DIY: $20 Tire Carrier Inside Your Cargo Area - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 10-13-2010, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
DIY: $20 Tire Carrier Inside Your Cargo Area

I decided to fab up a tire carrier that uses the stock hard top bolts. I had a more complex design planned but decided to try to keep it simple. It did require some cutting and welding. I spent about $10 in steel materials and $10 in (3) grade 8 1/2"-20 bolts, cutting wheels, paint, misc. So for about $20 it's worked so far....i haven't painted it yet since I'm testing it for a while to see if any of my poor welds fail I wish I had better skills and tools at cutting and lining things up but it's a work in progress and maybe i'll build a better one after this one....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 10-13-2010, 02:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Don't see why that shouldn't get that job done. Does it smell like rubber all the time? lol

A little gusset to keep the tire from actually bouncing against that would be nice. But not sure how you could get that done w/o any holes. May not want to move all that much however.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #3 of 25 Old 10-13-2010, 02:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Hey, I kinda like that. Good idea, gunn have to look into that. Only 3 of us at home now, might work out good. Thanks for posting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 10-13-2010, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

I hate the way my mind thinks sometimes.......here's some more possibilities:

|
|
post #5 of 25 Old 10-13-2010, 02:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaJeep View Post
I hate the way my mind thinks sometimes.......here's some more possibilities:
you have a wonderful mind!!!

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #6 of 25 Old 10-14-2010, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

here are some more pics after I painted it and added a plastic "ammo" box:

added a strap i had laying around, probably overkill but why not? plus i may need the strap for other purposes so it's "stored":

^attached to factory cargo tie down

^attached to folding seat mechanism

|
|
post #7 of 25 Old 10-14-2010, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

That strap is not overkill in the least. In the event of a roll-over (although the idea and execution of the bracket is very nice)..... there would be no way I would trust only two factory bolts & fasteners to keep that thing from breaking loose and becoming a serious hazard.

Along with the strap, that bracket is a great idea.
post #8 of 25 Old 10-14-2010, 03:45 PM
JKO Addict!

I think it looks great as well! Good call on the strap.

Is that a 35" tall tire?
post #9 of 25 Old 10-15-2010, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillidge View Post
I think it looks great as well! Good call on the strap.

Is that a 35" tall tire?
thanks, yes its a 35"

|
|
post #10 of 25 Old 10-15-2010, 04:42 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
That strap is not overkill in the least. In the event of a roll-over (although the idea and execution of the bracket is very nice)..... there would be no way I would trust only two factory bolts & fasteners to keep that thing from breaking loose and becoming a serious hazard.
Same for a road crash...
Getting hit in the back with a 100lbs tire is probably not very healthy...
post #11 of 25 Old 10-15-2010, 04:56 AM
Rock God

Garage

That looks great man! Good call on the strap though, it definitely will not hurt anything. I may look at doing something like this for my JK.

JKOutcast
post #12 of 25 Old 10-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Rock God

Nice mod, reminds me of my old Cherokee. Good work!

/jl

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
post #13 of 25 Old 10-20-2010, 07:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

looks more like an olive drab dry box than an ammo box. i like it!!!!

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #14 of 25 Old 10-22-2010, 01:09 PM

would it not be better if it was mounted on the opposite side? that is if you dont have the subwoofer. for better weight distribution for when only driver is in the jeep?

not a bad idea and i like that it could be attached as well for a hardtop but i dont like loosing the seat. i mean if you dont need it then no problem.
post #15 of 25 Old 10-22-2010, 01:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

Sweet idea!

I'm trying to come up with an idea to mount my spare inside without having to fold my seats down...

post #16 of 25 Old 11-20-2010, 07:47 AM
Granite Guru

A BFG KM2 will lay flat on the floor and can be strapped down. Leaves room n the side for first aid bag, small air compressor, tool bag and recovery bag. Chairs lay across the top. I made my own net to cover everything once it is packed.

I looked at mounting the tire in the same manner as done by the OP but did not want to run with the rear seat partially folded down. I keep the Hi-Lift, shovel, and ax under the rear seats and that does not work with the seat folded down.

Excellent mod if you don't mind the seat down. Another bar dropped down to the seat mount would stabilize the mounting bracket and eliminate the need for the strap. If you do use a strap, get a big heavy duty ratchet strap that you can use to remount a tire on your rim. Two birds, one stone.....

"Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill", Bob Arnett
post #17 of 25 Old 11-20-2010, 08:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKDoc View Post
A BFG KM2 will lay flat on the floor and can be strapped down. Leaves room n the side for first aid bag, small air compressor, tool bag and recovery bag. Chairs lay across the top. I made my own net to cover everything once it is packed.

I looked at mounting the tire in the same manner as done by the OP but did not want to run with the rear seat partially folded down. I keep the Hi-Lift, shovel, and ax under the rear seats and that does not work with the seat folded down.

Excellent mod if you don't mind the seat down. Another bar dropped down to the seat mount would stabilize the mounting bracket and eliminate the need for the strap. If you do use a strap, get a big heavy duty ratchet strap that you can use to remount a tire on your rim. Two birds, one stone.....
I happen to have BFG KM2 35x15s and am still wondering if it will fit in the cargo area without folding the seat... What size tire Are you running with this setup? I can tell my tailgate is getting a little pissed off at me for hanging that meat on it!

I admit, I've been a little busy and too lazy to go out and take measurements!

post #18 of 25 Old 11-20-2010, 08:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

Now, I see that this is a 4-door- do you think this could be done in my 2-door, with no rear seat? I think that'd be pretty bad-ass. I don't have a hardtop, but I still have the holes- Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #19 of 25 Old 11-20-2010, 11:10 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramaniac View Post
I happen to have BFG KM2 35x15s and am still wondering if it will fit in the cargo area without folding the seat... What size tire Are you running with this setup? I can tell my tailgate is getting a little pissed off at me for hanging that meat on it!

Not a chance of standing it up, but it will fit laying down flat... Unless your KM2's are a lot smaller than my 35" GY MTR/K.

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." -Ronald Reagan-
post #20 of 25 Old 11-20-2010, 12:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangling Steel View Post
Not a chance of standing it up, but it will fit laying down flat... Unless your KM2's are a lot smaller than my 35" GY MTR/K.
They measure 34 1/2 new. I'll have to look into that. Wanna move it before the trip to Rausch Creek Friday. I have a feeling my tail gate won't make it thru the day...

post #21 of 25 Old 11-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:

I run 35 x 12.5 17 KM 2. Fits snugly behind the upright rear seat and tailgate.

"Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill", Bob Arnett
post #22 of 25 Old 11-20-2010, 08:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKDoc View Post
I run 35 x 12.5 17 KM 2. Fits snugly behind the upright rear seat and tailgate.
I took a few measurements tonight and it's looking like a snug fit.

I guess I know what I'll be doing on Monday....

Now to figure out how to mount a 3rd brake light and get around to ordering a tramp stamp!

post #23 of 25 Old 01-13-2012, 02:21 PM

Appreciate it! Helpful info.
post #24 of 25 Old 01-20-2012, 07:45 AM
Rock God

Garage

Great MOD. Well done man!

-Scott S.-

'07 2Dr Silver Rubicon
post #25 of 25 Old 01-20-2012, 10:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I took a few measurements tonight and it's looking like a snug fit.

I guess I know what I'll be doing on Monday....

Now to figure out how to mount a 3rd brake light and get around to ordering a tramp stamp!
Nick, do you not have your stock 3rd brake light anymore? I think I still have mine somewhere. If you want it and can wait about a month, then you're welcome to it. I'm in AL now, though, and won't be home until the 18th or so of Feb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode