River Raider Aluminum SKid install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 11-24-2010, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
River Raider Aluminum SKid install

I finally got to install my RR skids I can definitely say it was a lot easier this being my second time and with them being so much lighter that helped a lot. This install thread will supplement the product review by Gil at https://www.jkowners.com/productreviews/rror/index.php where he installed the steal skids. They install the same but mine were lighter I also started a thread under new product review from when I first got these delivered so I don’t plan to post all of those pics in this thread. They can be found at https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40064
To get started I found it is easiest to label all of the nuts and bolts with the letters that correspond to the parts sheet, this way you are not fumbling around trying to figure out what is what and you know ahead of time that you have everything you need… After that I have learned why the install states from front to rear for various reasons trust me this is the way to go.
Here is what I started with stock... And a pics of the new set up can be seen at the new products thread.
Notice how far the bracket hangs down to the left of the tape measure... See final pics to show the difference of almost 2 inches.
Attached Images

Last edited by peanut; 11-24-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-24-2010, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

You start with the oil pan skid which to me both times was the biggest PITA out of all of the skids to install and it mostly has to do with the Cooler lines that run next to the oil pan on the drivers side. When you first get under your jeep you may think like me “gezz I am going to be under the engine and take three bolts out that hold it in place?” Yes, it all works out in the end but both times I did the install I thought the same thing…
You can see the bolts first driver side with the cooler lines then passenger side..
Attached Images

post #3 of 23 Old 11-24-2010, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

I found the easiest way to install this skid with the spacers is as follows: Passenger side rear first starting out this way you don't have to worry about all the holes lining up get the bolt in with the spacer.
Next I found if you do the driver side front by taping the spacer (see pic) in and having a good pry bar... Pry the cooler lines out of the way and force the skid up over the spacer, it is hard to get it lined up but trust me this is the second bolt to worry about. Don't forget to add the cooler line bracket here you will see it in the pics and you can slide the plastic piece over to hook on. This holds the lines away from the skid just a little and took me awhile to figure out the first time I did this install.
Next get the passenger front.
You may ask geee how and the hell am I going to get the spacer in? Ahhh this one is easy as there is a small gap toward the front and you can slide it right in.
The last hole is the driver toward the back this one does not need a spacer and is the easiest to get in.
Pics:
Attached Images

Last edited by peanut; 11-24-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 11-24-2010, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

the oil pan installed! You may notice I labeled the underside corners of the oil pan with the letters to the bolts... This helped a little to remember but wasn't really needed.
Attached Images

post #5 of 23 Old 11-24-2010, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Next you will have to remove the two factory skids if you have not already and install the transmission skid. The two holes need to be drilled on the passenger side cross member for the transmission skid and the transfercase skid. I found that you need to get all the skids in place to drill it right. I also found that I had to grind out the transfercase skid hole where it connects to the gas tank. Both times I did the install I needed to do this as the hole did not line up right, it is not wide enough from the left and right of the jeep to give a little for the bolt to line up but it is elongated enough to move it a little forward or back. I did not take a bunch of pics for this part as it is real easy.
Then onto the gas tank skid. I found that it was easiest to first cut the factory skid in the two places that are needed. The reason for this is the bracket mounts to the factory bolt up top and the factory skid is in the way. You need to make room for the bracket: see pic.
If you put all the brackets on the jeep first leaving them just a little loose you can install the gas tank skid next. This is the easiest way I found to do it as if you put the brackets on the skid first you will not be able to put the skid on as the brackets get in the way as they will not slide up past the gas tank. You will have to push up on the skid to get it all lined up correctly. I used a block of wood and mallet to move the skid from the passenger side to the driverside a little to line up the bolt holes.
Attached Images

Last edited by peanut; 11-24-2010 at 02:10 PM.
post #6 of 23 Old 11-24-2010, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

After you get the gas tank skid in place this is now the time to go back and tighten all of the bolts. Fight the urge to tighten them before all the skids are on as you will hate yourself later if you do
Here are a few more pics to show what they look like when done. Again I know you have all seen these skids before so I tried to take different pics. Notice that they do not hang down as low! Gil's write up shows the difference when the skid is on the ground but I thought I would show on the jeep.
DID I MENTION IT WAS AWESOME THAT I DID NOT HAVE TO PAINT THEM!!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by peanut; 11-24-2010 at 02:11 PM.
post #7 of 23 Old 11-24-2010, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

and the final pic! I will post updates as I wheel the jeep. I have been wheeling for a while and tend to pic my lines but it will be just a matter of time before I slide off of a line and find out what they are made of.... Next install will be a 3.5 inch lift and 35's...
Attached Images

Last edited by peanut; 11-24-2010 at 12:29 PM.
post #8 of 23 Old 11-24-2010, 12:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Very nice fit
post #9 of 23 Old 11-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Granite Guru

Will they prime & custom paint these before they ship them?
post #10 of 23 Old 11-24-2010, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LER-27 View Post
Will they prime & custom paint these before they ship them?
I sent the link to this to Kenny at RR as I am not sure what the plans will be. Personally, I like the fact that they didn't need to be painted and that they wont rust when they get scratched
You can see them from the side of the jeep so depending on your thoughts on it I could see where you might want them painted.
post #11 of 23 Old 11-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Granite Guru

Thumbs up

Nice job on the install and write up

Personally, I like the unpainted look.

If anyone at RROR ends up chiming in on this thread, would you entertain a group buy on these skid setups if enough people were interested?

I am very interested to see how you like this setup, peanut and more importantly, how it holds up to some punishment on the trail. I very well might end up going this route. Peanut, do you anticipate any possible heat build-up issues with this setup?

2010 Natural Green Rubicon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Hound1; 11-24-2010 at 02:24 PM.
post #12 of 23 Old 11-25-2010, 09:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice write up!

2014 Rubicon on the build!
post #13 of 23 Old 11-26-2010, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound1 View Post

If anyone at RROR ends up chiming in on this thread, would you entertain a group buy on these skid setups if enough people were interested?

I am very interested to see how you like this setup, peanut and more importantly, how it holds up to some punishment on the trail. I very well might end up going this route. Peanut, do you anticipate any possible heat build-up issues with this setup?
I don't see that heat would be any more of an issue than it is already. I had this same set on my 2 door in steal and had no issues.
post #14 of 23 Old 11-26-2010, 07:04 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound1 View Post

I'm in on the group buy Buddy!!
post #15 of 23 Old 11-27-2010, 07:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice job...

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 23 Old 12-01-2010, 06:21 AM
JKO Addict!

anyone have an idea of how much these cost in aluminum.?

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

post #17 of 23 Old 12-04-2010, 12:23 AM
Wheeler

Looks great! I've been holding off on the skid plates because of the added weight. This is a great alternative.

I'm up on the East Coast...so any issues with Salt affecting these skids?

"Don't Take Life Too Seriously, You're Never Gonna Get Out Alive"
Natural Green 10' JK Sahara Unlimited
Auto, Power, Hard/Soft top, remote starter
MyGIG w/Navigation and Sirius
33" Interco SS M-16, 2.5" Teraflex Lift
post #18 of 23 Old 12-14-2010, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourplyn View Post
anyone have an idea of how much these cost in aluminum.?
River Raider posted the aluminum option up for sale on there website and stated in the new products posting that they are now in full production
post #19 of 23 Old 12-14-2010, 05:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sweet skids!!! Great write-up.

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #20 of 23 Old 10-17-2011, 11:41 PM
Wheeler

I got the steel RROR skid kit... install was pretty easy as well... was wondering if you have the same issue that I do with clearance between the skid and the transmission pan. I have about 1/8" it is so close I'm worried about it getting pushed into the pan and damaging it if I drop hard onto it.

Any comments on how yours are holding up since they are aluminum and more prone to bending than steel?
post #21 of 23 Old 10-18-2011, 04:28 AM
DaK
Rock God

Nice write up.

Would be interesting to see how the aluminum holds up on the rocks. Out here we crawl over a lot of decompose granite and it dings up the steel pretty good. Would be concerned that the rock would go through that aluminum like buttah.

Interested in seeing how these things hold up once you get crawlin'.
post #22 of 23 Old 10-18-2011, 07:46 AM
Wheeler

Me too how are they holding up? Have you road any black trails at Raush Creek or other places where they would take some nasty beatings?

2012 Red JK Unlimited Rubicon, 1984 Black CJ Scrambler
2010 White JK Unlimited Rubicon - Traded, 2008 Burgundy XK Overland - Traded
post #23 of 23 Old 10-27-2011, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

The skid over the gas tank worked great it gave just that little extra needed without a ton of weight. The others did ok but the tranny skid bent rear center near where it connects to the gas tank skid. This is the weak area so far as I could tell. I no longer have the jeep but if I bought them again I would by the tranny skid in steal and the rest in aluminum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode