OWL to Blackwalls, Miller Tire Paint - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 07-01-2010, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

OWL to Blackwalls, Miller Tire Paint

I recently upgrade tires from the stock BFG 32's to 305/70R17 GY MTR's with Kevlar (34's). I really wanted 35's, but that little bit of extra height would have forced a regear, and I don't really need that expense right now. The problem with the 34's though is that they only come in OWL. I prefer blackwalls.

I researched this on JKO and elsewhere and came up with a product called Miller Tire Black. Some said it worked, some said it didn't, but for $ 29 on E-Bay, it was worth a shot. So I ordered a bottle. Here's what I got.

Attachment 21217

The smallest amount you can get is a quart. I thoroughly cleaned the tires then applied it with a foam brush. It says to cut it by about 50% but I cut it by only about half that. It brushes on easily, but it will run or puddle if you get carried away. The puddles blend in after a day or two. I let the first coat dry for two days then applied a second. Then after three days of curing it got it's first bath. No issues. No white spots, no fading, the tires look like factory blackwalls.

My spare took about four weeks to show up, so I took pictures as I applied the first coat this afternoon. Here's the factory OWL.

Attachment 21218

Here's halfway through. Took maybe 30 seconds to coat one half of the letters. Note that it looks "wet." Then note the dry tire. After a few days it blends right in.

Attachment 21219

The here is a tire on the ground that was painted four weeks ago.

Attachment 21220

So far I'm pleased. I expect I'll rub some off and have to touch up from time to time, but with a quart I could paint a fleet of OWL's for years. Pretty good stuff so far.

Last edited by GunnersJK; 11-29-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Wheeler

Why not remount the tires on the rims with the white lettering facing inward towards the undercarriage? Most OWL tires have one side with black lettering. Its just a matter of reversing the tire on the rim. Eventually the paint is going to scrape off and it´ll look like hell.

2008 Rubicon 2 door 6.5" lift, 37" Swampers, RR narrow tube fenders, reinforced axles, long travel shocks, Rubicrawler 10.88:1, Allied Rockathon Beadlocks, AEV snorkel, Warn winch, purejeep rocker guard, stubby tire carrier, plus a ton of other mods.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-02-2010, 12:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSDPV View Post
Why not remount the tires on the rims with the white lettering facing inward towards the undercarriage? Most OWL tires have one side with black lettering. Its just a matter of reversing the tire on the rim. Eventually the paint is going to scrape off and it´ll look like hell.
Because there is an intended way to mount the new MTR's based on the tread...

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, project-jk, jeep JK, JK wrangler, JK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
Maybe we should all post the thing? He prolly won't ban us all. You go first Dave
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode