Install Tip: RCV Boots (While on vehicle) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 11-28-2010, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Install Tip: RCV Boots (While on vehicle)

I thought I would pass on an "Install Tip" (actually it's a re-install tip), for re-seating the boots on your RCV axles.

When you first install the boots, it is important that you fully seat the boot onto the spherical cv joint. When you do, there is a "positive feel" to the boot somewhat suctioning itself to the spherical exterior of the cv joint. If for some reason you do what I did, and properly install one side, only to rush the other side like a dumbass, it will leave you with a improperly seated boot. Repeat after me, this is bad.

To properly re-seat the boot onto your RCV joint, you must either A) tear everything apart and pull your axle out, or B) follow the tip below and save yourself some time and headache:

First, jack up your rig and remove your wheel. Then, using the RCV boot installation tool, and a pry bar, position the pry bar behind the boot installation tool, and gently pry the boot toward the RCV joint. When it is halfway on, rotate the boot installation tool 180 degrees, and gently pry the tool into the boot.

NOTE: If you use the RCV boot installation tool alone, most likely you will not be able to apply enough pressure to properly seat the boot all the way onto the RCV.

Anyway, I hope this helps!

RC
Attached Images

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-28-2010, 08:16 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Good tip... I had to do this, but didn't require the tool... pry bar worked on its own.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-29-2010, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Eugene's Tools

Brian... YES, those are your jackstands, your 22mm wrench, your BFH, and your 35mm socket.

Let me know how I can get them to you, or if you're good waiting until the next time there is a get together. THANK YOU!

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-30-2010, 08:28 AM
Rock God

Is that a sea can garage you're using? Was there enough elbow room in there, I was thinking of getting one.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-30-2010, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska-HWY JK View Post
Is that a sea can garage you're using? Was there enough elbow room in there, I was thinking of getting one.
No, it is an attached garage to my apartment. But it did have enough room; not tons, but enough.

I'm not familiar with a sea can garage. Is that a modular garage of sometype?

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #6 of 8 Old 11-30-2010, 09:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

This looks like a nice addition to the write-up library. Would you mind moving it there so I can add it to the index?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzcode View Post
No, it is an attached garage to my apartment. But it did have enough room; not tons, but enough.

RC
I think he's talking about a sea freight cargo container???

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-30-2010, 12:01 PM
Rock God

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzcode View Post

RC
The walls looked similar to the walls in a sea frieght container thats why I asked. I was thinking about getting one to store sleds and UTV's but if the Jeep fit it would be a bonus. Good job on the RCV's and Prorock 44. I still like my orange knuckles though.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-01-2010, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
This looks like a nice addition to the write-up library. Would you mind moving it there so I can add it to the index?
You bet, but I've never done that (moved a post), and I'm not a moderator. But I will try!

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|

Last edited by cruzcode; 12-01-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode