Stock driveshaft CV joint disassembly/regreasing - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 12-05-2010, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Stock driveshaft CV joint disassembly/regreasing

I was getting the ratcheting sound of my rear driveshaft. Decided that since the boot wasn't torn, I can re-service the joint and push fresh grease through it and get it along for another few months...So I took just a few pics...not many because it's very messy and I didn't want to change gloves every 30 seconds!

Remove the driveshaft with the 8bolts on each flange. The axle side will probably need to be knocked off using the access holes (not threaded) on the backside of the flange.

To take the transfer case side of the joint apart (with a good boot in place) knock the ring off gently with a punch hammer all the way around. That will leave the boot/clamp on the shaft and remove the boot from the joint. You will be able to see the ring the boot is attached to pressed over the joint end. (sorry no pics)

From there you separate the 'cap' off the joint. Same thing, gently with a punch/hammer to remove it. From there you can see all the nasty grease that may still be left in the joint, but probably isn't doing much good.

Pic with the cap off (new grease already in)

On the top of the shaft there will be a snap ring, remove it. Here is an extraordinarily crappy picture of the shaft where the snap ring will be

Now you need to push the shaft out of the joint. It is splined and a snug fit. While setting the joint in a vice (not clamp, set) I used an air hammer to push the shaft out while holding the driveshaft so that it would not fall. Came out fairly easily with that method.

Now each ball of the CV needs to be popped out. Rotating the joint you will gain access to just pop them out, take note on how the cage is positioned in the joint. One side has a lip/more travel versus the other side, needs to be reinstalled the same way!

Once all your balls are out you will have the cage left in it. Took a little messing with, but I was able to work mine out without much trouble

Empty joint

Clean everything! (used brake clean and eleventy million paper towels).

----------------------------------------

Reassembly I did dry and in reverse order.

- Install the cage
- Pop your balls in (giggle if you want)
- Reinstall the 'cap' on the same side it came off
- Lay it cap down on the table/bench

Cut the corner of your CV grease bag and force all the grease through the center/shaft opening. You will see it press through all of the bearings

Crappy picture, remove the cap again.

Put the axle on the floor and press the joint back on the splines (mine took no more effort than that when clean). Make sure the bolt holes line up with the boot still on the axle. Then reinstall the snap ring you forgot you had!

Put the cap back on, bolt in, and go!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-05-2010, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Took it for a ride. Ratcheting noise is completely gone now. I will spend the other $10 and do the other two cv joints soon. I was amazed at how dry it was at only 25k

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #3 of 5 Old 08-31-2011, 12:31 PM
lve

What's up Mike? I am about to do this. I'm glad you did this write up. What happened to pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
I was getting the ratcheting sound of my rear driveshaft. Decided that since the boot wasn't torn, I can re-service the joint and push fresh grease through it and get it along for another few months...So I took just a few pics...not many because it's very messy and I didn't want to change gloves every 30 seconds!

Remove the driveshaft with the 8bolts on each flange. The axle side will probably need to be knocked off using the access holes (not threaded) on the backside of the flange.

To take the transfer case side of the joint apart (with a good boot in place) knock the ring off gently with a punch hammer all the way around. That will leave the boot/clamp on the shaft and remove the boot from the joint. You will be able to see the ring the boot is attached to pressed over the joint end. (sorry no pics)

From there you separate the 'cap' off the joint. Same thing, gently with a punch/hammer to remove it. From there you can see all the nasty grease that may still be left in the joint, but probably isn't doing much good.

Pic with the cap off (new grease already in)

On the top of the shaft there will be a snap ring, remove it. Here is an extraordinarily crappy picture of the shaft where the snap ring will be

Now you need to push the shaft out of the joint. It is splined and a snug fit. While setting the joint in a vice (not clamp, set) I used an air hammer to push the shaft out while holding the driveshaft so that it would not fall. Came out fairly easily with that method.

Now each ball of the CV needs to be popped out. Rotating the joint you will gain access to just pop them out, take note on how the cage is positioned in the joint. One side has a lip/more travel versus the other side, needs to be reinstalled the same way!

Once all your balls are out you will have the cage left in it. Took a little messing with, but I was able to work mine out without much trouble

Empty joint

Clean everything! (used brake clean and eleventy million paper towels).

----------------------------------------

Reassembly I did dry and in reverse order.

- Install the cage
- Pop your balls in (giggle if you want)
- Reinstall the 'cap' on the same side it came off
- Lay it cap down on the table/bench

Cut the corner of your CV grease bag and force all the grease through the center/shaft opening. You will see it press through all of the bearings

Crappy picture, remove the cap again.

Put the axle on the floor and press the joint back on the splines (mine took no more effort than that when clean). Make sure the bolt holes line up with the boot still on the axle. Then reinstall the snap ring you forgot you had!

Put the cap back on, bolt in, and go!

Last edited by lve; 08-31-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-05-2012, 06:12 PM
lve

pics?

Hey Mike. Hows it going? What happened to the pics on this thread? Want to do this soon and your ther only thread I can find on it.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-05-2012, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Not sure, but they are here

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61254

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode