New mod: map/reading light - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-31-2010, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig
New mod: map/reading light

i've had these lights in the center console of the JK for over 2 years now. i literally just last night installed ONE of them. :lmao:

here's the theory. 12v source. switch. mount the light since it's surface mount. i mounted the one for Lori on the down-facing angle towards her. it actually angles pretty decent toward the lap of the passenger and doesnt glare too much. works good.

for ease of install, i removed my soundbar. 6 bolts hold it in. 2 on the crossbar over the dvr/pas heads and 4 on the lateral bars. unplug the harness and it slips out. I mounted a standard (lit) switch by the speaker for depth reasons and also so Lori can reach back behind her head and flip it on.

here, the light is mounted and the power wire routed into the soundbar.

I basically just fished the wire in between the forward mount and the recess for the hardtop screws. drilled straight in, then angled the hole towards the gap so i could angle the wire.

here, the switch is mounted and wired. i ran the 12v source through the grommet on the soundbar and took the power from my HAM radio harness, then up the B-pilar. it's LED, the radio won't even notice it.

here, the finished product.

I got the lights at Super Bright LED

in general purpose lights.... accent lighting...
i have two sets of lights. i installed a pair of the ULITE models led lights under the dash to light up the front foot well. they do wonders. the light i installed on the soundbar is the ALM-x6 light.

the way their site is setup, i cant see a way to link directly to the product.

maybe two years from now, i'll get the one installed on my side.

its a decent little accessory. it certainly helps light up dark spots inside that the standard dome lights do not illuminate. i just wish i had gotten off my ass and done it sooner. if you get red-x's.. the pics are on facebook, so if your server wont allow facebook access, it'll show the red-x.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-01-2010, 08:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

looks good. think you can get some night shots? im thinking about running a dual color interior light. white for normal vision and red or subdued green for when i dont wanna mess with my night eyes.

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #3 of 8 Old 12-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Granite Guru

I miss the map lights in my 2005 Unlimited they were in the rearview mirror on the windshield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-04-2010, 06:51 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

that is awesome and a great idea! Keeps it simple on lighting without turning on the entire cabin....especially when the kids are asleep!

U.S. Army
post #5 of 8 Old 12-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Rock God

Hay that's sweet, and nice idea thanks for showing us that

2010 2 door sport, 6 speed,Dark Charcoal Pearl
post #6 of 8 Old 12-05-2010, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

i was thinking about this post the other night... when we used this light about 5 times. i'll try to remember to take a night shot inside to show the lighting area. after a couple months use, I think this may be the about the most useful mod/addition. cheaper that some of the rear-view mirror mods...

i'm very happy with the result. i've literally only got a few bucks invested in it. the rest of it is just my time.

thanks!

post #7 of 8 Old 12-06-2010, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

ok. here are the pics.

I'm using an Olympus Stylus Tough camera... the brighter pics are using the "night" settings... the one dimmer photo is using the auto setting... just for reference. it does show where the light is focused, and how much spread there is.

[img]http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/102/l_ec75dd72afda40fdb7198f044b90e471.jpg[/img

oh.
the passenger seat is slid about all the way back, too. thats the way we tend to keep it.

post #8 of 8 Old 12-07-2010, 02:24 AM
JKO Addict!

WTG! I may have to try this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode