Stereo information 2015+ - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jk_southwest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 07-14-2018, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Stereo information 2015+

I'm writing this so if anyone is going to upgrade their speakers with the non-Alpine setup.

I know most people will opt for the kicker replacements. If so, this post will not help. If are like me and opt for something better, , hopefully it will help them and save them some time.

I went with Polk DB651 speakers in both the dash and sound bar. I picked the DB651 because I really liked my polk components that I had in my 2014 and installed the tweeters in the dash pods. The other reason I picked them is although the tweeter sits slightly higher than the rest of the speaker, it can be adjusted. Meaning, that even though the speaker sits at your knee location, with the tweeter pointed up, the stereo imaging is acceptable. Unlike the pre 2015, the 2015/newer do not have the tombstones so I wasn't sure about the tweeter in the 2.75" area on the top of the dash would be heard correctly/be worth it. When I looked at various car stereo sites, they state that the DB651 does not fit but they do.

The dash pods, I just set the speaker on it, marked for the four holes, used a small bit to drill the pod and then used the supplied screws to fasten the speaker down. For the wires, green is (+) and red is (-). I didn't have the fancy adapter that clips into the factory clip (that attached to the factory speaker), but I cut off the clip and crimped on the fasteners for the positive and negative fittings (NOTE: I had a heck of a time tracking down the correct size for the negative side. I found them at autozone. Even some of the electronic stores didn't carry them and only supply them if they install your speakers).

Upper dash: I just dis-connected and tossed the 2.75" speaker. It was an 8ohm speaker (marked on the magnet) and was never heard. I don't miss it with my current setup.

Sound bar has a 6.5" and the same speaker as the upper dash. I dis-connected the little 2.75" speaker and put it back in. I did use the supplied bracket to install the polks. The issue with that was, because the tweeter sticks out a bit beyond the rest of the speaker, it interferes with the stock cover. You can still get the stock cover on but it bows a bit. I took the cover off and haven't decided if I will drill the holes like I did with the dash pod and re-install the stock cover or just install the supplied cover from Polk. EDIT: I took the supplied bracket out, drilled 4 holes for the speaker itself and all fits without issues. The cover went back on without any issues. Before I forget, the wires. I again, didn't have the adapter and I couldn't find anything online which wire was positive/negative. Both wires were the same size. So I grabbed my multi-meter and checked it out. The White wire is (+) and the black wire is (-).

Poly fil: I bought "The original poly-fil premium polyester" in a big bag. Don't make the same mistake, just get the small bag. Luckily for me, my Wife will use it in her sewing projects. Anyways, I used just enough poly-fill in the sound bar and dash pods that kept the speaker from just sitting flush without being fastened down. I made sure to add some around the circumference of the pod (basically right behind where the speaker fastens to the pod) and not just "behind the magnet of the speaker". My 2017 sound bar took a lot less poly-fill than my 2014 did. I did no other sound proofing to any of the pods.

How's it sound? I still have the stock deck, which was much better than the deck in my 2014 in not only sound, but volume. Just replacing the 6.5" speakers and taking the little speakers out of the system, it actually sounds really good. I'm quite surprised. My Wife was shocked how good it sounded and thought I added my Kenwood deck that I had in my '14. I haven't yet and will down the road. The highs are really clear and the front stage changed slightly lower but not enough for me to care. It seems that the fade is evened out nicely. The mids/vocals are improved and the bass is back! I'm shocked how well these speakers do. I run the bass at -2/-3 depending on the amount of bass from the song. So far no rattles and I'm trying to decide if I even put my 10"JL sub in. I am planning on installing my kenwood deck and my 40x4 rms alpine amp to drive these speakers even more. After that, I will decide if I am going to run my sub.

Ladies and Gents, I know there was a lot of information there(some of it me rambling.. ), but I hope that this post can help someone in the future.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S

Last edited by ndtguy; 10-19-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-19-2018, 07:34 AM
Rock God

I'm wanting to upgrade my music as well. I currently have a Alpine PDX5 amp and a JLw8v3 in a ported box that my brother gave me. The PDX5 is a 5 channel amp. 4 speakers and a sub. I currently have it running the sub only, as I only put 1 line level converter on the back (thanks to Marcus for a write up on that).

To run the speakers, I would need more pre-amp outputs. Which is either installing more line level converters OR a new deck with at least 3 pre-amp outputs. I think a new deck would be the better way to go. I'm really leaning towards a digital one only without a CD deck. First off who has cd's anymore and secondly they are a hell of a lot smaller. With the new deck, I would definitely amp the speakers.

The big thing I need to figure out is amp placement. I currently have it sitting right underneath the passenger seat. I do not like the placement, but it was the install I did at the time. I have seen people fasten it to the seat (hanging upside down) and heard of putting it behind the glove box. I like the glove box placement the best, up and out of sight and hopefully keep water off it.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #3 of 5 Old 07-31-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndtguy View Post
I'm writing this so if anyone is going to upgrade their speakers with the non-Alpine setup.

I know most people will opt for the kicker replacements. If so, this post will not help. If are like me and opt for something better, , hopefully it will help them and save them some time.

I went with Polk DB651 speakers in both the dash and sound bar. I picked the DB651 because I really liked my polk components that I had in my 2014 and installed the tweeters in the dash pods. The other reason I picked them is although the tweeter sits slightly higher than the rest of the speaker, it can be adjusted. Meaning, that even though the speaker sits at your knee location, with the tweeter pointed up, the stereo imaging is acceptable. Unlike the pre 2015, the 2015/newer do not have the tombstones so I wasn't sure about the tweeter in the 2.75" area on the top of the dash would be heard correctly/be worth it. When I looked at various car stereo sites, they state that the DB651 does not fit but they do.

The dash pods, I just set the speaker on it, marked for the four holes, used a small bit to drill the pod and then used the supplied screws to fasten the speaker down. For the wires, green is (+) and red is (-). I didn't have the fancy adapter that clips into the factory clip (that attached to the factory speaker), but I cut off the clip and crimped on the fasteners for the positive and negative fittings (NOTE: I had a heck of a time tracking down the correct size for the negative side. I found them at autozone. Even some of the electronic stores didn't carry them and only supply them if they install your speakers).

Upper dash: I just dis-connected and tossed the 2.75" speaker. It was an 8ohm speaker (marked on the magnet) and was never heard. I don't miss it with my current setup.

Sound bar has a 6.5" and the same speaker as the upper dash. I dis-connected the little 2.75" speaker and put it back in. I did use the supplied bracket to install the polks. The issue with that was, because the tweeter sticks out a bit beyond the rest of the speaker, it interferes with the stock cover. You can still get the stock cover on but it bows a bit. I took the cover off and haven't decided if I will drill the holes like I did with the dash pod and re-install the stock cover or just install the supplied cover from Polk. Before I forget, the wires. I again, didn't have the adapter and I couldn't find anything online which wire was positive/negative. Both wires were the same size. So I grabbed my multi-meter and checked it out. The White wire is (+) and the black wire is (-).

Poly fil: I bought "The original poly-fil premium polyester" in a big bag. Don't make the same mistake, just get the small bag. Luckily for me, my Wife will use it in her sowing projects. Anyways, I used just enough poly-fill in the sound bar and dash pods that kept the speaker from just sitting flush without being fastened down. I made sure to add some around the circumference of the pod (basically right behind where the speaker fastens to the pod) and not just "behind the magnet of the speaker". My 2017 sound bar took a lot less poly-fill than my 2014 did. I did no other sound proofing to ..
+1 on the Polk Audio replacements, I've got the smaller tweeter 2013 setup so the DB6501 component set worked perfectly up front while using the coaxial DB651 set in the rear. They sound great and will take plenty of power as I backed my system with 1800 Watts of Audio Control amplification.

Visit http://wranglerrestyle.com for Jeep Wrangler aftermarket head unit comparisons, reviews, tips & tricks!

Visit WranglerRestyle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
a comparison site for aftermarket stereo options for the Wrangler JK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-03-2018, 11:42 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Thanks for the tips. Finding a replacement stereo is high on my project list.
ndtguy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-04-2018, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Would someone who is reading this, do me a favor. I have a theory, and I want to see if it works for you like it did for me.

My theory is, since the 2.75" speakers are considered "full range", that the stock deck is programmed to reduce the bass curve to protect the speakers when you increase the volume.

Since unhooking the 2.75" speakers, the bass on my deck is not reduced without manually adjusting the bass. So I is my belief that taking the 2.75" speakers out of the system, takes away the reduced bass curve at higher volumes.

So if you're upgrading your system, unhook the 2.75" speakers (with the stock deck) and see what happens (especially if you followed what I did above while replacing the 6.5"). If you do components, just run it off the 6.5" wiring and let us all know what happens.

Thank You in advance!

Updated on my setup: So now, with the radio stations here in Vegas and my phone, I have been running the bass at -4 (negative) most of the time and adjusting as needed depending on the song. Sometimes, with real bass heavy songs, I have down to (negative) -6. Lighter bass songs up to -2. I have yet to get to 0 and honestly see no need to do so. I still have plenty of mid range, vocals and highs. I am still happy with it. I honestly do plan to eventually add my Alpine 40x4rms amp and my Kenwood deck, but it will probably happen over the Thanksgiving holiday. I'll update this thread when I do so.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode