ESP kill... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 Old 12-06-2010, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig
ESP kill...

just posting this one up... did this one a few months ago.

ESP (Electronic Stability Program) is the skid and traction control function. In 2wd, you may disable the traction control portion of it, but if the Jeep gets a tad bit sideways, ESP will kick in. This can be highly annoying when you don't need it. In the '07 JKs, you can disable the ESP/Trac/ABS by cutting power to the vehicle's accelerometer.

For '08-up JKs, the ESP can be disabled by doing the steering wheel hokey-pokey. Disabling ESP in this manner disables only the ESP/Traction functions and does NOT affect the ABS. It is not an option for '07 JK owners. There was an update to the TIPM firmware, however this has never enabled the ability to disable the ESP in my JK. Sadly. That being said, I've waited on doing this mod until my rig was out of warranty.

I removed my center console completely. (also a perfect time to run the shop-vac in there )

I decided to snip the wire just before the accelerometer. While removing the console, the center section literally snaps off of the console... and makes removal easier. Since I was also looking for a place to put the switch, it was a good idea, because the console has two pieces. If you pick the wrong place, you have to drill through TWO pieces of plastic. I found the bast place just above and behind the parking brake.

The accelerometer is mounted behind the parking brake under the center console.

The wiring harness runs along the top of the transmission tunnel. In the bundle of wires, the one I was looking for is the purple wire with the light blue stripe... which also happens to be on the top right of the plug. All you have to do is snip the wire and install a single pole, single throw switch inline.

Then there is switch placement to consider. I already have a full Daystar lower panel with one unused switch. While it was considered, I decided not to use it. Killing my ESP will be a rare option, so the switch does not need to be up front.

After placing the switch and wires, I reinstalled the console. All went well. Wires were spliced in and the console mounted. The test confirmed that it does cut out all ESP functions. Initially, I wasn't sure how I would feel about the ABS being disabled as well. After full consideration, I think it rounds out the intent of the mod, which is to improve the way my JK will perform OFFROAD. With the ABS off, I can fully lock my brakes which is really a desired option when wheeling.

With that thought in mind, I realize that the squiggly car, ESP/BAS and ABS lights being lit is distracting, but when you're offroad, most of your attention is directed outside anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 12-06-2010, 06:27 PM
JKO Addict!

I did the same thing WITHOUT removing the center console. As you (b1pig) have yours apart, you could trace the wire up to the dash... it can be accessed at the juncture between the dash and the console.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig View Post
With that thought in mind, I realize that the squiggly car, ESP/BAS and ABS lights being lit is distracting, but when you're offroad, most of your attention is directed outside anyway.
Once you're done playing without the ABS, simply complete the circuit again, shut your ignition off, and restart... to reset everything.

If you look closely in the photo below you will see two crimp slices where I intercepted the purle w/ blue line wire and ran the wiring up to my dash-mounted 'Normally Closed' switch.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

Last edited by maverick; 12-08-2010 at 01:25 AM.
post #3 of 58 Old 12-07-2010, 04:44 AM
Rock God

Does it also kill the airbags ( also a plus off road?)

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 Old 12-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonecollector View Post
Does it also kill the airbags ( also a plus off road?)
nope.

www.californiasurveillanceinvestigators.com
post #5 of 58 Old 12-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Granite Guru

Doing this tomorrow!!! Thanks!

RENEGADE
post #6 of 58 Old 12-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARB View Post
Doing this tomorrow!!! Thanks!
FYI... if you do some searching... you'll find this is a 10 minute job and you dont have to take anything apart to get to the wire...

www.californiasurveillanceinvestigators.com
post #7 of 58 Old 12-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlegRock View Post
FYI... if you do some searching... you'll find this is a 10 minute job and you dont have to take anything apart to get to the wire...
^^^^^ (and SDMF = GAY)

But yeah - snip - no removing anything.

post #8 of 58 Old 12-08-2010, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Never said it was the only way.. just my way.

thx.

post #9 of 58 Old 12-16-2010, 11:06 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Never said it was the only way.. just my way.

thx.
they also fail to see the fact that you added a switch where you wanted and that could only be done cleanly by taking apart the console. Nice work man, and on mine, i did the hookey pokey and i have the swirvy car on mine at all times.... that and i took the stupid seat belt ding off.

Rescue Green 2008 Sahara Unlimited; RK 3.5 max travel; 37" Toyo Mt; PSC Brawler lite front bumper; PSC rock brawler rear w/ tire carrier; OR-Fab rock guards; Aev hood

post #10 of 58 Old 12-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Rock God

Ok question, I am wanting to do this as well. I was thinking the 2010's have some kinda thing that you do with the steering wheel/ but I can not seam to find it fawk me. or can we just do the switch as well? thanks

2010 2 door sport, 6 speed,Dark Charcoal Pearl
post #11 of 58 Old 12-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010jk View Post
Ok question, I am wanting to do this as well. I was thinking the 2010's have some kinda thing that you do with the steering wheel/ but I can not seam to find it fawk me. or can we just do the switch as well? thanks
hey, its in the manual, you have to look in one sections and it tells you to look in another section. Pm me and i will see if i can find the page for you.... shit... ill just go look right now for ya.... back to edit in a min

EDIT: its on page 113 of my manual under Disabling ESP for Modified Vehicles.

instructions:

1: Shift transfer case into the 4h position
2: Turn the steering wheel until it is centered and the wheels are pointed straight ahead
3: Cycle the Ignition key off to on
4: Wait approximately five seconds for the system bulb check
5: Turn and hold the steering wheel one half turn to the right(clockwise)
6: press and hold the ESP OFF button for seven seconds(i believe a chime sounds)
7: Turn the steering wheel back center, and turn and hold an additional one half turn to the left(counter clockwise)
8: Press and hold the ESP OFF for seven seconds
9: turn the steering wheel back to center
10: Press and hold the ESP OFF button for seven seconds
11: Cycle the ignition key to off

After performing the ESP disable procedure correctly, ESP OFF will be displayed in the odometer for app. 12 seconds each time the ignition is moved to ON. Repeating the ESP disable procedure will re-enable normal ESP operations

thats straight from the book. it took me a couple times to do it.

Rescue Green 2008 Sahara Unlimited; RK 3.5 max travel; 37" Toyo Mt; PSC Brawler lite front bumper; PSC rock brawler rear w/ tire carrier; OR-Fab rock guards; Aev hood

Last edited by Monster Jk; 12-17-2010 at 10:50 AM.
post #12 of 58 Old 12-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Rock God

Thanks Monster, I should have looked their but was sure I saw it here but just could not find it, Thats a lot of this and that to get it to turn off, I am wondering if I can just put a switch on and turn it off that way? EDIT I knew how to do that I was thinking of turning it of in 2wheel drive all the way off, as I can turn it off 1/2 way but it still turn on when I am trying to have some fun,

Last edited by 2010jk; 12-17-2010 at 03:08 PM.
post #13 of 58 Old 12-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Garage

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #14 of 58 Old 12-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Rock God

Ok I will give this a try thanks Hit, and monster

post #15 of 58 Old 12-17-2010, 05:42 PM
Rock God

any time and it really is a lot easier than you think... you pretty much turn the steering wheel one way push a button, turn it the other way push a button, ect.....

post #16 of 58 Old 12-18-2010, 12:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
Why didn't they make it a simple fucking switch? How many vehicles currently have switches to control performance? WTF!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

post #17 of 58 Old 12-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick View Post
Why didn't they make it a simple fucking switch? How many vehicles currently have switches to control performance? WTF!
They make it difficult so some fool doesn't just turn it off by mistake..... rolls the Jeep, and ends up suing Jeep b/c it was so easy to deactivate.

I'm surprised they didn't add another 5 steps

2008 JK X 2dr. Std. Blk
post #18 of 58 Old 12-20-2010, 04:11 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick View Post
Well, there is the ESP disable button...
But it only disables "some" functions, like the button on most cars...

This mod is for full disable, which most cars dont have either.

Gotta do mine soon, stupid ESP (even when soft disabled) kicks in when I try to drift in the snow...
You hear the brakes working against the engine...
post #19 of 58 Old 12-20-2010, 05:40 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

this is what i needed to see this morning in 28 degrees while I wait for the snow to stop so i can go snowblow the driveway..... a Jeep with a 100 degree temp reading on the dash ....
post #20 of 58 Old 12-20-2010, 09:09 AM
Granite Guru

Do you have to switch into 4hi for the manual esp disable to work? Can it not be done in 2wd in case you want to slide in the snow or sand?
post #21 of 58 Old 12-20-2010, 09:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
In the '07 JKs, you can disable the ESP/Trac/ABS by cutting power to the vehicle's accelerometer.

For '08-up JKs, the ESP can be disabled by doing the steering wheel hokey-pokey. Disabling ESP in this manner disables only the ESP/Traction functions and does NOT affect the ABS. It is not an option for '07 JK owners. There was an update to the TIPM firmware, however this has never enabled the ability to disable the ESP in my JK. Sadly. That being said, I've waited on doing this mod until my rig was out of warranty.
I've got one of the earliest 07's made. Took it in to the dealer and they were able to update the firmware to allow my to do the "steering wheel dance". Why is it you think this isn't an option for the 07's and why did the dealer say it wouldn't work in yours?
post #22 of 58 Old 12-21-2010, 03:34 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejk09 View Post
Do you have to switch into 4hi for the manual esp disable to work? Can it not be done in 2wd in case you want to slide in the snow or sand?
thats just the step you have to do. like some one said, its so that you dont accidently do it.... So, no, i dont think it can be done it 2 wheel drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash View Post
I've got one of the earliest 07's made. Took it in to the dealer and they were able to update the firmware to allow my to do the "steering wheel dance". Why is it you think this isn't an option for the 07's and why did the dealer say it wouldn't work in yours?
Scooter, are you the same scooter from "over there" lol. Went wheelin with ya?
anyways, i believe it was trial and error. They noticed what the people were saying and decided to do some thing about it. Like a new gadget, ya have to put out the first run to see what to improve on the second. As for his dealer, probably because he didnt know or he was just an ass and didnt want to take the time to flash your system.

EDIT: never mind, i see you have a red sahara jeep and his was a black rubi

post #23 of 58 Old 12-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Rock God

Ok so I am going to put in a switch for this esp so I can 2wheel drive this thing in the snow and have some fun. Maybe to night I will let you know what happens.

post #24 of 58 Old 12-22-2010, 05:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Jk View Post

Scooter, are you the same scooter from "over there" lol. Went wheelin with ya?
I did have this name "over there" but I got banned awhile back. I had a couple other names too, but they got banned also.
post #25 of 58 Old 12-30-2010, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash View Post
honestly, i dont know why it would not work. before the reflash came out, the TIPM had to be replaced. when it came in, the dealer said it had the latest firmware. when it didnt work, i carried the sheet up to the dealer and left it with them for two days. they never could get it to work. TSB-05-001-08

after that, i said screw it, i'll put in a kill switch. its honestly less b.s. than their way of doing it... and it doesnt confuse the wife, either.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode