, Fabfour bumpers and rock slider, Tuffy, interior Line-Xed, Warn, Poly Performance, IPF, Lightforce, Hella fogs.
post #12 of 63 Old 01-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Rock God

That is one nice trailer, good work!

I cant imagine buying 7 of those rims!!!!

2007 Wrangler X - Jeep Green, 4" lift, 4.88s, locked rear, custom bumper/fender/cage, rolling on 35s w/ 15s
post #13 of 63 Old 01-04-2011, 10:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Looks great! Simple build with awesome results!
post #14 of 63 Old 01-04-2011, 11:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Very Nice work....at least you had one in better shape to start with than I did...

If you are willing to do some metal cutting and some minor welding to make new mounting points. The easiest way to fit even larger tires is to simply raise your fenders. This will work for say upto 35s, anything bigger and you will likely need to have new fenders custom made due to the distance from the bottom edges is around 36".

I know those springs are stiff as shit with the trailer empty, but once you put a good load on them, you'll see the difference. Keep in mind, my tub was not original, the frame was, but not the tub or tongue. Well I loaded mine completely full of pavers and was pushing 1300#s, yea those springs weren't so stiff and bouncing on that trip....

The possibilities for these things are endless. The number one recommendation I would make though is converting the Pintle/lunette hitch over to a simple 2" receiver and getting yourself a Max Coupler. Once you tow with one, you'll wonder why anyone would want to use anything else..

Again, absolutely a great job!

Edit: Just noticed it had already been modified to a ball clamp hitch....looks like a perfect excuse to build a new, slightly longer tongue and include that 2" receiver.... Hopefully yours will actually simply unbolt like its designed to, I had to actually torch and grind mine off.

/

Last edited by Loki646; 01-04-2011 at 11:57 PM.
post #15 of 63 Old 01-05-2011, 12:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki646 View Post
If you are willing to do some metal cutting and some minor welding to make new mounting points. The easiest way to fit even larger tires is to simply raise your fenders. This will work for say upto 35s, anything bigger and you will likely need to have new fenders custom made due to the distance from the bottom edges is around 36".

Pushed up, expanded a bit, and made a custom bracket to fill between fender and lower tub.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

Last edited by maverick; 01-05-2011 at 12:55 AM.
post #16 of 63 Old 01-05-2011, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Very Nice work....at least you had one in better shape to start with than I did...

I know those springs are stiff as shit with the trailer empty, but once you put a good load on them, you'll see the difference. Keep in mind, my tub was not original, the frame was, but not the tub or tongue. Well I loaded mine completely full of pavers and was pushing 1300#s, yea those springs weren't so stiff and bouncing on that trip....

The possibilities for these things are endless. The number one recommendation I would make though is converting the Pintle/lunette hitch over to a simple 2" receiver and getting yourself a Max Coupler. Once you tow with one, you'll wonder why anyone would want to use anything else..

Again, absolutely a great job!

Edit: Just noticed it had already been modified to a ball clamp hitch....looks like a perfect excuse to build a new, slightly longer tongue and include that 2" receiver.... Hopefully yours will actually simply unbolt like its designed to, I had to actually torch and grind mine off.
Thanks everyone!

Loki, I did not spend near the time you did on yours. When I got the trailer I showed my Wife your thread. I was like wow, this guy is going all out. Im not OCD as you, im more ADD. I put in a little over 3 weeks and most of the work was involved in the tub. I blasted, stripped, sanded, beat, welded, painted until I was sick of looking at this thing.

I have so many ideas rollin around in my head its ridiculous. I would like to extend the tongue, put on a different hitch and make a top for starters. I have checked out the Max Coupler, man they are proud of those things.

I won’t be so lucky as to unbolt. The Bulldog hitch is welded on, so looks like a torch and grinder for me as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rballman View Post
I cant imagine buying 7 of those rims!!!!
LOL - Yea. Luckily I already had the 5 on the JK. I really needed 3 for the trailer but I cheaped out and only got 2. The tires, wheels and axle made this thing expensive. I figured since the trailer cost me $0.00 I could do a little extra and I think the wheels/tires make the trailer.
post #17 of 63 Old 01-05-2011, 10:36 AM
Granite Guru

looks good!

looks like mine!

2008 Rubicon
Rugged Ridge XHD Bumper w/Warn XD9000i
315/70/17 Cooper ST Maxx, No Lift
Superchips Flashpaq
Flow Daddy Headers
Gibson Dual Exhaust
post #18 of 63 Old 01-05-2011, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkoen01 View Post
looks good!

looks like mine!

I like!!! Whats the cover your using?
post #19 of 63 Old 01-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Banned

I was fortunate enough to work out a horse trade recently that landed me an M416 is fair condition (some body rust and needs the bed repaired. Functional for now though.

Anyways, was wondering if you know anywhere I can score those brake lights like you have pictured here:

Here is what mine looks like at this time:

post #20 of 63 Old 01-05-2011, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
I was fortunate enough to work out a horse trade recently that landed me an M416 is fair condition (some body rust and needs the bed repaired. Functional for now though.

Anyways, was wondering if you know anywhere I can score those brake lights like you have pictured here:
Just keep an eye out on G503 or Steel Soldiers one will come up for sale at a realable price. Nice trailer and JK!
post #21 of 63 Old 01-05-2011, 11:59 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by YingYang View Post
I like!!! Whats the cover your using?
it's a lid i made out of wood, nothing special

2008 Rubicon
Rugged Ridge XHD Bumper w/Warn XD9000i
315/70/17 Cooper ST Maxx, No Lift
Superchips Flashpaq
Flow Daddy Headers
Gibson Dual Exhaust
post #22 of 63 Old 01-05-2011, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkoen01 View Post
it's a lid i made out of wood, nothing special
From the pic it kinda looked like a vinyl cover. Show me some close ups. Maybe it will inspire me. Im better with wood than steel.
post #23 of 63 Old 01-05-2011, 03:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Thanks everyone!

Loki, I did not spend near the time you did on yours. When I got the trailer I showed my Wife your thread. I was like wow, this guy is going all out. Im not OCD as you, im more ADD. I put in a little over 3 weeks and most of the work was involved in the tub. I blasted, stripped, sanded, beat, welded, painted until I was sick of looking at this thing.
Well trust me if the tub on mine would have been in the shape of yours, my build probably would have never taken on the life that it did.

Quote:
I have so many ideas rollin around in my head its ridiculous. I would like to extend the tongue, put on a different hitch and make a top for starters. I have checked out the Max Coupler, man they are proud of those things.

I won’t be so lucky as to unbolt. The Bulldog hitch is welded on, so looks like a torch and grinder for me as well.
No, I mean the whole tongue is designed to unbolt from the main frame. there are two bolts per side back at the "wedge" connection then one U-bolt per side at the angle iron at the very front of the tub. Unbolt everything and the whole "A-frame" should come right off, from there you can layout how you want the new tongue to be set up. If you want a longer tongue and want to ditch the Bulldog, then don't waste the time cutting and grinding just the Bulldog off.

/

post #24 of 63 Old 01-05-2011, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
No, I mean the whole tongue is designed to unbolt from the main frame. there are two bolts per side back at the "wedge" connection then one U-bolt per side at the angle iron at the very front of the tub. Unbolt everything and the whole "A-frame" should come right off, from there you can layout how you want the new tongue to be set up. If you want a longer tongue and want to ditch the Bulldog, then don't waste the time cutting and grinding just the Bulldog off.
Yep, I see where it is "suppose" to unbolt but there is a plate welded on the frame and then the bulldog welded on that. Whoever did it may have even tacked onto the lunette/landing leg holder.
post #25 of 63 Old 01-05-2011, 04:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post

Hey Dave, I know these aren't the originals, put they may work for ya....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-O...-/220719157507

/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode