How to get minor scratches out..... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 09-08-2010, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
ADDICTION II build begins....

How to get minor scratches out.....

I thought I would put this in the write-up department since there have been a few threads asking "how to remove scratches".....I know of at least 4 threads that I have posted this information in over the last 6 months. A fellow Oahu wheeler (bblustang90) showed me how to do this on my 2 Door JK to remove all the hard water stains (as well as minor rub marks) before I sold it and still use the process on my 4 door now. Hope this helps all of you if it applies:

go to the store and buy a Porter Cable ORBITAL buffer (sells with a buffing pad and sanding pad) and then buy McGuires Mirror Magic Dual Action Cleaner/Polisher compound.

1. Wash your Jeep with any car wash.
2. damp the buffer pad on the buffer and apply a little of McGuires Cleaner compound onto the pad.
3. Use the McGuires Cleaner compound with the Porter Cable Orbital Buffer on low speed allowing the buffer to do the work (will take a little pressure but not much).
4. After you get done buffing where all the scratches are really good, wash the Jeep to wash off the cleaner agent.
** you should see all the surface rubs/scratches came out. Deep scratches in the paint it will not work without touch-up paint.
5. Use McGuires 2.0 sealant wax after washing....just use a clean rag and spread it on.
6. Use XP Renew It spray (purple in color) and spray on the wax using a microfiber cloth to wipe it off (MAKES IT REALLY EASY TO BUFF OUT THE WAX WITHOUT USING ALL YOUR STRENGTH!) If you buy a second buffer pad, you can spray the Renew it on the Jeep and have a second person come behind you using the buffer to do all the wiping. Goes much quicker!!

Hope this helps everyone!

U.S. Army
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TXROCK; 01-15-2011 at 01:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-08-2010, 10:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks!

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-09-2010, 02:12 AM
Granite Guru

A friend at a bodyshop told me if you run your fingernail across a scratch and can't feel it, it can almost always be buffed out with a method like the one described in the OP. If you can feel the scratch with your nail, it likely will need to be wetsanded first or even repainted.

2009 X 2-door 6-speed
budget boost, bilsteins, discos, 35's, 4.88's, and more issues than TV Guide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-14-2011, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

Refreshing the page in case anyone else is in need of scratch relief!

U.S. Army
post #5 of 13 Old 01-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Wheeler

You could always drive through the woods and get rid of those small scratches by making them BIGGER!
post #6 of 13 Old 01-14-2011, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008jkrubi View Post
You could always drive through the woods and get rid of those small scratches by making them BIGGER!
very true.....then you aren't worried about buffing it out, just get a new paint job!

U.S. Army
post #7 of 13 Old 01-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Rock God

Thanks for this, I will do this when I gets nice out, umm like 4 months from now. LOL any way thank you.

2010 2 door sport, 6 speed,Dark Charcoal Pearl
post #8 of 13 Old 01-14-2011, 09:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008jkrubi View Post
i love adding scratches to my jeep lol. im proud of my scratches

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #9 of 13 Old 01-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Granite Guru

It's a damn Jeep get over it.

07 2dr 35s 3.5 spring lift,rear 4.5 front 488s winch, TnTfront stinger bumper,flow master exhaust.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-14-2011, 11:24 PM
Rock God

My gardener just put some deep scratches on my jeep. Pisses me off because I didn't do them. I think he hit it with the weed wacker. I used a black marker to cover them up.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-15-2011, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeGo4x4 View Post
My gardener just put some deep scratches on my jeep. Pisses me off because I didn't do them. I think he hit it with the weed wacker. I used a black marker to cover them up.
I am exactly the same way....if I scratch it then all is good. But if someone else does it then I get ticked off. Had a contracted lawncare guy weedwacking along the curb at a military base school and hit a rock right up into the side of my truck I use to have (when it was right off of the lot). Of course claims gave me the 3 quotes run around and fill out a bunch of forms that will be evaluated 6-12 months later.

Anyway, I put this up a while back because there was interest by some when they were selling their Jeeps/wanting to put it in a show. I saw a bunch of Jeeps up for sale in the recent threads so thought I would bring it back to life in case anyone was interested.

So for those of you who want to complain about this thread that was created to help other Jeepers......go call someone cause I don't really care whether you agree or not! Have a nice day.

U.S. Army

Last edited by TXROCK; 01-15-2011 at 02:21 AM.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-25-2011, 08:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

this just helped me get some scratches out where someone wrote in the mud on my jeep and it scratched my paint. thanks for posting it up.

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #13 of 13 Old 04-25-2011, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

You're welcome!

U.S. Army
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode