Windsheild lights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 08-29-2010, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Windsheild lights

Well I finally got around to my first mod on the jeep today. I had a set of Hella 500 off road lamps on a motorcycle of mine that I never really used that much. So I decided to recycle them on the wrangler. I bought a set of rugged ridge mounts and finally got around to installing them.

First off I installed the brackets, pretty self explanatory.

Once the brackets were on, I went ahead and tossed the lights on.

Then I pulled the covers off the wiper arms and pulled the torx screws that hold the valance on.

Once there, just use a 13mm socket to unbolt the wipers from the pivots. Don't worry, they're indexed. They have a tapered spline, one came off easy. The other I folded and used the arm to lightly rock it off the taper. I used the hood hinge mounts to ground the lights to. (separate leads) Then I ran the power leads behind the factory harness from the drivers side over to the passenger side.

I installed the relay near the battery and tapped off the screw terminal for power. I used a fender bolt to ground the relay to.

I then ran the trigger line back over to the drivers side. There is a grommet just to the bottom left of the brake booster I used to pass the wire through. My jeep is an auto, so that might be used for the clutch master on a stick. I pulled apart the dash area around the radio for a key on power. I picked the keyed cig lighter. Unfortunately I didn't get pics of all of this. The lowest panel that has the bungee net on it simply pops off. You'll need a 7mm nutdriver to remove the two bottom screws to allow access to the wiring of the cig lighter.

Crappy cell pic, but I just dropped the wiring out under the steering column. The panel just pops loose and has a hinge at the bottom. Since I've got a lighted toggle switch, one lead is positive (from the cig lighter), one is ground, and the other the lead to the relay. Pay no mind to the wire colors, I'm "recycling". LOL

I'm not a fan of drilling a big hole in the dash for this large switch, so I picked the "door" panel under the column to put the switch in. I'm right handed, so it's near the ign. switch. (but not in the way)

Now that the wiring is in place, it's time to throw the switch. Good deal, no magic smoke got out!

2010 - Unlimited Sport, Hella 500's on the windsheild. Hey it's a start!
1988 - Suzuki Samurai with a VW 1.6 turbo diesel, twin cases, SOA lift, YJ springs, onboard welder, and more
1999 - Dodge Ram 2500 cummins 4x4, 35's, 3" lift, 462rwhp "The tow truck"

Hers:
2005 - Jeep Liberty CRD. APS converter, transgo shift kit, glasspack muffler, Diablo Power puck 27+ mpg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-29-2010, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Now put the valance panel back in place and the wipers.

And a daytime shot of all the lights...

Fogs only

Fogs and low beams

Phasers set to kill

Hope no one tries to blind me with their high beams.

2010 - Unlimited Sport, Hella 500's on the windsheild. Hey it's a start!
1988 - Suzuki Samurai with a VW 1.6 turbo diesel, twin cases, SOA lift, YJ springs, onboard welder, and more
1999 - Dodge Ram 2500 cummins 4x4, 35's, 3" lift, 462rwhp "The tow truck"

Hers:
2005 - Jeep Liberty CRD. APS converter, transgo shift kit, glasspack muffler, Diablo Power puck 27+ mpg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-29-2010, 08:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Great write up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Nice report. I did the same project last week and ran the wires just like you did but I have an existing SPod so I plugged into that. That Rugged Ridge mount is beefy!

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #5 of 5 Old 10-15-2011, 05:53 PM
Rock God

hey i have the same lights in the same palce - only thing i did diferently is wire them into the high-beams so they all come on at once w/ the OEM high-beam switch on the column.

O||||O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode