Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier build - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old 12-18-2010, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier build

So i decided to build my own rear bumper tire carrier, wasnt looking to spend 500-1000 on one and have a little time, so I'm undertaking it.

It will sit flush up to the rear crossmember and the trailer hitch will be mounted directly to the bumper.

Had my "Staff Concept Artist" draw this up for me.
Damn he's good. Notice the patented "upside down door handle" A little something im designing for all those born with that Upside down hand syndrome.

Started with a 3x8x1/4 rectangle tube as the main bumper
And got 10' of 2x3x1/4 for the tire carrier.
This shit is heavy duty....

I cut the bumper to the width of the frame, then used the excess pieces to angle in toward the body for some corner protection.

Didnt like the squared off look, so i angled the ends, I like the way it turned out so far.

Now I'm on to the tire carrier. Started yesterday, but i need to drill 4 1" holes through 1/4 inch steel and broke my drill press in the process.

Does anyone know of anyone near shelbyville/murfreesboro TN that will drill me some 1" holes? I just dont have the equipment to do it..

OR any suggestions on how to do it.....

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!

Last edited by SONIC; 12-18-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 12-18-2010, 08:26 AM
Granite Guru

Looks good so far.

Is that 3"x8" ..... beefy looking. I also like the angle both of the angles you added. Sucks that you broke your drill press...... did you start with small holes and work your way up?

2008 JK X 2dr. Std. Blk
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 45 Old 12-18-2010, 08:29 AM
Rock God

Looking good. I bet it's a heavy mother. Are you going to weld on some shackle tabs or have some sort of recovery points?

With 1/4" you will need a press for sure. You can try starting small and stepping it up but you might break your wrist in the process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 Old 12-18-2010, 08:29 AM
Granite Guru

Don't know anyone in TN, but for your 1" holes you have a few options. Number one, when drilling holes I always start with a pilot hole, use plenty of WD-40, and keep the RPM's as low as necessary to cut. You can use a 1" hole saw... but thats generally really loud, really annoying, and by the third hole you'll want to say F-it! You can use various drill bits, gradually stepping up in size until you reach 1", this method works well if you have a selection of drill bits that range up to 1". Or, my recommendation, would be to use a Unibit and copious amounts of WD-40 so you don't kill you're Unibit. Again, keeping your drill RPM's low will be key, it will cut better and keep the heat down so you don't burn your cutting edge on your bit. Hope that helps! Good luck!

-Jarrett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Worlds most ADVANCED JK Bumpers ever designed

Visit our new website

Become an HD Customs
fan!!
post #5 of 45 Old 12-18-2010, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Yep its 3x8...went to the scrap yard and it was 10 bucks...so i grabbed it haha.

I'll do some recovery points at some point, the plan for now is to use the hitch with the D-ring on it.

Well i got a 1/4 inch hole drilled with the press nicely, then went to a half and that worked, then jumped to an inch and broke the belt drive on the drill haha.

I left my unibits in SC .
Doesn't look like I'm going to be able to get anyone to drill it for me, so il update you guys when i break my wrist.
Youll know when im typing in a cast it will look something like this:
vnnlk;sfakj;lasfdijofslmnklnm;vffajokp

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
post #6 of 45 Old 12-18-2010, 09:09 AM
Granite Guru

if your press is belt driven then take it off and to a auto parts store or a lawn mower repair shop and see if they can match it up to one that will work. have you tried using a corded hand drill going slowly up to one inch in say 1/8th inch increments. i have had to do that before when my press went down. it takes a little longer but works. just make sure you lube up the bit as you go so that it doesnt get to hot and grab.
post #7 of 45 Old 12-18-2010, 09:39 AM
Rock God

I like it. Keep us posted...

Mike
post #8 of 45 Old 12-18-2010, 03:46 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Note sure if you have figured out what you wanna do for the rear swing out but here is something to maybe take a look at. Its the same assembly we use on our JK rear tire carrier.

DIY rear swing out assembly

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #9 of 45 Old 12-18-2010, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Got some more done today....
Fabbed up my tire carrier. Going to lop off the top and cap it, don't like the point up there.

For the hinge im using a 1" grade 8 and some 1" id tubing...
ill work on tha tomorrow or Monday and get some pics of tha process as its what I struggled with the most.

And PIG thanks, but I decided to go all me on this one
All said and done I shouldn't have over 100 bucks in it when finished

-Doc Holiday
post #10 of 45 Old 12-19-2010, 07:25 AM
JKowners Vendor

Looking good!! Like the DIY approach. The only thing I would recommend changing is the big "C" that is on the right rear. Will make it a much better all around rig...

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #11 of 45 Old 12-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Rock God

Garage

Coming along really nice. I was wondering why the tube was yellow, awesome find.
As for the carrier, I would look at the actuall tire position first before you lop the top off. I agree that the point looks silly but you may need the carrier to come up higher so the tire doesn't screw your rear clearance.

Last edited by BadAssJK; 12-19-2010 at 07:59 AM.
post #12 of 45 Old 12-19-2010, 09:03 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Wow, you and I think alike. I did my front bumper very similair to what your doing there. http://www.4x4trailtalk.com/forum/sh...r-on-the-cheap And yeah, it's a heavy bastard. I decided yesterday that I was going to make my own rear bumper with tire carrier rather than buying. I can't wait to see how this turns out. Nice job. Subscribed.
post #13 of 45 Old 12-19-2010, 09:10 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

How is it attached to the frame?
post #14 of 45 Old 12-19-2010, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road.com View Post
Looking good!! Like the DIY approach. The only thing I would recommend changing is the big "C" that is on the right rear. Will make it a much better all around rig...

-Jason
Clemson fan I take it? howd they do this year?

Ben,
If you look in the last picture i posted you can see the frame attachment. It runs from the back side of the bumper welded in on both sides, to the front of the bumper welded in one one side, then runs to the frame and bolts on using the two existing bolts.
I will also use the rear crossmember trailer hitch bolts to hold it on when i get around to drilling them out.
Your bumper looks great, wish i had done that bending method, but didnt have a torch so welding it is .
Thanks for the encouragement guys..

Any recomendations on latches that I can acquire cheaply and locally?

-Doc Holiday

Last edited by SONIC; 12-19-2010 at 09:30 AM.
post #15 of 45 Old 12-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Granite Guru

I didn't realize that you are in Shelbyville! I am in Tullahoma...
post #16 of 45 Old 12-19-2010, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908_Cubbies View Post
I didn't realize that you are in Shelbyville! I am in Tullahoma...
Yup, Bell Buckle actually.
Im just home for christmas though, Bell Buckles the home town. Moved out to SC working on grad school at the moment

-Doc Holiday
post #17 of 45 Old 12-19-2010, 01:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Just so I'm clear. You welded brackets to the bumper that go to the factory mounts? And I'm guessing, but this is what I'm planning, you cut out a hole in the rec tube and welded it to the inside of the outside of the bumper? If that makes any sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
Clemson fan I take it? howd they do this year?

Ben,
If you look in the last picture i posted you can see the frame attachment. It runs from the back side of the bumper welded in on both sides, to the front of the bumper welded in one one side, then runs to the frame and bolts on using the two existing bolts.
I will also use the rear crossmember trailer hitch bolts to hold it on when i get around to drilling them out.
Your bumper looks great, wish i had done that bending method, but didnt have a torch so welding it is .
Thanks for the encouragement guys..

Any recomendations on latches that I can acquire cheaply and locally?
post #18 of 45 Old 12-19-2010, 01:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm gunna go take off my rear bumper right now. Either that or watch my Seahawks get pumelld.
post #19 of 45 Old 12-19-2010, 02:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Just took off the bumper, how easy was that.
post #20 of 45 Old 12-19-2010, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Yep Ben youre right on.

Got a LOT done today while someone was stealin' my thread title haha.

Started by drilling a 1" hole in the 2x3 tube. Then welded in some 1" ID tubing to act as a sleeve (holds grease)

I then welded more of the tube inside the body of the bumper for the tire carrier to mount into.

That should keep the carrier from sagging.
I then decided i wanted to go with a double shear hinge, just to add some more strength, so I got some 1/4 angle and welded a 3/16 sheet to it and cut it roud and pretty and drilled ANOTHER 1" hole.

Finally I cut some 3/16 for the tire mount, welded it to some 2x3 6.5 inches from the carrier and drilled some holes.

-Doc Holiday
post #21 of 45 Old 12-20-2010, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Got a bunch more done today.
Got the hinge all worked out. Got everything mouted up for testing

Put the tire on it, and i got almost no sag, so my hinge is doing great so far. Went and bounced it aroud a bunch to see how it holds up and still opened smoothly...

All thats left is to cap the ends, drill a 3/4 inch hole for the hitch pin that im using to hold it closed (went simple)
And then its off to paint.

-Doc Holiday
post #22 of 45 Old 12-20-2010, 07:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
All thats left is to cap the ends, drill a 3/4 inch hole for the hitch pin that im using to hold it closed (went simple)
And then its off to paint.
Looks good Justin, what latch are you using to close around that hitch pin? I hope its not the same type that my PureJeep(junk) has on it. You know how I keep the swing closed now I will be ordering that Poly latch soon to replace my ratchet strap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #23 of 45 Old 12-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Rock God

Lookin good. Side note, how you liking those tires? I have a set in the garage, just nothing to mount them on aside from the Hummer Rims...

Mike
post #24 of 45 Old 12-20-2010, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Tim, for now mine will just be a drop in pin. It drops through the carrier andinto the bumper. The absolute simplest route haha. I started building a latch like polys but without a cnc its too much of a pain in the ass. And their latch costs more than my bumper hahah.

Lemar, I like the tires a lot so far. The handle great. Haven't had them offroad much yet though although I imagine they will be quite good.

-Doc Holiday
post #25 of 45 Old 12-21-2010, 10:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

So you have a bolt going down into the bumper for your swing? I think I'm not getting something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode