RK 2.5 Max Travel Pro Mid Arm Kit - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 08-09-2010, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
RK 2.5 Max Travel Pro Mid Arm Kit

Finally. Got it suspended yesterday, couple small things still to do I will explain at the end, here we go:

Rock Krawler Suspenions 2.5 Max Travel Pro Mid Arm System

Here you can see what you get:

Set up the rig on jack stands and remove the front sway bar links, tracbar, shocks and springsin that order, will help)

Here is a side by side of the front springs, stock vs RK. :

Then remove the lower control arms:

Heres a side by side of stocvk LCA's vs RK's, pretty friggin sweet huh:

Install the RK LCA's
-RK's LCA's do not use grease, they are so tight that all is needed is some WD40. Either sprayed all over em if your on the trail, or remove the little allen plug and shoot some in the hole. I did that before hand. The jam nuts, crank em down, dont be a wuss...there huge. Red Locktite is also to be used. No more than 5/8" of threads should show after locking em down.

Install the heavy duty RK front trackbar:
-again, huge jam nuts, no pussy shit...crank em down keeping an equal amount of threads on each side.

Install the front springs:
-watch the seat, make sure there spun into the seat all the way, so its hits the stop.

Install your shocks, and sway bar links. Although I have the auto disconnect, I chose to use RK's quick discos cause I like even 2wd disconnected, and the little disco motor takes up alot of room where my sunken winch will be one day, in other words its out eventually.

At this point I lowered the jeep onto the ground and tightened that trackbar and lower control arms. I had also took the 10mm bolt out of the frame to sag the brake lines. So those were also put back. This kit comes with stainless brake lines. Rolling solo, I wont be doing mine until next weekend when I get someone to push the brake peddle in for me. I hate those pump deals for bleeding, never got em to work right.

There is also a heavy duty tie rod, you need to purchase mopar ends for it, which I ordered a while ago, and im still waiting on. So, being that its a popular upgrade in itself, ill do another write up on that when I get the ends in.

Rock Krawler . Bilstein . BFG . HiLift . Aeroforce . BnM . Mobil1 . Mopar . Viair

Ragga Fucking Jungle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-09-2010, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Ok, onto the rear, you need to drill, and weld(before offroading it, couple days on road is fine). I drilled....but need a 220 outlet still, so well get back to that in a sec.

Support your rig again so you can drop the rear axle, remove the sway bar links, trackbar, shocks, and springs:

I only removed the bottom nut on my swaybar links. I then just pushed the bar and links way up out of the way. I chose to use my links cause there adjustable. RK supplies really thick nice ones set at the height you need, the bar is pretty much at 0 degrees which is where you want the rear. (i like the rear at 0, and the front at about -5)

Then youll remove the rear lower control arms. Here is a side by side of the rears, stock vs RK:

Now we go check out the super fat rear trackbar relocation bracket. This is what requires drilling and welding. Youll need a 1/2" drill bit, and a 10mm drill bit. There are two holes youll drill in the factory mount, as follows:

one on the side here:

i wish I could draw an arrow, its the hole closest to the axle tube

and then the 10mm hole on the top, like this:

Then were ready to bolt on the new mount RK supplies:
WHen you do this, you will see the mount cradles the axle tube. There is also a little bit of space between the tube and the mount. Had the mount gone all the way to the axle tube, it would hit the factory welds and not seat correctly, so this is normal. When you weld it, the space will be filled easily.

Then I put in the trackbar:

Next, LCA's:

Then rear springs:
stock vs RK

in there:
you can also see the trackbar side hole good here

Then you install your shocks, and sway bar links. Rear stainless brakelines are also supplied, for next week I guess.

Put the tires on, lower it onto the ground, and tighten the tracbar and LCA's.

Its done, pretty easy install, myself in about 4 hours total. While drinking massive amounts of beer, so my test drive happened today, it was perfect. Goes and stops straight, the ride is.....well night and day better. I also cant feel the curb I run over getting into my driveway now. Im very very happy, and wil have some forklift flexy shots tomorrow when I go back to work.

Rock Krawler . Bilstein . BFG . HiLift . Aeroforce . BnM . Mobil1 . Mopar . Viair

Ragga Fucking Jungle

Last edited by mikebigh; 08-09-2010 at 11:11 AM.
post #3 of 24 Old 08-09-2010, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

im thinking 42's for the bus.

Ragga Fucking Jungle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 08-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Rock God

Man, that is sweet! Great write-up
RK is awesome stuff at a great price!

Looks great. Let us know how it rides and wheels!

Leave the bus alone, unless your talkin a big bore 1600

Last edited by ZOSO-Green; 08-09-2010 at 04:54 PM.
post #5 of 24 Old 08-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Wheeler

Thanks for posting this writeup, ive been thinking bout this kit as well. What was the actual lift you gained from this setup, maybe closer to 3"? or is it pretty true to 2.5"? Looks sweet!! Cant wait to see some flex shots
post #6 of 24 Old 08-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Rock God

Please let me in on your trick on centering your front axle while it was on jack stands.

thanks.
post #7 of 24 Old 08-10-2010, 05:21 AM
Rock God

For the most part, it'll center itself up with the track bar off, then just push slightly on the body until it's perfect.

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
post #8 of 24 Old 08-10-2010, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOSO-Green View Post
Man, that is sweet! Great write-up
RK is awesome stuff at a great price!

Looks great. Let us know how it rides and wheels!

Leave the bus alone, unless your talkin a big bore 1600
Agreed

thanks dude!! Its rides awesome, will wheel it next Saturday.

its an 1800 dawg! 74, last year of carbs(it has big ass webers on it) and first year of the full bed upstairs.

Ragga Fucking Jungle
post #9 of 24 Old 08-10-2010, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon85 View Post
Thanks for posting this writeup, ive been thinking bout this kit as well. What was the actual lift you gained from this setup, maybe closer to 3"? or is it pretty true to 2.5"? Looks sweet!! Cant wait to see some flex shots
I wasnt going from stock, so I dont know how much I gained from bumper to ground had it been stock and went to this. But from a 2.5 inch budget boost I gained about an inch of height all around. The front springs are 3 inch springs, and the rear a bit less tall to level it out. I forget the exact height though.

Ragga Fucking Jungle
post #10 of 24 Old 08-10-2010, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prope View Post
For the most part, it'll center itself up with the track bar off, then just push slightly on the body until it's perfect.
This, plus a cool thing that makes it really easy, is on RK's kits....all of the lengths for everything needed are there to get a good base before an alignment. Upper and Lower LCA's, Track bar lengths, so its pretty much right where you want it before it even bolts in. I didnt have to re-adjust anything after wards. I also just did 70 mph for 30 miles, straight as an arrow, no vibrations, no steering issues.

DTJK - just realized what you meant, it wasnt on stands, on jacks...they roll. lol. Also, the side to side is slight, so even on stands you can move the body enough to line up the holes.

Ragga Fucking Jungle

Last edited by mikebigh; 08-10-2010 at 08:10 AM.
post #11 of 24 Old 08-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Granite Guru

What size tires are you running? Was thinking about going with this lift and the bushwaker flat flare and running 37's. I don't want to lift mine to high so so I can keep the CG low.
post #12 of 24 Old 08-11-2010, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUD707 View Post
What size tires are you running? Was thinking about going with this lift and the bushwaker flat flare and running 37's. I don't want to lift mine to high so so I can keep the CG low.
those are 35's. There was someone running 37's trimming a bit and lifted 2.5 inches, should be good.

Ragga Fucking Jungle
post #13 of 24 Old 08-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Rock God

Great write up and great looking jeep. Will definitely use this as a guide when I'm ready to move up to 35's and buy this lift. Looking forward to the flex shots.

2008 X 2-door, 35" Duratacs, Clayton Long-arm, geared and locked

2012 Rubi 2-door, 37" Nittos, Method Beadlocks, JKS Suspension, JCR everything
post #14 of 24 Old 08-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Granite Guru

Are you running factory drive shafts?

Jeep sold 9/18/2015.
post #15 of 24 Old 08-12-2010, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Yes, factory dirveshafts.

Ragga Fucking Jungle
post #16 of 24 Old 08-18-2010, 12:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice write up
post #17 of 24 Old 09-19-2010, 06:02 PM
Granite Guru

Jeep looks great!
post #18 of 24 Old 09-19-2010, 06:22 PM
Granite Guru

Nice write up and congrats on a great looking rig!

I would really like to see that bus on 42s lol.

[Don't pretend you care what I've done to my rig]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
I love the cock so much that even my avatar is just a pile of hot meat.
post #19 of 24 Old 09-19-2010, 08:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I really want to see some flex shots of this suspension. I've been eyeing up RK's newest kits for a while now, and this looks like it turned out great. I'm thinking I would need a bit more lift to run 37s, maybe even do a triple threat set up, but I'd love to see the flex of this jaunt.

Nice looking JK!

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #20 of 24 Old 09-19-2010, 09:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Rig looks good.

I would like to make a correction though. WD-40 is not a lubicant. RK suggests a drop or three of 3 in 1 oil on the joints every oil change. At least that's what they told me. I doubt they'd wear out, but as stated WD-40 is not a lube and shouldn't be used as such.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #21 of 24 Old 10-07-2010, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Rig looks good.

I would like to make a correction though. WD-40 is not a lubicant. RK suggests a drop or three of 3 in 1 oil on the joints every oil change. At least that's what they told me. I doubt they'd wear out, but as stated WD-40 is not a lube and shouldn't be used as such.
what?

Ragga Fucking Jungle
post #22 of 24 Old 10-07-2010, 02:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebigh View Post
what?
Huh?

post #23 of 24 Old 10-09-2010, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Huh?
lol

Ragga Fucking Jungle
post #24 of 24 Old 10-09-2010, 12:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebigh View Post
lol
I couldn't resist.

I was told to use 3 in 1 on my arms. That's all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode