Rutdigger: Snorkel - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 01-02-2011, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to rutdigger
Rutdigger: Snorkel

Ok, this is a fun project. Its very time consuming, but I think will turn out really well.

First you have to make a foam plug to get your shape. I chose to use insulation sheets from Sutherlands. Anyway, cut about 4 or 5 5" inch strips and glue them together with a hot glue glue:

Then you just begin to shape your block to the shape you want your snorkel to look like in the end. I recommend that you go about .75 of an inch smaller in diameter than you want because you are going to be adding fiberglass and bondo later in the process:

Keep shaping until you get the right look, then make your upper piece. Once you get everything looking good wrap it with tape. Painters tape would be better if you have it handy. Make sure you make the indentions for your mounting brackets and to clear the hood and the antenna:

Now go tape off the section around your air box in preparation for a fiberglass mold:

Wrap your plug with fiberglass chop mat. I used small staples to hold the chop mat in place. I would NOT recommend that as they did not come apart like I planned later in the process...grrr.

Lay mat around your air box. Oh...I forgot to mention before you lay any mat give your tape a good once over with Johnsons floor paste wax. This will allow the setup fiberglass to release easily:

2015 Stone White Unlimited Rubicon
To many mods to list..lol
Visit my website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rutdigger; 08-06-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 01-02-2011, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Continued:

Lay your fiberglass resin on your air box and your plug:

Join the plug and the platform you just made together. I used small wire across the top to give the fiberglass something to sit on while it dried:

Ok, now that your plug has dried you will need to find the center line and cut it down its center to be able to pull the two half’s apart. This is where those stupid little staples were a VERY bad idea. Anyway, long story short I could not just simply pull the fiberglass off the plug because of those staples, so I ended up destroying my plug to get the half’s apart:

Profile of the JK fender area:

The two halfs apart and cleaned out and taped together:

Visit my website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rutdigger; 08-06-2011 at 04:38 PM.
post #3 of 36 Old 01-02-2011, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Continued:

Begin laying your fiberglass over one section of thin chop mat. You won't need much because later on you will be using bondo to smooth everything over:

First of many layers of bondo:

Ok..now you need to make a piece that the pre-filter will attach to. I was not able to find the correct diameter plastic pipe I needed so I had to make one. I used a 3" ID pipe for a plug and fiber glassed the outside:

Visit my website:

Last edited by rutdigger; 08-06-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 01-02-2011, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Continued:

While that was drying I rough sanded the layer of bondo:

Primed and wet sanded to be able to see the high and low spots still:

Add your mounting brackets you made out of 16 gauge steel to your snorkel. In these locations is the metal you inserted earlier to be able to drill and tap holes for these screws:

Visit my website:

Last edited by rutdigger; 08-06-2011 at 04:44 PM.
post #5 of 36 Old 01-02-2011, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Continued:

Add the section you made earlier to the top of your snorkel and then attach the snorkel to the Jeep using your mounting locations. Once you have it on and bolted down be very careful to make sure your tube is plum vertically and horizontally. Once you get ot plum make a line so you can recreate it on your bench:

Bring back to your bench, line everything up, trim to length and sand bondo smooth:

Test fit with pre-filter attached:

That's where I'm at on this build. I hope to get it finished in the next few weeks.

Visit my website:

Last edited by rutdigger; 08-06-2011 at 04:50 PM.
post #6 of 36 Old 01-03-2011, 12:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Very impressive!
post #7 of 36 Old 01-03-2011, 05:09 AM
Rock God

I build seat pans for custom HD motorcycle seats the same way, Ive found that if you use fglass cloth you can use the fglas resin to hold it to your form, no more satins staples. Its stronger than the fglas hair, then follow up with resin and hair coats. I really like your projects, got a lot of time on your hands, or just like hanging out in the shop? Check out some of our stuff at Howards killer customs,unsub

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
post #8 of 36 Old 01-03-2011, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittnthebz View Post
Very impressive!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonecollector View Post
I build seat pans for custom HD motorcycle seats the same way, Ive found that if you use fglass cloth you can use the fglas resin to hold it to your form, no more satins staples. Its stronger than the fglas hair, then follow up with resin and hair coats. I really like your projects, got a lot of time on your hands, or just like hanging out in the shop? Check out some of our stuff at Howards killer customs,unsub
Thanks guys. I will definetly check out your stuff Bro, I am all about learning new ideas. When I do speaker boxes I use your techique. I got a wild hair up my ass that day and decided to try the staples...bad idea! lol. Right now I am an industrial equipment tech/fabricator and love all the cool toys for the Jeep but am to cheap to buy them..lol. Plus I love building cool shit. I think my son and I are about to get into RC rock crawling...

Visit my website:

post #9 of 36 Old 01-31-2011, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Welp guys..I have been gone for a bit, but now I am back at home so I thought I would get this snorkel almost completed.

I took off the S-tube from my air box and attached it to the snorkel:

So then I got the first coat of bedliner on it and attached it to the air box to see if it was going to fit. Everything went ok but I could not get the upper post to lock into the air box. No biggy, it's in there pretty good and it not going anywhere:

Then..SETBACK..remember when I mentioned I was concerned about that hump hitting the hood after it was trimmed...well, that is exactly what happend. So, I had to cut out the hump and make a flat piece to go back in it:

Then I glued the new piece in place with resin and added weight:

Added filler and sanded smooth:

Here is a pic of the snorkel almost complete. I am making the trim bezel for the hood now. Then I need to get another coat of paint on it:

Whatcha think so far?

Visit my website:

post #10 of 36 Old 02-01-2011, 09:52 AM
JKO Addict!

I think it is looking killer!
How much time do you have in this project?
post #11 of 36 Old 02-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

It looks good, but I would like to know how much strength the bedliner adds to the fiberglass.
post #12 of 36 Old 02-01-2011, 02:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vryce View Post
It looks good, but I would like to know how much strength the bedliner adds to the fiberglass.
Millions of strength! Of course, I could break it because I am a normal sized guy with average strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader613 View Post
yeah...I decided to go and finish on the tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
actually , I can see my cock , is just a little hard to shave down there
post #13 of 36 Old 02-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Hemo

Rutdigger,

You really do have seriously killer skills and obviously a lot more patience then I have. I am impressed with every single project you have done.

2008 Rubi Unltd • RR Roll Cage - Limb Risers - Evap Skid - Diff Covers • PolyPerf HD Ball Joints • Reid Hi Steer Knuckles • RK 3.5" Triple Threat PRO Longarm • Rebel F & R Coil Overs • sPod Mini • Shrockworks Rock Sliders - Rear Bumper w/ Tire Swing • Xenon Flat Flares • ORO Onboard Air • BD Dual Battery • 5.13 Gears • 35" BFG KM2s • Warn VR12000 Winch • Safari Straps Everything • Tuffy Security Drawer •
post #14 of 36 Old 02-01-2011, 03:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

extremely great attention to detail and great photos to go along with your write up. very well done !

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

post #15 of 36 Old 02-01-2011, 03:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Nicely done!
Looks exactly like my AEV minus the stupid logo
good job!

How much you think it cost you overall?

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #16 of 36 Old 02-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Rock God

That things cool! Love the satisfaction of doing or making something myself
post #17 of 36 Old 02-01-2011, 06:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Great stuff!

post #18 of 36 Old 02-01-2011, 07:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice job. That's a lot of work and time. I have never worked with fiberglass so I have no knowledge about how it works. Newbie question: Does it draw or move as it dries?
post #19 of 36 Old 02-01-2011, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillidge View Post
I think it is looking killer!
How much time do you have in this project?
Ummm...I guess I have probably about 30 man hours into it. Working on it a little here and there, etc.

Visit my website:

post #20 of 36 Old 02-01-2011, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vryce View Post
The bedliner probably doesn't add crap for strenght. The fiber and the filler is what makes it strong. The injected molded plastic is stronger, but I would venture to say if I kissed a rock with this, it would not break. It has several layers of fiberglass on it.

Visit my website:

post #21 of 36 Old 02-01-2011, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemo View Post
Rutdigger,

You really do have seriously killer skills and obviously a lot more patience then I have. I am impressed with every single project you have done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:. View Post
extremely great attention to detail and great photos to go along with your write up. very well done !
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbsjeep View Post
That things cool! Love the satisfaction of doing or making something myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by d'sjk View Post
Great stuff!
Thanks guys!

Visit my website:

post #22 of 36 Old 02-01-2011, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
Nicely done!
Looks exactly like my AEV minus the stupid logo
good job!

How much you think it cost you overall?
I have about 80 bucks in the project so far. That is mainly because I had some filler and fiber left over from a speaker box project that I was able to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4 View Post
Nice job. That's a lot of work and time. I have never worked with fiberglass so I have no knowledge about how it works. Newbie question: Does it draw or move as it dries?
Fiberglass doesn't move as it cures. You can mix it "hot" or normal depending on the amount of time you need to work it. Once it cures, its there to stay.

Visit my website:

post #23 of 36 Old 02-02-2011, 08:27 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutdigger View Post
The bedliner probably doesn't add crap for strenght. The fiber and the filler is what makes it strong. The injected molded plastic is stronger, but I would venture to say if I kissed a rock with this, it would not break. It has several layers of fiberglass on it.
Thanks that clears up a few extra questions, and has help to provide some direction for the creative juices.
post #24 of 36 Old 02-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Granite Guru

man its great to see this thread again Ive been looking for it somewhere else and noticed it had vanished
post #25 of 36 Old 02-04-2011, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DRedRock View Post
man its great to see this thread again Ive been looking for it somewhere else and noticed it had vanished
Thats because the prick banned me..

Visit my website:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode