iPhone mount on your console under $20 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-06-2010, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

iPhone mount on your console under $20

I posted a thread on mounting uconnect to my "bare bones" stock Mopar radio, here is the rest of the "hands-free" portion of that thread.

Here is the pic of my center console:

I went to Walmart and spen $12 on a cellphone holder from Scosche. The kit came with a couple mounts, and since I opted for man-powered windows I had a nice empty spot between my a/c vents. My initial problem was that the phone holder would hit the vents when I wanted to expand the arms (for alack of a better way of describing it). SOLUTION: I went to Lowes and asked for a spare piece of cut wood they were not going to use (free).

The guys at Lowes cut the wood piece to my specifications (held the plastic piece to the wood) and I painted it black. Next I Gorilla glued the outer edges of the Scosche mount to the wood, drilled four holes into the wood, and then mounted it to my center console (as pictured above).

The back of the Scosche phone holder:

The mount and the holder:

The end result when you snap the two together:

WHAT I DISLIKE:

1. It is not 100% hands free, but I expected that.

2. The screen is not angled towards me; I'll tweek that later, maybe add an angled piece to the wood so it faces me, expect an update later.

3. The daggone wires. I'm looking to get something from the factory that will allow me to plug in my iPhone, play music and charge it at the same time. I do not need buttons on my radio or special gadgets to switch through songs, that's why the phone is mounted that way. I'll but a hole in the center console and route the iPhone wire right up to the phone so that the wire is not dangling "in the way" (or just looking messy).

WHAT I LIKE:

1. I have a free cup holder.

2. I have a place to conveniently put my phone and change songs.

3. My iPhone is a "cheap" GPS.

4. The overall install was under $20.

THE LED LIGHT:

Something like $25 for this thing, it's pretty sweet and serves its purpose. It stays red in the cigarette lighter and is white when pulled out and illuminated.

Last edited by AZRob; 07-06-2010 at 10:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-07-2010, 09:59 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

pretty trick man

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #3 of 12 Old 07-07-2010, 10:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

I used pretty much the same mount but zip tied it to the dash bar of my rockhard cage so its in a great spot for visibility, just to the left of the center stack.
Also ran a charger out the top of the stack under the side of the top piece hardwired into the back of the lighter plug so I can charge the phone while its in the cradle without wires draped down to the lighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-07-2010, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
I used pretty much the same mount but zip tied it to the dash bar of my rockhard cage so its in a great spot for visibility, just to the left of the center stack.
Also ran a charger out the top of the stack under the side of the top piece hardwired into the back of the lighter plug so I can charge the phone while its in the cradle without wires draped down to the lighter
The wire has not gotten in the way of shifting... yet. I didn't think about using zip ties but I didn't have a problem with just screwing it in. I'm just tired of the aux input, the static in the background is driving me crazy.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-07-2010, 12:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Where did you get the LED flashlight? That thing is pretty damn cool
post #6 of 12 Old 07-07-2010, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillidge View Post
Where did you get the LED flashlight? That thing is pretty damn cool
I picked it up at 4 Wheel Parts, $25 (I think).
post #7 of 12 Old 07-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Wheeler

The only problem I see is that you listen to the Black Eyed Peas.....
post #8 of 12 Old 07-08-2010, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Only because Fergie is hot...
post #9 of 12 Old 07-08-2010, 07:55 AM
JKO Addict!

This is what I opted for Ram Mount to mount my iPhone when I want to. I just tuck it out of the way in the lower left corner of the windshield. I like it because it's a nice solid mount that will not move whether you're on the road or the trail AND you can change it the mounting position to pretty much anything you want. The great thing about these mounts are that they're modular so you can reconfigure them to however you want. Just this past weekend I used part of the mount on my mountain bike when we were our riding trails.

They also make mounting solutions for just about anything you can think of for nearly any situation.

Ram-Mount

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-08-2010, 09:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

slight hijack...

I just realized last night that when my phone is in its mount, it "sees" out the windshield perfectly for shooting video - I played around and shot a vid going up the highway - frames perfect - can just barely see the hood and the stinger sticking up at the bottom of the frame and the mount will pivot a bit to make fine adjustments - gotta try and see if it will work in landscape as well as portrait mode - portrait widescreen makes for reeeeally tall skinny video
Works kinda like my gopro camera, wish I had my IP4 at Katemcy, coulda shot some cool vids while it was in its mount!

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.

Last edited by venom; 07-08-2010 at 09:39 AM.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-09-2010, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuntz01 View Post
This is what I opted for Ram Mount to mount my iPhone when I want to. I just tuck it out of the way in the lower left corner of the windshield. I like it because it's a nice solid mount that will not move whether you're on the road or the trail AND you can change it the mounting position to pretty much anything you want.
That's a pretty sweet device. I was originally looking for something similar to that but in the end decided I did not want to mount anything on the windshield, especially since I'm using my iPhone for maps, music, charging it, using the aux, etc. (of course while not driving or at a full-stop). I haven't had any real problems with my set up, my phone has never popped out of the holder; my only gripe is the aux input, I still need to get the iPhone connector for my radio.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-27-2010, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Okay, there MAY be a solution to my iPhone connector vs. aux connection woes.

To re-cap, I wanted to connect a factory bluetooth to my stock RES radio. To eliminate the clutter I wanted to add a factory iPod connector to the RES so that I could charge my phone and play music at the same time without using the aux and the cigarette charger (eliminate the clutter and have to plug in only one chord).

Part numbers:
My RES radio - 05091113AC
My uConnect - 82211755AB
iPod chord - 82212000 ($37.50 from Jeep)

I am not sure if the chord will work because in the Jeep catalog it stated that it could only be connected in the RES that already come swith uConnect... Mine is just an RES without uConnect built into it, I just bought it and added it. Will it work? I don't know and neither did two other Jeep parts departments, so I'm giving it a shot. More to follow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode