ESP FULLY OFF for your jk (08-11?) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 85 Old 12-17-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

ESP FULLY OFF for your jk (08-11?)

i just thought i would put this where EVERYONE can find it easily and not have to roam the interweb for it. so here it is....

The destructions are on page 113 of my manual under Disabling ESP for Modified Vehicles.

instructions:

1: Shift transfer case into the 4h position
2: Turn the steering wheel until it is centered and the wheels are pointed straight ahead
3: Cycle the Ignition key off to on
4: Wait approximately five seconds for the system bulb check
5: Turn and hold the steering wheel one half turn to the right(clockwise)
6: press and hold the ESP OFF button for seven seconds(i believe a chime sounds)
7: Turn the steering wheel back center, and turn and hold an additional one half turn to the left(counter clockwise)
8: Press and hold the ESP OFF for seven seconds
9: turn the steering wheel back to center
10: Press and hold the ESP OFF button for seven seconds
11: Cycle the ignition key to off

After performing the ESP disable procedure correctly, ESP OFF will be displayed in the odometer for app. 12 seconds each time the ignition is moved to ON. Repeating the ESP disable procedure will re-enable normal ESP operations

thats straight from the book. it took me a couple times to do it.

hope this helps every one out, i know i hate the stupid ESP....

Rescue Green 2008 Sahara Unlimited; RK 3.5 max travel; 37" Toyo Mt; PSC Brawler lite front bumper; PSC rock brawler rear w/ tire carrier; OR-Fab rock guards; Aev hood

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 Old 12-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Rock God

You can just put a switch on the jeep. Its easy, toggle switch it, tried to use a power switch and could not get it to work right. went to a toggle switch and it worked great. I now can turn off the esp in 2 wheel drive to have fun and slide around, 4high, and 4low. b1pig has a write up on this, mavrick as well. I put the switch in so I could just flip it and go, then just flip it back, turn off the jeep and restart and go.now I can turn it off a few different ways.

2010 2 door sport, 6 speed,Dark Charcoal Pearl

Last edited by 2010jk; 12-22-2010 at 03:51 PM.
post #3 of 85 Old 12-22-2010, 03:46 PM
JKO Addict!

I did the first post to mine a couple thousand miles after I bought it. Never looked back!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 85 Old 12-22-2010, 10:07 PM
Rock God

I'm working on getting the updated flashed for my 07 to allow this to work...

Last edited by axsys; 05-08-2011 at 11:34 PM.
post #5 of 85 Old 12-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Granite Guru

How is this different than turning it off by pressing the ESP button? Is it just that it stays turned off even when the ignition is cycled?

Also, once you've done this procedure, does the yellow skidding car light stay on at all times?

2009 X 2-door 6-speed
budget boost, bilsteins, discos, 35's, 4.88's, and more issues than TV Guide

Last edited by Idriveoverstuff; 12-23-2010 at 02:42 AM.
post #6 of 85 Old 12-23-2010, 03:02 AM
Granite Guru

Ok, I've read the manual and another post about this and I'm confused. Here's my understanding thus far:

Pressing the ESP button kills the ESP and the type of traction control that cuts the throttle, but leaves the brake-lock diff function (another form of traction control) on. Apparently this is the same situation as when you shift into 4 low. Am I right so far?

The main reason I'm asking is because I want to be able to do stupid things in the snow with 2wd. I've blown doughnuts in mud before in 2wd with ESP off, and I heard the brakes working, but I assumed that was the brake-lock diff function, which in that case would actually be helping me slide because it helps keep both wheels spinning. However, if you turn the ESP "off" by pressing the button and the ESP is actually just functioning at a higher threshold, that would make it harder do doughnuts if it was cutting in and applying brakes to stop the skid. Is THAT why this mod is useful?

2009 X 2-door 6-speed

Last edited by Idriveoverstuff; 12-23-2010 at 03:33 AM.
post #7 of 85 Old 12-23-2010, 04:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriveoverstuff View Post
How is this different than turning it off by pressing the ESP button? Is it just that it stays turned off even when the ignition is cycled?

Also, once you've done this procedure, does the yellow skidding car light stay on at all times?
Just pressing the button turns it to "partial off". The only way it is not influencing what you are doing is when it says "esp off" on the dash display (like you are in 4-low).

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #8 of 85 Old 12-23-2010, 06:33 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Just pressing the button turns it to "partial off". The only way it is not influencing what you are doing is when it says "esp off" on the dash display (like you are in 4-low).
So its still there but waits longer to cut in, or what?

2009 X 2-door 6-speed
post #9 of 85 Old 12-23-2010, 06:46 AM
Rock God

Garage

Isn't there just a relay you can pull out for this?
post #10 of 85 Old 12-23-2010, 07:03 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
So its still there but waits longer to cut in, or what?
I think it changes from stability control, to traction control. But I'd have to look into it again. Such as in stability for normal driving, you hit traction control in snow and it should try to gain as much traction as it can. I may be confusing that with my BMW crap I know

post #11 of 85 Old 12-23-2010, 07:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
That's weird. I had the dealer flash mine ('07) and disable it earlier this year. The only light that's on is the traction control light.

edit: completely forgot. It does flash "ESP OFF" in the odometer after starting up.

Last edited by HOOLIGAN; 12-23-2010 at 07:47 AM.
post #12 of 85 Old 12-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Rock God

like I said up top, to get the esp to be off in 2wheel drive, to have fun, the abs,airbags,esp every thing is off by putting in a toggle switch like I did. its very simple to do, look for the write up on this.

post #13 of 85 Old 12-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash View Post
That's weird. I had the dealer flash mine ('07) and disable it earlier this year. The only light that's on is the traction control light.

edit: completely forgot. It does flash "ESP OFF" in the odometer after starting up.
Yep, I just tried it on mine, it flashes the message in the odometer and "bings" once every time you start it. But unfortunately that yellow skidding car symbol stays lit up at all times. As for the function of ESP in this state versus just pressing the button, I figure I'll take the scientific route and see if the jeep does doughnuts in the snow any better now than before. Its grueling work, but these are important questions.

2009 X 2-door 6-speed
post #14 of 85 Old 12-23-2010, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Yep, I just tried it on mine, it flashes the message in the odometer and "bings" once every time you start it. But unfortunately that yellow skidding car symbol stays lit up at all times. As for the function of ESP in this state versus just pressing the button, I figure I'll take the scientific route and see if the jeep does doughnuts in the snow any better now than before. Its grueling work, but these are important questions.
The esp off just controls the roll mitigation, it still leaves every thing else(abs)the same.

Rescue Green 2008 Sahara Unlimited; RK 3.5 max travel; 37" Toyo Mt; PSC Brawler lite front bumper; PSC rock brawler rear w/ tire carrier; OR-Fab rock guards; Aev hood

post #15 of 85 Old 12-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Rock God

Garage

I did the steering wheel hokey-pokey after BCC installed my Rk 2.5 max travel, terra flex front brakes and Rebel offroad's rear Alpha 1 brakes. I was dying to get out and try the 37's in the snow, but they hadn't had time for the alignment and steering re-center. I got the early skid braking on the on/off ramp.
I can't see going back to computer controlled traction desist, so I am no longer planning the switched control.
post #16 of 85 Old 12-23-2010, 08:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Do you think it is the ESP that is telling my ABS to cycle the brakes, when I'm going into a cloverleaf, exiting the freeway, and the Jeep leans/rolls everso slightly? I'm only going 15 mph, but the brakes cycle ferociously like I'm going 85 mph and hit ice!

Let me know what you think...

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #17 of 85 Old 12-23-2010, 08:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzcode View Post
Do you think it is the ESP that is telling my ABS to cycle the brakes, when I'm going into a cloverleaf, exiting the freeway, and the Jeep leans/rolls everso slightly? I'm only going 15 mph, but the brakes cycle ferociously like I'm going 85 mph and hit ice!

Let me know what you think...

RC
Probably a combination with the steering wheel not being perfectly centered, higher center of gravity, and yes the "stability control" is saying you need to slow down for that turn (if the wheel is off it thinks you are turning more than you are)

post #18 of 85 Old 12-23-2010, 11:06 PM
Rock God

Does any one see what I posted up? all you have to do is put a switch in and I turns every thing off, thats every thing WTF is with all the questions? I have told you all that if you want the esp,abs your airbags, to be off so you can play in the snow or what ever and not have the esp,abs shit turn on and screw with your fun put the switch in its simple, its a purple,with a dark blue stripe wire, or keep asking the same questions and not use you brains, when we keep telling you what to do you guy are thinking way to hard about this. I think mikesRubi did a write up on this and their is one on the other thread, READ IT PLEASE. Its all their. Monster,goody,know what I am talking about. rant over

Last edited by 2010jk; 12-23-2010 at 11:09 PM.
post #19 of 85 Old 12-23-2010, 11:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010jk View Post
Does any one see what I posted up? all you have to do is put a switch in and I turns every thing off, thats every thing WTF is with all the questions? I have told you all that if you want the esp,abs your airbags, to be off so yu can play int the snow or what ever and not have the esp,abs shit turn on and screw with your fun put the switch in its simple, its a purple,with a dark blue stripe wire, or keep asking the same questions and not use you brains when we keep telling you what to do you guy are thinking way to hard about this. I think mikesRubi did a write up on this and their is one on the other thread, READ IT PLEASE. Its all their.
Dude chill, Does anyone not read what I post up? There's a fawking sticky if they want to look that those write-ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
ECU - Mods/Sensor Bypass/ESP/Engine managment:
ESP FULLY OFF for your jk (08-11?) Monster Jk
ESP kill... b1pig
ESP Switch Mod Jkmike07

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #20 of 85 Old 12-23-2010, 11:30 PM
Rock God

sorry man just had a little blow up, gets old, and I should just move on when I see that.

Last edited by 2010jk; 12-23-2010 at 11:33 PM.
post #21 of 85 Old 12-24-2010, 07:40 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
sorry man just had a little blow up, gets old, and I should just move on when I see that.
You're right, after reading the other threads (which included your posts), when I still had questions about ESP I should have kept them to myself and just started hacking into wires instead, even though I didn't understand the purpose. Brilliant.

2009 X 2-door 6-speed

Last edited by Idriveoverstuff; 12-24-2010 at 07:46 AM.
post #22 of 85 Old 12-24-2010, 11:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Does any one see what I posted up? all you have to do is put a switch in and I turns every thing off, thats every thing WTF is with all the questions? I have told you all that if you want the esp,abs your airbags, to be off so you can play in the snow or what ever and not have the esp,abs shit turn on and screw with your fun put the switch in its simple, its a purple,with a dark blue stripe wire, or keep asking the same questions and not use you brains, when we keep telling you what to do you guy are thinking way to hard about this. I think mikesRubi did a write up on this and their is one on the other thread, READ IT PLEASE. Its all their. Monster,goody,know what I am talking about. rant over
I drive my Jeep like it's a Jeep and not a sportscar. I don't need ESP so I just turned It off. I have no plans of turning it back on. Your solution doesn't work for everyone. Relax.

☠ ☠ Don't let fear and common sense stop ya. ☣ ☣
post #23 of 85 Old 12-24-2010, 12:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Probably a combination with the steering wheel not being perfectly centered, higher center of gravity, and yes the "stability control" is saying you need to slow down for that turn (if the wheel is off it thinks you are turning more than you are)
Thanks Goody, I appreciate it.

RC

Quote:
Gee, who pissed in your Wheaties today? I think someone needs a "warm glass of shut the hell up", to go along with the chilling that was recommended.

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #24 of 85 Old 12-24-2010, 03:14 PM
Rock God

Quote:
You're right, after reading the other threads (which included your posts), when I still had questions about ESP I should have kept them to myself and just started hacking into wires instead, even though I didn't understand the purpose. Brilliant.
I am not going to get in a pissing match, but I will say this. You have a 09 and from what I can tell you have no idea what the esp does? or you want it all the way off like I did and many others have, plus its in goldnights sticky, on how to do this yet you still have questions? not sure what other questions there are? its simple, you want it all the way off in two wheel drive? thats what the switch is for, nothing works, abs,airbags,esp all off. I hope this helps you to understand a little more, or go read the sticky. Brilliant

post #25 of 85 Old 12-24-2010, 03:17 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash View Post
I drive my Jeep like it's a Jeep and not a sportscar. I don't need ESP so I just turned It off. I have no plans of turning it back on. Your solution doesn't work for everyone. Relax.
I know it does not work for every one, its for those that want it off. I never said it was for ever one, Relaxing now

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode