painting/bedlining door/hood hinges - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 10-17-2010, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom
painting/bedlining door/hood hinges

I've had a few people ask me about this, so I figured I'd go ahead and post the info.

I use duplicolor spray on bedliner on everything.
Doing the hinges is an easy afternoon job.
Use a good torx socket and break the hinge to door bolts loose with the doors still on the jeep, that way you can lean into the socket. Those bolts are pretty darn tight.
Once they break loose, then take the door off and lie it down somewhere to finish removing them.
Also, you may want to take a razor blade and go around where the hinge meets the door just to make sure that when they pop off, they don't take any paint with them.
I've used a blade on some and not on others and never had any problems either way, but it's easy insurance.
Once you have the hinges off the doors, mark where they came from on the back of the hinge with a sharpie - the top and bottom hinges are slightly different.
The jeep sides of the hinges are easy, just take the bolts out and they come right off.
The good hinges are a little bit of a pain, you have the 4 torx bolts to the hood, then the 4 bolts from the windshield side of the hinges. It looks like they bolt through from under the hood, but the bolts actually come from the windshield side, if you have big hands, you may need to take the 4 torx bolts and loosen the cowl to get to them.
Once you have everything off, use a scotchbrite pad in a cordless drill to scuff everything up, be careful on the jeep side parts as there is a little plastic bushing that sticks up for the door to ride on - dont scotchbrite the plastic 'washer' on top too bad.
You don't need to go nuts, just scuff it all up and take the shine off everything.
wipe everything down really good with some thinner to get all the dust off from the scotchbrite then mask off the hinge pins and you're ready to spray.
Don't forget to scuff n paint the bolt heads - poking the bolts through a piece of cardboard makes it easy to work with them.
I did a few medium coats, about 5 or 10 minutes apart.
In a dry climate, let everything dry 1-2 hours and it should be fine.
You WILL scrape up the bolts on the jeep side of the hinges with the wrench when you reinstall them, but its easy to touch them up,
Just use the old paint lines on the body and on the doors to get everything back exactly where it came off and you won't have any door alignment problems.
On the hood, just make sure the hood is setting where it goes and is nice and straight, then tighten the hood torx bolts first, then the jeep side bolts.

probably sounds complicated, but thats about as detailed of instructions as I can give.
It's an easy afternoon job.
The great thing about the bedliner is you really cant screw it up because if the texture, its really to touch it up if you need to.
Also a quick note on texture, you can kind of control how rough the bedliner texture is, if you hold the can farther away while spraying and go a little lighter with the final coats, you'll get a rougher texture, closer and lay it on a little thicker and you'll get more of an orange peel look.

Now that you know how to do the hinges, you'll be ready when you decide to do the grill or wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-17-2010, 07:08 PM
Rock God

Garage

granted mine is black but i just tapped mine off scuffed and sprayed

2008 BLACK Unlimited Sahara
Poly Performance 3"on 35" Xterrains and 15" Soft 8s, Front Pro Rock 44, FLW Front Prerunner, FLW Rear Bumper, FLW Rock Sliders, River Raider Gen2 Snorkel, Superior 5.13s,
and

post #3 of 14 Old 10-17-2010, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

yeah but its so easy to unbolt them, why not do it right?

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-17-2010, 07:33 PM
Rock God

Garage

mine are perfect did them 1.5 years ago

Poly Performance 3"on 35" Xterrains and 15" Soft 8s, Front Pro Rock 44, FLW Front Prerunner, FLW Rear Bumper, FLW Rock Sliders, River Raider Gen2 Snorkel, Superior 5.13s,
and

post #5 of 14 Old 10-17-2010, 07:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Yeah well my dad can beat up your dad.

Good writeup Venom

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #6 of 14 Old 10-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Rock God

Garage

im not startin shit here im just saying that YES you can take them off OR you can leave them on. Both are viable options

and

post #7 of 14 Old 10-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by joePILE View Post
granted mine is black but i just tapped mine off scuffed and sprayed
Quote:
mine are perfect did them 1.5 years ago
Quote:
im not startin shit here im just saying that YES you can take them off OR you can leave them on. Both are viable options
The issue with leaving them on is that you don't fix the real problem, which is the crappy paint job that Chrysler did. Usually between the hinge and door skin there is corrosion caused by dissimilar metals and insufficient paint/primer between them.

But you probably don't care about that as long as it looks good. I'm sure your chrome accents look good too.

My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to 99˘ a can. That's almost $7.00 in dog money.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-18-2010, 09:22 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejeep View Post
The issue with leaving them on is that you don't fix the real problem, which is the crappy paint job that Chrysler did. Usually between the hinge and door skin there is corrosion caused by dissimilar metals and insufficient paint/primer between them.

But you probably don't care about that as long as it looks good. I'm sure your chrome accents look good too.
i have no chrome on my jeep, its scratched to shit and ive broken an axel wheeling it. the only thing i care is that everything is black no fucking chrome

hey rag all you want man, but at least read my fucking signature and none of that spell chrome

sorry venom, never meant for this thread to go that way

and

post #9 of 14 Old 10-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Rock God

Ok every one just be nice, what ever, I have bed lined my grill ( x3 of them ) my , bumper , and my wheels, thanks for the idea venom, time and prep is all key to making it look nice, if you can get it done still on the jeep great, Its all what the owner wants, If you need to see pic of any of the shit I did check my profile thanks.

2010 2 door sport, 6 speed,Dark Charcoal Pearl

Last edited by 2010jk; 10-31-2010 at 08:17 PM.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
Yeah well my dad can beat up your dad.

Good writeup Venom
And my bad can't beat up your dad( world biggest peace of shit ) But I can, ( JUST PLAYING with you SONIC )

post #11 of 14 Old 10-18-2010, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

My reasoning for saying taking them off is doing it "right" is that it's so easy to do, you fix the corrosion problem, there's no chance for hitting the rest of the jeep with the scotchbrite or any overspray.
Hell, it probably takes longer to mask them than it does to remove them.
Plus if it's not a black jeep to begin with, getting the corners masked and paint in the little areas between the hinge pin areas and the body is gonna be rough.
Not to mention trying to get to the hood on a lifted rig to do a decent masking job is gonna suck.
I never meant for this to go south either Joe but I still say it's easier and much better to take them off to do it.
Kinda like you might be able to install a lift with just a crescent wrench, but why would you?

Quote:
post #12 of 14 Old 10-31-2010, 06:18 PM
Granite Guru

I just did the door side of mine

And both sides of the hood hinges

2008 Rubicon 2 Dr 6 speed
Stone White
post #13 of 14 Old 10-31-2010, 08:16 PM
Rock God

those look good I need to do mine may be after this winter, as mine are still ok, You did a nice job.

post #14 of 14 Old 12-01-2010, 06:29 AM
JKO Addict!

good job Venom...

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode