River Raider Off Road - Evap Skid Install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 09-01-2010, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
River Raider Off Road - Evap Skid Install

I am sure someone else has done this, but here we go again.

Purchased the RROR Evap Skid in Bare Steel. So have to get a protective coating and paint done.

Here in Minnesota we have been known to have some Snow and Ice during a given part of the year. So I was talking with a powder coating company in the Twin Cities and they suggested getting the bare steel treated with a Zinc Coating first. So the first picture shows after the Zinc Coating (Plating with a black color). Had three choices clear, yellow or black. Well decided that since I am having it black powder coat, might as well have the Zinc Coating as black as well. I am hoping for a couple of things from this that the bare steel is protected from our winter road treatments better and that scratches would be hidden better.

The next photo shows the Powder Coating (the quality of the photo is off due a dark garage and dark back of the JK). But you should be able to get the idea.
Tip: I did use a 1/2-13NC and a 5/16-18NC taps just to clear the powder coating from the threaded holes.

The next 3 photos show the Factory mounting of the Evap Tank.
Attached Images

07 X 2 door
Red Rock Crystal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

www.militaryjeepers.com

Last edited by redcat; 09-01-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-01-2010, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

2 Hose and Wire connection on the back of the tank.

Rear mounting bolt.
Attached Images

07 X 2 door
Red Rock Crystal

www.militaryjeepers.com
post #3 of 17 Old 09-01-2010, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Front mounting of the OEM.

How far the unprotected Tank hangs from the frame.

Show Evap Tank removed from the JK and the OEM mounting plate.

The next photo show the screwdriver lifting a locking tab clear to slide tank off of the Factory Mounting plate. A couple of love taps with a rubber mallet, the tank will slide off the factory mounting.

Here is the Evap Tank free of the Factory mounting
Attached Images

07 X 2 door
Red Rock Crystal

www.militaryjeepers.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 09-01-2010, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

This is showing how the Evap Tank mounts inside the skid with the hold down bar installed.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Insure the Tank is in the proper orientation as the Factory installation (Top of Tank in the UP; Bottom of Tank is Down)
And now you can see how much more the Evap Tank is protected.

Rear view showing the Tank in the Skid.

The tape measure is showing the rear skid mounting is 17 1/4 inches from the front mounting plate.
Install tip:
Install the front Skid mounting square to the frame and tighten it down.
The rear Skid mounting in place but just snug.
Hang and bolt in the front of the Skid Plate, than bolt in the rear of the skid (this allow alignment of Skid Plate on the rear mounting), than tighten all of the Skid Plate bolts and with an extension on your wrench you can now tighten the rear Skid Mounting thru the opening in the rear of the skid.

It does show the Skid Plate hanging a little lower, but that is the plate that will take the hit, not the Evap Tank.

Here is how it looks from a 3/4 view hanging from the frame of the JK.
Attached Images

07 X 2 door
Red Rock Crystal

www.militaryjeepers.com
post #5 of 17 Old 09-01-2010, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

We did fine that the hose on the right was close to the upper edge of the Skid Plate. We felt that adding a small chunk of hose zipped tied around the factory tubing would be good thing to prevent chafing.

The last photo shows the finial install of RROR Evap Skid Plate. The instruction provided from River Raider are clear, but their customer service is topped notched and a Phone Call or eMail away for any questions.

Another Tip: we used anti zeise compound on all bolts and threads, plus die electric grease on the electrical connection.

If you are wondering what the red stuff on the plastic tank is; that came from the Iron Range Mud, kinda likes to stick to everything.

It was a fun DIY project. Now ready to wheel some more.
Attached Images

07 X 2 door
Red Rock Crystal

www.militaryjeepers.com

Last edited by redcat; 09-01-2010 at 12:26 PM.
post #6 of 17 Old 09-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Rock God

Nice write up I will sure use this when I get mine thanks.

2010 2 door sport, 6 speed,Dark Charcoal Pearl
post #7 of 17 Old 09-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Rock God

Garage

Nice writeup. Actually just put mine on over the weekend and you are right on. Mount the front first and let it "hang" so you can make sure that the rear mount will line up properly. Learned that one the hard way. Despite measuring, one of the bolt holes was a hair off and wouldn't thread properly at first.

Jersey
Crew
JK retired Wednesday, March 21st, 2012.
07 X 6spd • Clayton 3.5 • OME LT • ORE Gussets/Sleeves • RCV Shafts • JKS Discos & Track • AEV Snorkel • FLW Rear Bumper • RRF Front• PSC Sliders • RROR Skids • Poly P. Ball Joints• Wood's Shafts• Yukon Gears • Maxxis Kreepy Krawlers • Superwinch epi9• Safari Straps
post #8 of 17 Old 09-01-2010, 02:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Great write up, I forgot to take notes on the hose connections when I did my write up but I did include tap sizes for those who need to recover the threads after finishing the bare metal.

I'm going to dig up my write up and note this thread for the connections section!....

/

post #9 of 17 Old 09-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Granite Guru

I just put mine on last week in prep for my trip to Rausch Creek. Super easy, the paint took longer to do.
post #10 of 17 Old 09-06-2010, 05:01 AM
Rock God

Redcats jeep is one dirty dog. Get a lot of sand in your face doing that mod? Good to see you you use it. ( or your mall has a mud parking lot)
post #11 of 17 Old 09-06-2010, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Oh it gets used as it is suppose to be used. I personally can't stand the Malls. Just back from Northwoods Overland over in Wisconsin. Lots of Mud, Stumps and some rocks. Twisty trails thru the woods. Will be posting a write up later on this week, with a montage of video and photos.

We also have taken out to Appleton and Gilbert, Minnesota's ORV Parks sponsored by the State DNR.

07 X 2 door
Red Rock Crystal

www.militaryjeepers.com
post #12 of 17 Old 09-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Rock God

cool carry on, drive fast run red lites!
post #13 of 17 Old 09-08-2010, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Thank you River Raiders

Well after this past weekend of wheeling in Wisconsin:

YouTube - TSE - Northwoods Overland (Sep 2010)

While under the Jeep doing an oil change I glance at the skid Plate and noticed a scratch near the hoses coming out of the evap tank. I think had the skid plate not been there, the out come would have been a bad thing.

Thank You Kenny @ River raiders for a great product. It has all ready paid for itself!

07 X 2 door
Red Rock Crystal

www.militaryjeepers.com
post #14 of 17 Old 10-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Granite Guru

I used this write up to do my install today if you install Exactly like this write up you will save yourself some unwanted aggrevation!I also added a small legnth of hose as recommended.Thank you for the write up it was very helpful
post #15 of 17 Old 10-10-2010, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

I am glad that all went well with your install. Have fun with the JK.

07 X 2 door
Red Rock Crystal

www.militaryjeepers.com
post #16 of 17 Old 10-10-2010, 08:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

glad this was brought up again this is the write up i will be following thanks.
post #17 of 17 Old 12-16-2010, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

btt

07 X 2 door
Red Rock Crystal

www.militaryjeepers.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode