Speed up your USB car charger. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 12-10-2010, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Speed up your USB car charger.

This is a simple mod. You're basically connecting two points on the USB charger to tell your phone to charge as if it's connected to the wall charger not a computer.

I purchased this USB charger from deal extreme. The first two images are the finished product. I didn't take pictures before working on it.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.40470

This one is glued together. Some are easier to open. For this one I had to cut along the glue lines. I use a razor blade and just cut enough so I can open it with a screwdriver. I use a small screw driver and pry it open to break the bond.

Once you have it open take out the board.

You'll need to solder pins 2 and 3 together. Generaly they are in the middle. If you want you can check the pins with a voltmeter. I circled the two points that need to be solderd together.

The pins should look like this when you're done.

Put the case back together. I use an epoxy and it holds the cases really good. If you are careful when cutting the seam you can actually save the grooves that connect the top and bottom. I put the epoxy in the grooves and clean it up after it has dried. In the third image you can see the grooves on the case. This one was actual the toughest one to open and it came out pretty good. Not all chargers need this done. This one, when plugged into my phone, only charged at USB speeds not wall charger speeds until the mod was complete. Before plugging in your expensive device check the voltage/amps and such with a voltmeter first.

Disclaimer:
Don't ever leave anything plugged into an always on cig lighter. Some cheaply made chargers and adapters will get hot over time and can start to burn if you leave them plugged in and on 24/7. If you decide to do this mod you are doing it at your own risk. I am not responsibile if you make a mistake or don't check your connections before plugging in your device. I haven't had
have any issues and have done this mod plenty of times. Razor blades are sharp if you have issues with sharp objects you might want to pass on this one.

Last edited by WeGo4x4; 12-10-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-10-2010, 07:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Did you do one of these for E-Jeep by chance?
post #3 of 10 Old 12-10-2010, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Nope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-11-2010, 12:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
Did you do one of these for E-Jeep by chance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeGo4x4 View Post
Nope.
Nothin' like turning up the heat on a piece of crap Chinese electrical product!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-11-2010, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post
Nothin' like turning up the heat on a piece of crap Chinese electrical product!
Actually you're not turning up the heat. You are just telling the phone it's not hooked up to a data connection. If you look at the schematic of the USB port pins two and three are for data connections. Most chargers already have these shorted out. The disclaimer is for people that short out pins 1 and 4 on the usb port or just dump a ton of solder on the whole board.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-11-2010, 07:56 PM
JKO Addict!

I didn't mean literal heat, I meant juice. Be careful with that thing, especially the way people have been turning their Jeep into original recipe buckets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-11-2010, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post
I didn't mean literal heat, I meant juice. Be careful with that thing, especially the way people have been turning their Jeep into original recipe buckets.
I totally understand. You are right. The crap from China shouldn't be trusted, that's why I put the disclaimer in. The always on port shouldn't have anything left plugged in I don't care who makes it.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-11-2010, 09:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Why not just buy one, I got one for my iPhone at Wally world for 12 bucks, it 1 amp I think, all I know is it charges it faster than any where else.

If you were going to all this why not do the same on your radio? I plan on doing this to my mygig one Of these days, solder a cable inside to the front USB connection and add the missing "charge" feature as well. All the cords in the jeep are driving me nuts!

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
Why not just buy one, I got one for my iPhone at Wally world for 12 bucks, it 1 amp I think, all I know is it charges it faster than any where else.

If you were going to all this why not do the same on your radio? I plan on doing this to my mygig one Of these days, solder a cable inside to the front USB connection and add the missing "charge" feature as well. All the cords in the jeep are driving me nuts!
Then you couldn't load anything onto the MyGig via USB drive.

Last edited by axsys; 05-08-2011 at 11:59 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-12-2010, 09:28 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by axsys View Post
Then you couldn't load anything onto the MyGig via USB drive.
Sounds like we need an "adapter cable" with the shorted pins to plug into the mygig for charging, then bypass the cable for data connections when needed.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode