DIY: On Board Air (Engine Bay Mounted) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-21-2010, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
DIY: On Board Air (Engine Bay Mounted)

I know this isn't anything drastically new, but I did make my own mount for the compressor and the design is below incase you want to try your hand at some easy fabrication.........

COMPRESSOR CHOSEN:
=SuperFlow MV50 Air Compressor, ~$60
It gets good reviews, aired up from 15lbs-43lbs stock 31" in 4:15min. The connector is standard quick disconnect(but the hose that comes with it is screwy at the end so tossed it)....here it is:

MOUNT PARTS:
=4" wide - 1/8" thick flat steel x about 20" (runs about $5 at a metal recycling/wholesaler I have down the street)
=black paint
=drill bits (up to 3/8" for metal)
=welder (flux core 110v works fine)
=angle grinder with cut-off wheel
=black marker
=tape measurer
=straight edge
=something you can use to find an angle
=5/16"x1" bolts (nuts and lock washers too) for mounting compressor

DESIGNED first with cardboard:

* note: "3" meant it was my 3rd and final attempt *

Trace the cardboard design onto your metal:

Ends up with these measurements:

Test Fit Things before welding:

When I had the Angle I wanted for the plate the Compressor mounts to, I used an "angle-finder-keeper-thingy" that I thought I'd never have any use for but still had in the 'ol work bench drawer. Then I moved things to the bench to spot weld:

Once I liked the angle I finished the weld. Then I marked the holes for my compressor and drilled them out to 5/16":

One more Test Fit...almost there:

I WANT TO PAINT IT BLACK............

FINISHED UP:

I didn't take a picture of the wiring. I just ran the wires it came with to the battery hook ups (I cut off the cheap alligator clips it came with). It has an in-line 30 Amp fuse. The switch on the compressor works good enough for me so I'll keep it running off that. The compressor pressure guage seems to be about 5 lbs off....so I just compensate when looking at it. Wrapped the wiring in plastic loom. Wire tied to stock wiring, everything works great and looks like it belongs! Total cost.....$60 for the compressor, $5 for the metal, everything else i already had!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Last edited by IndianaJeep; 07-22-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-21-2010, 02:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Looks pretty good.

Not to shabby for a low buck alternative.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Wheeler

Nice job, thanks for sharing.

I have the same unit and this looks like a good way to mount it.

Thanks

NRA Member!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
/l , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)------)_)

2007 Rubicon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-28-2010, 04:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice low buck solution.

How do you think the pump will hold up with all of the heat under the hood?

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #5 of 11 Old 09-28-2010, 04:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have this compressor so I need to make a mount now! Thanks for the write-up and specifics on the mount.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-01-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Nice low buck solution.

How do you think the pump will hold up with all of the heat under the hood?
I use this same pump, and it is pretty decent.

i too am curious about the under hood heat heat. I don't think this pump is made to stand up to it, so i am looking to see how it does. I guess for $60 you can replace them from time to time.

Dan

Orange County, CA
Black 07 JK X Unlimited Trek top.
4.10 gears with front Aussie locker, rear D44 with Rubicon Locker,
Sway bar Disconnects, Black Diamond 4 inch lift with Rancho Shocks
35 inch BFG KM2 on 17 inch Wheels, Terreflex rock rails, 8k Mile Marker wich, High Rock front bumper
Airaid CIA, Superchips, Magnaflow exhaust, Rubi Trans case.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-02-2010, 09:38 PM
Wheeler

Awesome job. Looks great! Does Autozone or some similar place carry these?

Proud owner of a 4-door Wrangler my daughter has named, without hesitation, "Tiffany."
Quote:
BenFoo: "English MFer, do you speak it?!?!"
USN JFK CV-67
USA 2-149th AVN

Last edited by two ton anchor; 10-02-2010 at 09:59 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-07-2010, 07:26 AM
Granite Guru

I have the same compressor. It died after airing up 2 of my 4 tires on the last trail ride. Just got too hot and seized up. That's the problem with these oiless compressors. So I took it back with my receipt and got a brand new one as an exchange. No cost to me! Now I"m only going to air up one tire and let it cool down for about 15 min and then do it again. I may mount it like this as this is a nice mount and a great write up!

Present - 2009 Rubi Unlimited on 37's -

Present - 2002 Sea Ray 280 Sundancer Sport Cruiser Boat (my other money pit)
Past - 97 XJ, lifted 8", 36" Iroks, locked, D44's, 4:1 case, custom fabbed bumpers, & more
Past - 01 TJ, 4.5 RE SuperFlex Lift, 35" TruXus MT's
post #9 of 11 Old 10-13-2010, 10:07 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMaxim View Post
I have the same compressor. It died after airing up 2 of my 4 tires on the last trail ride. Just got too hot and seized up. That's the problem with these oiless compressors. So I took it back with my receipt and got a brand new one as an exchange. No cost to me! Now I"m only going to air up one tire and let it cool down for about 15 min and then do it again. I may mount it like this as this is a nice mount and a great write up!
I aired up 3 Jeeps last weekend with this. And mine is about 2 years old now. Only pausing between Jeeps. Also curious about the heat under the hood.

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-13-2010, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victim Of Pain View Post
I aired up 3 Jeeps last weekend with this. And mine is about 2 years old now. Only pausing between Jeeps. Also curious about the heat under the hood.
I haven't had any issues of it not working and no burned up wires so I'm not too worried about heat issues from engine.

|
|
post #11 of 11 Old 10-27-2010, 06:06 AM
Granite Guru

Have you had rubbing issues with the thick AC line? I have a similar bracket from One Off Fab and a MV-50 waiting to go on. I'v got about 1-2mm of clearance between the AC hose and the compressor and I was wondering if I should rig up a sling to pull it away a bit.

2008 2 Door X
33x12.5R15 Duratracs on Soft 8's
2'' (3'' actual) Rusty's coil lift
Cobra 75 w/ Wilson 4' Flex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode