Spiderweb Shades SW1 JK-4D UM - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 10-24-2010, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Spiderweb Shades SW1 JK-4D UM

I stopped by to chat with Chris @ Spiderweb Shades while at Jeeptoberfest and picked up a 4dr Ultra Mesh top to review for them. Now originally I wasn't going to get one of these when I first saw them at Jeep Beach, but not because its not a good product, but rather I was set on getting the full cage netting from Safari Straps. Then I sat and spoke with Chris more extensively during JeepersDen's Fall Sale/Open House a few weeks ago. At that point I decided I would give their Trail Mesh a try until I could afford the Safari Straps, unfortunately with the growing popularity of these tops, Chris was running low on the Trail Mesh for the 4 dr yesterday hence my review of the Ultra Mesh.

One of the first things you will notice is how small and self contained this top is to store when not in use. Straight from Chris it is about the size of a roll of paper towels and about the same in weight. Rarely will you need to store it though as it can be left on and in place with your soft top. Hardtop user, I'll let you know in the 1 month review, but initially looking, it appears we'll have to detach the front and fold it back over the rear section and re-attach to provide clear access to all the cranks and what nots that goes into securing the Freedom Panels.

*EDIT* I spoke with Matt again about leaving the shade in place with a hard top and I'll edit it in when I throw the Hardtop back on. The short answer is yes you can leave it in place!

The Install:
Chris and the guys threw it on in like 10 minutes while I got distracted into a discussion about my Trailhead Trailer. So it wasn't till I got back home that I kinda tinkered with it to see just how and where they tied it to the cage. First off, tied is't the proper word, its simply strapped to the cage using specially sized tarp straps (the ones with the loop & ball) that they cleverly call Spiderballs... This is one of the best features because as straps wear or loose their tension, you can simply replace them without replacing the whole shade.

The 4dr has 11 strap points; the 4 corners, 3 front footman loops, and 4 mid bar area. Start with the front corners, pull the strap up through the grommet so that the ball will be on the inside of the Jeep, loop it over the side bar just past the plastic molding, once you have it attached you can slide it over and hide the ball behind the molding. Repeat for both corners.

Next wrap the rear straps around the rear bars just past the cross bar joint and under the rear seatbelt pivot attachment.

Now using the smallest Spiderballs, attach the shade to the three footman loops on the windshield frame.

Next comes the 4 mid bar straps, these are more of "place as needed" straps as you need to place them where you can work out any excess flapping. A decent rule is to place the front mid straps as close to B pillar as possible while the rear mid straps should be around where the top back corner of the door sits.

Again, adjusts these locations as needed to take out any side slack you may have. Then.......well there is no then, you're done! Be cool and enjoy the cooler trail ride!

The review:
24 hrs: Well so far I'm liking this and even though I originally wanted the Trail Mesh, I think the Ultra Mesh will grow on me. It definitely does exactly what its supposed to do, as soon as I climbed in, the interior was cooler. Even after the Jeep sat out in direct sun for several hours while I mingled about the event and later got in to run a course, it was still cooler and things like the steering wheel and shifter where not even hot. The next thing I like about the top is with the door surrounds on, you can't even see the top from the front or sides. On the drive home I drove at about 75 and there was a noticeable reduction in wind noise compared to full topless and despite a reasonable flapping in the area directly over the Soundbar, there was no annoying noise from it.(see video below). Chris includes a pair of grommets where the Hardtop is secured with the hand bolts. So the easy solution for me is to simply stop by Home Depot or Lowes and find a set of nuts and washers the will fit the hand bolts. Again this is just me "tinkering" with the design and not something every owner needs to do. Unless something drastic happens, I now see myself keeping this top and simply running the rear cargo netting from Safari Straps to keep the dogs safe and secured. Thanks again Chris and everyone @ Spiderweb Shades!
YouTube - Spiderweb Shades UM
Spiderweb Shades - UltraMesh
$79.99
Nam# SW1JK-4D UM
http://www.spiderwebshade.com/products/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Loki646; 10-26-2010 at 05:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-24-2010, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Hardtop Installation

I finally got around to throwing my hardtop back on. Prepping the SpiderwebShade was pretty simple.

1. Unhook the Spiderballs from the three front footman loops.
2. Detach the velcro backing on the two grommets above the soundbar.

Next simply put the hardtop back on as usual. Once the main section was back on and tightened down, it was time for the Freedom Panels next.

Simply install them as usual. Latching the front latches is still straight forward, the rear latches and the center latch can actually be manipulated through the fabric.

Now with everything securely latched, make sure you can see the two soundbar grommets when looking up through the two holes in the soundbar, if need be simply give the fabric a tub either toward the front or the rear depending on need. Now carefully insert the threaded knob bolts up through the soundbar making sure the bolt threads the grommets and not pierce the fabric.

Once everything is secured, you can loop the earlier detached Spiderballs around their corresponding latches. This isn't a necessity, but it helps keep the front of the Spiderwebshade taunt and will negate the need to store and possibly lose the detached Spiderballs.

The end result is a nice finished interior comparable to a regular headliner.

/

Last edited by Loki646; 11-06-2010 at 08:46 AM.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-24-2010, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

*reserved for 1 Month Review*

/

Last edited by Loki646; 10-26-2010 at 05:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-24-2010, 12:45 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Not to hijack the thread, we had bought ours last year and started using it this past season. It work wonderfully in our 2 door, provided shade, keep the wind noise down to the point you can carry on a conversation without yelling at highway speeds and kept twigs, leaves unwanted bugs falling in on you on the trail. We have it packed up for the cooler months in Minnesota. It will be out and in use next season.

Great write up Loki646
Attached Images

07 X 2 door
Red Rock Crystal

www.militaryjeepers.com
post #5 of 13 Old 10-24-2010, 12:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

nice write up!!!

thats a huge pic

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #6 of 13 Old 10-25-2010, 04:42 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to DataByte Send a message via Yahoo to DataByte

can't wait to see the pics and video!

Matthew D

2008 Silver Sahara

*Mention JKOWNERS.com for a 10% discount at checkout*
post #7 of 13 Old 11-06-2010, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Update in post #2 with the hardtop installed!

/

post #8 of 13 Old 11-07-2010, 03:12 PM
Rock God

I'm just wanting coverage for the front seats. Would a 2door shade still fit on a fourdoor and just stop at the sound bar?

Kyle
Sent via IPhone
post #9 of 13 Old 11-07-2010, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackr6 View Post
I'm just wanting coverage for the front seats. Would a 2door shade still fit on a fourdoor and just stop at the sound bar?

Kyle
Sent via IPhone
You would want to order their JKini. It fits both 2dr & 4dr.

/

post #10 of 13 Old 11-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Wheeler

That's a really nice top, and a good write-up. I like the fact that it works with the hard top. That's something my Dirtydog top is missing.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-26-2011, 10:03 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Back from the dead!

I just ordered a trailmesh for the unlimited. I wonder how much this will help to act as a headliner in keeping some of the heat from the hardtop from radiating into the cabin should i have to have the hard top oon during the summer months. Hurricane season IS just around the corner.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #12 of 13 Old 01-26-2011, 01:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee1669 View Post
Back from the dead!

I just ordered a trailmesh for the unlimited. I wonder how much this will help to act as a headliner in keeping some of the heat from the hardtop from radiating into the cabin should i have to have the hard top oon during the summer months. Hurricane season IS just around the corner.
I was wondering that when I saw the shade with the hardtop on....anybody from a colder area that can comment on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader613 View Post
yeah...I decided to go and finish on the tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
actually , I can see my cock , is just a little hard to shave down there
post #13 of 13 Old 02-11-2016, 11:48 AM
Wheeler

Thanks for the high quality write up. I know this an old thread, but I'm new to the game and was looking for this type of experience to help guide my decision making about Spiderwebshades.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode