GPS/Smartphone mount for 2012-2016 JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jerryn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 06-17-2016, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

GPS/Smartphone mount for 2012-2016 JK

Let's face it.. if you use any of those windshield mounts to hold a smarphone or gps while you are off road they shake like a bobble head. Sometimes on the trails I ride it will shake until it breaks free.
I wasn't too happy with the Rugged Ridge Dash mount, it suffered from the same problem. I wanted to use NAV to navigate my way through some fire roads. Sometime a compass doesn't cut it, especially when you run into a trail that ends. Anyway The not so Rugged Ridge product did give me an idea.

What I did was go on Amazon, buy a RAM Mounts (RAM-B-252U) 2.25" X 0.87" Motorcycle Base with 11 mm Hole and 1" Ball, remove the rubber tray in the cubby, remove the 8mm screw. use the 8mm screw location to mount the RAM motorcycle base. I did not need a washer. It fits.. tighten it down. I used the rubber mat that came with the worthless Rugged Ridge Dash Mount. I attached a RAM Mounts RAM DBL SOCKET ARM A-LENGTH Body Other Bases BLK- RAM-B-201U-A to the motorcycle mount ball, a RAM Mounts (RAM-HOL-PD3U) Universal Spring Loaded Cell Phone Cradle Holder to the RAM Arm. Note you will need to buy a Powerlet RAM 1" Ball Diamond Base and fasten it to the cradle.

Here's the only part I kept from the Not so Rugged Ridge Dash mount:

Here's the worthless piece of crap that no matter how tight you get it.. it's still going to shake like a bobble head when going off road:

Here's the parts I bought. This mount is ROCK SOLID.

I hope this description / howto help you out
ReconJeep likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-18-2016, 12:57 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Would this work on an iphone 6+?

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded ~ Mark Twain

Build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-21-2016, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Yes it would. Ram makes the parts.. you select what you want. The main issue for me was getting a place to mount where my phone while using as a GPS won't shake. What made this work well was the 1" ball motorcycle mount from ram.

Here's the link to RAM.. just look around. You can even get a powered cradle for iphone.

RAM Mounts - Mobile Mounting Solutions for Phones, Tablets, Laptops, Camera & more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 06-26-2016, 08:52 PM
Wheeler

Good idea. I never thought to use that bolt hole underneath the stock rubber stuff. Mounted mine a whole different way but I like this setup much more. Thanks!
post #5 of 15 Old 08-24-2016, 07:58 PM
Wheeler

Just one more item to add to my to do list.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-25-2016, 06:04 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Ram mounts are the shit. I use one to hold a 10.1 inch tablet to the roll bar across the dash and it never moves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-25-2016, 11:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Daystar makes a ball mount with a new rubber tray that works great. Why reinvent the wheel? You can put any brand phone holder on it. It's done a great job holding my phone while bouncing Offroad.

https://www.amazon.com/Daystar-KJ710...ct_top?ie=UTF8

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles

Last edited by BigMike; 08-25-2016 at 11:42 AM.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-26-2016, 07:42 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Daystar makes a ball mount with a new rubber tray that works great. Why reinvent the wheel? You can put any brand phone holder on it. It's done a great job holding my phone while bouncing Offroad.

https://www.amazon.com/Daystar-KJ710...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Looks like that part isn't available anymore.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-18-2016, 05:35 PM
Wheeler

That looks like a great solution pal! Definitely will keep it handy, now that we sold my wife's Jeep I can use all my Jeep budget on mine... lol!
post #10 of 15 Old 09-18-2016, 07:35 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I've wanted to try this option: Jeep® JK Mount for iPhone 6 / 6S (Pack #1) ? 67 Designs

2012 JKUR w/ couple modifications
2002 BMW E46 M3
post #11 of 15 Old 09-27-2016, 02:37 PM
Wheeler

Personally i really like my Rugged Ridge mount and it works extremely well. Held my phone all the way through the Rubicon.
post #12 of 15 Old 11-15-2016, 12:37 PM
Granite Guru

I'm going to be doing the same thing, but with a RAM X-Grip for my iPhone 5S.

I got everything in the mail from Amazon today, but the RAM-B-252U Motorcycle Mount was all chewed up when I got it out of the package. Back it goes!

I'll post up pics to this thread once it's all set up. Sometime after 11/28/16, according to Amazon...

Chase

2013 Billet Silver JKU Sport S, 6-Speed, TF Leveling Kit, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, 285/70R17 Firestone Destination M/Ts on OEM Sport wheels.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-17-2017, 02:07 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I just did this and I have couple comments:
- if you have one of the newer phones double check the size. I had to go with the mount below in order to be able to fit the phone
RAM Universal X-Grip® Large Phone/Phablet Cradle Unpackaged - RAM-HOL-UN10BU | RAM Mounts

- decide if you want to mount your phone vertical or horizontal. This is important ahead of time as the 2" arm might be too short. I kind of wish that I went with either the 3" version
RAM Double Socket Arm for B Size 1" Balls Unpackaged - RAM-B-201U | RAM Mounts
post #14 of 15 Old 07-17-2017, 02:59 PM
Granite Guru

I like Ram mounts, I have as many around my computer as I do in the Jeep.

2014 JK Sport Anvil auto

COI

post #15 of 15 Old 07-18-2017, 01:04 PM

Vector OffRoad makes a utility bar where you can mount multiple devices using RAM mounts. vectoroffroad.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode