DIY 4 Tire Inflator/Deflator - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 05-10-2018, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

DIY 4 Tire Inflator/Deflator

Hey gangÖ

Back in October of 2014, I ordered a couple of air chucks to experiment with so that I could make up a 4 wheel tire inflator/deflator. The air chucks had been sitting in the top drawer of my toolbox until now. I got busy on the project once again and finally up the 4 tire deflator/inflator.

These are the stay-on air chucks that I ordered. The one on the left with the lever is quite nice but it is just not as secure as the one on the right. The one with the lever has just a single clip and the one with the pull back collar has two clips and fits more securely. The one on the right also pushes onto the valve stem easily and you donít need to pull the collar back to do this.

So fast forward from 2014 to earlier this week (May 2018) when I ordered the rest of the parts. I had been planning all along to use quality components. While you can order one long hose and cut it to fit using fittings and hose clamps for less money, I wanted a more ďfinishedĒ quality to finished product so I ordered pre-made Goodyear hoses with a 10 year warranty. I also used a digital tire pressure gauge with backlight and rugged outer case. Rather than using the blocky brass fittings, I found smaller, more rounded fittings.

The Goodyear hoses are available in yellow, red or black. I picked yellow so that they are as visible as possible on the trail.

Everything coils up nicely and is just a little bit larger than a single 50 ft. air hose that you would be carrying anyway.

The lengths work perfectly and all hoses are equal length.

For my driveway beta test, I took the tire pressure down to 7 or so PSI just like I do on the trail. Air down was damn quick but I did not time this first try. Seems like it took about the same amount of time as it usually takes to deflate 1 to 1-1/2 tires. The pressure gauge will go to zero while you are deflating even though you are not at zero yet. Once you hit zero, close the valve off every so often to check where you are. I took it down to 7.5psi today at all for corners.

Air up took about 18 minutes using the ARB twin pump under the passenger seat. This was for airing up 4 37Ē tires from 7psi to 32psi Ė just like I do at the end of the trail. FWIW, this test was done at my house which is barely above sea level. With the TPMS system on my Rubicon, I was able to watch all four tires inflate real-time. Pretty cool.

The pressure gauge reads about 1psi higher than the actual tire pressure while you are pumping up. Shut the valve to see the correct pressure.

Parts list:

Qty 6, 6 ft. air hose:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038MD180

Qty 2, 3 ft. air hose:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038M4ZYY

Qty 4, lock-on air chucks:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008PZ7LMW

Qty 3, brass T fittings (for hoses):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074887122

Qty 1, brass T fitting (for gauge):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006PKKZ4U

Qty 1, brass ball valve:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00835X4NE

Qty 1, digital pressure gauge:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0783PYQ27

Qty 1, air hose adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/Tru-Flate-12-.../dp/B000CFPYF4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 05-10-2018, 05:24 PM
Granite Guru

That is awesome...
Thanks for sharing your ingenuity!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 31 Old 05-10-2018, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhawg View Post
That is awesome...
Thanks for sharing your ingenuity!
Thanks, man. I'm as happy to share the idea as I am to have implement it. Can't wait to try it at trailhead.

Please respond back to the thread if you fabbed one up yourself regardless of how you did it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 05-10-2018, 08:50 PM
Granite Guru

I absolutely will when I do my own. Great design... I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work with a C02 setup either. Any thoughts on that?
Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 31 Old 05-11-2018, 07:11 AM
Wheeler

I have done a similar thing
it was nice to be able to use my power-tank regulator to set pressure and hook up to a set PSI but that was a bit slow so I end up only using it when I had extra time. It can also be set up to use a single tire deflator to do all 4 at once but again slower than one on each stem. However, it does make them all 4 exactly the same. If I set the tank up at a high PSI and fill them like you did with the compressor it goes quickly however again I found it faster to just air up all 4 individually and less to take with me. I have since started using the chuck parts for other projects. I may end up getting more and reusing one day but idk

08 JKU
78 Fj-40
67 M715
47 CJ-2A
post #6 of 31 Old 05-18-2018, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Just a little follow up here....

The inflator/deflator coils up nicely and fits perfectly into this bag meant for jumper cables:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0146WQP3I

I have this one as well that I use for my 20' set of 4 gauge jumper cables but I think it is a tad too small for the hoses.
https://www.amazon.com/Bucket-Boss-6.../dp/B00GK4U24Y
post #7 of 31 Old 05-18-2018, 10:10 AM
Rock God

Paul, very cool idea and great write-up! It woudl be cool to add a "set" mode regulator that would kick off the compressor once the pressure has been reached\equalized.

I had on my YJ with a York compressor a while back something similar to this:

Manual if your compressor alreay has an auto-shuttoff:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000YC5I...3&ref=aa_pcomp

Or preset\adjustable

Barksdale Series CSP Compact Pressure Switch, Single Setpoint, 5 to 30 PSI, CSP12-32-13B - FLW, Inc.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...BoCKR8QAvD_BwE

basically add on in line with the electric lines setup to power the compressor\ARB. Once it reached the desired pressure the compressor switches off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 31 Old 05-18-2018, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geberhard View Post
Paul, very cool idea and great write-up! It woudl be cool to add a "set" mode regulator that would kick off the compressor once the pressure has been reached\equalized.

I had on my YJ with a York compressor a while back something similar to this:

Manual if your compressor alreay has an auto-shuttoff:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000YC5I...3&ref=aa_pcomp

Or preset\adjustable

Barksdale Series CSP Compact Pressure Switch, Single Setpoint, 5 to 30 PSI, CSP12-32-13B - FLW, Inc.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...BoCKR8QAvD_BwE

basically add on in line with the electric lines setup to power the compressor\ARB. Once it reached the desired pressure the compressor switches off.
Thanks, man.

I had been noodling over including a pressure switch for some time. Had another thread on it somewhere here.

I was actually thinking to go with a simple design sans regulator that was based on just an adjustable pressure switch. Something like this ("NC" or Normally Closed) stainless switch:

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Pne.../dp/B00NXIXR60

So far, though, I am thinking that it may not be worth the extra hassle.

On air up with the pump running and the valve open, the gauge is reading real time and only reads about 1psi to 1.5psi above what it will read when the valve is shut.

I like to run my tires at 32psi cold all around. It has been my experience so far that just keeping an eye on the gauge and shutting the valve as soon as you see 33.5psi just works and the end result is the target 32psi.

Actually, I add a psi or two to my target psi at air up when leaving the trail because I am normally up at altitude when I do that and drive home to ~300' or so above sea level. Rubicon and Slick Rock are around 7,000' or so.

You are welcome to try this out yourself sans regulator next time we are out on the trail - after I air mine up, of course.
post #9 of 31 Old 05-18-2018, 11:30 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
. . .

I like to run my tires at 32psi cold all around. It has been my experience so far that just keeping an eye on the gauge and shutting the valve as soon as you see 33.5psi just works and the end result is the target 32psi.

Actually, I add a psi or two to my target psi at air up when leaving the trail because I am normally up at altitude when I do that and drive home to ~300' or so above sea level.
I air up to 30.5 psi to get 28 psi cold (due to filling a tire with hot air which cools and contracts) if not changing elevation.

7000' elevation drops ~3.4 PSI from sea level (atmospheric pressure = 14.7 psi @ sea level, 11.3 psi @ 7000').

If I'm airing up then "getting good gas mileage" (driving downhill ) for a few hours, I'll put in 35 psi and fuggedaboudit.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #10 of 31 Old 05-26-2018, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Just a couple of pics here of the storage bag. It's a perfect fit but you have to figure out how to roll it up perfectly.

It holds air quite well too and it works on one tire too when you connect just one hose.

It's time to QA test this on the trail!

post #11 of 31 Old 05-26-2018, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

while nowhere near as fancy as yours , I was inspired enough by this thread to go get some extra air hose from my garage & other air parts I had to make a 2 tire refill / balance air psi between the two . It is avhalf assed effort but can air up two tires at once or borrow 12psi from a full tire to the empty spare...it seemed like I was gonna wind up with a lot more hosecthan you have if I, too, built for all four.

post #12 of 31 Old 05-26-2018, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
while nowhere near as fancy as yours , I was inspired enough by this thread to go get some extra air hose from my garage & other air parts I had to make a 2 tire refill / balance air psi between the two . It is avhalf assed effort but can air up two tires at once or borrow 12psi from a full tire to the empty spare...it seemed like I was gonna wind up with a lot more hosecthan you have if I, too, built for all four.

Cool man. Two works as well.

But I've moved on. I'm wiring in a hood sensor to the factory alarm today. Thinking to add a proximity sensor too for when the doors are off.

I'm also trying to figure out the horn button wiring so that I can bypass the TIPM and have a fast acting horn. Picked up a Stebel Nautalis.
post #13 of 31 Old 05-27-2018, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
[/color]

Cool man. Two works as well.

But I've moved on. I'm wiring in a hood sensor to the factory alarm today. Thinking to add a proximity sensor too for when the doors are off.

I'm also trying to figure out the horn button wiring so that I can bypass the TIPM and have a fast acting horn. Picked up a Stebel Nautalis.

we must be on similar Jeep mindwaves; our upgrades seem to parallel one anotherís several times lately ,anyway...(Iíve gone thru it w Ken ( kjeeper) before, too).

I have browser history from past week that has tons of alt horn for the JK options data and info. Those Nautilus are one of the best, loudest possible. I have been lookin at the super low frequency horns.i like 330hz PIAA as just a sonic improvement . I donít wanna add a second ,but it sounds better combined w. 440 or 550 Hz ..

Iím used to the delay we all loath w the horn by now but yours would address that w itís own harness ,for sure.

post #14 of 31 Old 05-27-2018, 08:56 AM
pvanfab.com

Nice writeup. I have a similar setup for air up/down. The nice thing about airing up all 4 at once, is that all 4 tires will be exactly the psi. I have a York compressor and ran a hard line next to the frame from front to back and then quick disconnects at each corner. This way I am not laying a hose on the ground in the Iowa mud 4- 4ft hoses with the same clip on/stay on tire valves. I air all 4 tires in 3 minutes total.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

post #15 of 31 Old 05-27-2018, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
we must be on similar Jeep mindwaves; our upgrades seem to parallel one anotherís several times lately ,anyway...(Iíve gone thru it w Ken ( kjeeper) before, too).

I have browser history from past week that has tons of alt horn for the JK options data and info. Those Nautilus are one of the best, loudest possible. I have been lookin at the super low frequency horns.i like 330hz PIAA as just a sonic improvement . I donít wanna add a second ,but it sounds better combined w. 440 or 550 Hz ..

Iím used to the delay we all loath w the horn by now but yours would address that w itís own harness ,for sure.

Yeah, I like the nautilus. The stock dual horn on my 2013 wasn't completely terrible. The reason I am relocating it is because the horn over by the master cylinder is getting displaced by a clutch master cylinder reservoir and the larger brake booster and m/c.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.
post #16 of 31 Old 12-31-2018, 07:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Do you have a part number for those lock on air chucks? Do they work well?

post #17 of 31 Old 12-31-2018, 08:19 AM
pvanfab.com

These are similar to ones I use. https://www.amazon.com/Chuck-EUBags-.../dp/B07F13PZJQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post

post #18 of 31 Old 12-31-2018, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvanweelden View Post
These are similar to ones I use. https://www.amazon.com/Chuck-EUBags-.../dp/B07F13PZJQ

I'm using these because they grip from two sides versus one as shown in the pics above. i like that they are shorter too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008PZ7LMW
pvanweelden likes this.
post #19 of 31 Old 12-31-2018, 08:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

Quote:
I'm using these because they grip from two sides versus one as shown in the pics above. i like that they are shorter too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008PZ7LMW
I need a chuck that is 90 degrees from the hose.

The reason being is I have Method beadlocks where the valve stem is inside the spoke making for a very tight fit. Method ships with 45 degree valve stems so you can easily access them but I opted for short regular ones that allow me to mount the tpms sensors (Yes I want it to be functional!) as the 45 degree ones dont have a provision for that. I searched long and hard for 45 degree stems that have tpms provision and couldnt find them

With the ones you guys have listed, I dont think I would be able to get the hose onto the stem. I would prefer the one @White13JKUR is using as it looks like it would hold better but I just dont know how it would fit in

post #20 of 31 Old 12-31-2018, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I need a chuck that is 90 degrees from the hose.

The reason being is I have Method beadlocks where the valve stem is inside the spoke making for a very tight fit. Method ships with 45 degree valve stems so you can easily access them but I opted for short regular ones that allow me to mount the tpms sensors (Yes I want it to be functional!) as the 45 degree ones dont have a provision for that. I searched long and hard for 45 degree stems that have tpms provision and couldnt find them

With the ones you guys have listed, I dont think I would be able to get the hose onto the stem. I would prefer the one @White13JKUR is using as it looks like it would hold better but I just dont know how it would fit in
The one I linked to is the one I ended up using. It is pretty short and lower profile than the other so you might be able to use a male-female elbow on it if you need to. I was using them on my trailreadys (now sold - can't take new pics) without issue and that valve stem had to be tilted out a little so I could slide the chuck on there easier.

The one I linked to screws right on to the hose.
post #21 of 31 Old 12-31-2018, 11:00 AM
pvanfab.com

90 degree fitting. Use with the chucks White13 posted
https://www.amazon.com/Boeray-Fittin.../dp/B07318CNHG

White13JKUR likes this.

post #22 of 31 Old 01-01-2019, 09:33 AM
DJ1
Rock God

I did something similar but used a pressure regulator instead so I could just set it and forget it. It is coupled to a 4-way T with Milton "kwik change" couplers so I can connect 4 lines at once but I typically just run 2 so I don't burn out the ARB compressor...

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 9.24.18 AM.png
Views: 239
Size:  248.3 KB

For chucks, I use right angle Milton's. You know me, I don't like buying commie goods if I can avoid it so I go with Made in the USA - Milton...

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 9.25.33 AM.png
Views: 236
Size:  101.0 KB

This separate attachment also make it convenient to check air pressure without having to squat down. Makes it much easier on the your back. The one I use has a dual-head chuck which makes things very easy regardless where the valve stem is...

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 9.27.03 AM.png
Views: 232
Size:  123.2 KB
post #23 of 31 Old 01-01-2019, 11:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Man you guys are really making me want to redo my air system. Maybe when I get around to installing the Oasis...

post #24 of 31 Old 01-01-2019, 11:25 AM
pvanfab.com

Quote:
Man you guys are really making me want to redo my air system. Maybe when I get around to installing the Oasis...
Fyi, the oasis is a York compressor, which I have belt driven under my hood 10 cfm

post #25 of 31 Old 01-01-2019, 12:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Fyi, the oasis is a York compressor, which I have belt driven under my hood 10 cfm

FYI, an oasis is an electric driven York. I also have a York under my hood but an Oasis spins it faster...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode