sPOD install for Dummies!!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 08-28-2010, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to JohnnyWalker
sPOD install for Dummies!!!

I'm the first to admit that I'm not the brightest when it comes to electrical installs... or any install for that matter. Most of us know about the reputation that John over at sPOD has when it comes to support/customer service, so I pulled the trigger on one of his systems.

Step one is to drill the rivet heads off of the footman loop on the top of the windshield. Use a 1/4" bit and medium pressure to take them right off. I just knocked the remaining portion of the rivets into the windshield frame.

Remember when I said that I was a dummy? The following picture is of the REPLACEMENT "M" bolt that John sent me (for free) after I had broken the one that came with the kit. It goes into the right footman hole, and comes out on the left. The original was off by about 1/8th of an inch and I thought (ha!) that I could bend it with some vice grips. I gorilla'd it and it broke. This time, I reamed (lol) the left hole just a smidge with my 1/4" bit and it went right in! After that, you just attach the footman's loop and the switch bank bracket and tighten the 2 nuts.

After that, you can thread the connectors end of the wires through the footman's loop, connect the opposite end to the sPOD, replace the top windshield plastic trim, screw the sPOD on the bracket and proceed to route the wires behind the plastic and over to the driver's side A-pillar. Route them behind the A pillar trim and remove the plastic that's on the outboard side of your dash. Be patient while routing, it may take you a minute also.

Next, grab a wire coat hanger and some electrical tape. Open the hood and look at the firewall above the master cylinder. There you will find the rear washer fluid line leading into the cab, secured by a rubber insert. I disconnected the washer fluid line at a plastic connector about a foot into the hood, and removed the rubber insert. Then fish the coat hanger through the hole and into the cab. Tape the loose connectors to the wire and fish it back through to the engine compartment. Too easy!

Now route the sPOD wires and the washer fluid line through the included grommet and install said grommet. It took me a while to install the grommet because I had never done it before. It takes some squeezing and patience, but it eventually went on. I'm positive that I could do it again in less than a minute now that I know how, though. Oh, don't forget to reconnect that washer fluid line.

Next take the top off of the sPOD source and route the sPOD wire group through the cutout that's closest to the sPOD logo. I DIDN'T do this the first time because I am a dummy. Needless to say, the cover won't go back on if you don't. The connections couldn't be easier, and you can probably make them look better than I did. My sPOD came with the Low Voltage CutOff switch, so I had to connect that also. REALLY, REALLY easy!

THE FOLLOWING PICTURE SHOWS PROPER CONNECTIONS, BUT IMPROPER WIRE GROUP ROUTING MENTIONED ABOVE. I forgot to take a new picture..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Did you just search for "gay" or "halo" and bump those threads?

Last edited by JohnnyWalker; 01-11-2011 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Photobucket evicted me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-28-2010, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Almost Done! I put the cover back on because I have nothing to hook up to the sPOD yet, but you can see how easy it's gonna be to add electronic mods. The Source screws on to a piece in the Jeep that I can't name, but the washer fluid is on the other side. It attaches with the original Jeep screws that are indicated in the super-detailed instructions (with pictures). All that's left is to route the leads to the battery along the firewall, connect them, and neaten everything up with the included zipties.

The whole install took me about 3.5 hours, but you can probably do better. Big thanks to John for sending me a replacement for the part I broke at no charge. All I need to do now is buy some stuff to hook up to it!!

Oh, and I can't say I did this alone... I had a good helper.

Quote:

Last edited by JohnnyWalker; 01-11-2011 at 05:51 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-28-2010, 09:40 PM
Wheeler

A Big Thank You to You

I pulled the trigger earlier this week for mine, I am waiting for UPS to deliver the system. Thanks for the pictures and a great write up!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-30-2010, 10:16 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Cool, one of my next projects. Cute helper? What about 3? Mine is 22 and not as much fun anymore. Oh, and he cost'o pleanty as a student!

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Granite Guru

Very nice!

Badass Bumpers, Dual Battery Systems, Rockcrawler Oil Pans and More!
www.benchmarkdesigns.com
post #6 of 11 Old 09-03-2010, 01:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Very nice ...subscribed!!

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #7 of 11 Old 09-11-2010, 09:05 PM
Rock God

I did't see where they offered the switches and the air guage?? was this special order or did I miss it on their site?

"Freedom through Strength"
post #8 of 11 Old 09-11-2010, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweight View Post
I did't see where they offered the switches and the air guage?? was this special order or did I miss it on their site?
You missed it... It's there.
http://www.4x4s-pod.com/products/jk-...with-air-guage

And Kev, yeah, he just turned 3. Getting more and more fun to have around, but that dude is into EVERYTHING.

Quote:
post #9 of 11 Old 09-11-2010, 09:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

John makes a excellent product and to top that he offers even better customer service if ever needed,that's what puts him above the rest of the competition in my opinion.

P.S. his s-Pod crew rock's

post #10 of 11 Old 09-12-2010, 07:45 AM
Rock God

Garage

I have this system as well and I can't begin to tell you how happy I am with it. And John's costumer service is second to none!!

JKOutcast
post #11 of 11 Old 08-25-2012, 12:47 PM

Best iupgrade

My teenage son and I just finished installing my SPod on my 2011 Rubicon (1 Hour). Best upgrade I have put on yet. I have been holding off on several items, wanting to get the SPod first so I can hook them up to it.
Probably the most quality product I have run across, with terrific instructions.
If you don't have one I highly recommend it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode