Safari Straps & Off Road Heros Soft Top - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 06-28-2010, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Hemo
Safari Straps & Off Road Heros Soft Top

Hello everyone,

I have been enamored with Safari Straps since I first encountered them. I could see the benefit of using them and I thought they really helped the Jeep look "badass" that I saw. I decided I wanted them on my new Detonator Yellow 2008 Rubicon Unlimited (aka RumbleBee). I also became sold on the Off Road Heros soft top. It makes Jeep look very cool by following the angle of the rear roll bar down to the tailgate. It doesn't use bow bars like a standard soft top. It is another piece that I wanted on my 08 JK. Unfortunately there is a potential snag. Safari Straps require the use of a tailgate bar while Off Road Heros tells you to not use a tailgate bar. After asking Maral, at Safari Straps, tons of questions and doing the same with Tim at Off Road Heros I decided to just take a chance and order them both in the hopes I could make them work together.

1) Here is a picture of what the rear of the Safari Straps Long Cage Set setup looks like.

2) Here is a shot from the inside of RumbleBee looking out the rear once the Safari Straps are installed.

3) This is a shot of the rear of the Jeep with the Long Cage Extended Set and Window Set of Safari Straps installed.

4) Here is a shot with the cool looking Off Road Heros soft top fully installed.

5) This is a shot from the inside of RumbleBee looking out the rear once the Safari Straps and Off Road Hero soft top are both installed.

6) Normally the Off Road Heros soft top attaches to the tailgate by way of velcro. This makes it very smooth but also means you must unvelcro the bottom rear of the top any time you wish to open the tailgate.

7) Here is a shot where you can see that I have attached the Off Road Hero soft top to a Tailgate Bar. I did this to enable the Safari Straps to be mounted correctly as well as allow me to open the tailgate in the usual manner.

8) This is a shot with the tailgate open and you can see how the Off Road Heros top has been velcroed to the tailgate bar and still works great.

9) Here I have flipped up the rear window to allow you to see the velcro I attached to the tailgate bar.

10) This provides you a closer look at the velcro running along the bar as well as the Safari Straps hooks that secure the straps to the tailgate bar.

2008 Rubi Unltd • RR Roll Cage - Limb Risers - Evap Skid - Diff Covers • PolyPerf HD Ball Joints • Reid Hi Steer Knuckles • RK 3.5" Triple Threat PRO Longarm • Rebel F & R Coil Overs • sPod Mini • Shrockworks Rock Sliders - Rear Bumper w/ Tire Swing • Xenon Flat Flares • ORO Onboard Air • BD Dual Battery • 5.13 Gears • 35" BFG KM2s • Warn VR12000 Winch • Safari Straps Everything • Tuffy Security Drawer •

Last edited by Hemo; 06-28-2010 at 06:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-28-2010, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

11) Here I am simply providing a very close shot which shows the velcro running across the tailgate bar.

12) This final shot shows the rear Safari Straps storage set. I removed my previous Add-A-Trunk to put this on. I think it looks cooler and it allows me to put my Jeep subwoofer back in.

I hope this helps you all realize that the awesome Safari Straps work great with the Off Road Heros soft top. This also means it is possible to use Safari Straps with the Bestop Trek soft top that looks similar to the Off Road Heros top.

Enjoy!

Hemo

2008 Rubi Unltd • RR Roll Cage - Limb Risers - Evap Skid - Diff Covers • PolyPerf HD Ball Joints • Reid Hi Steer Knuckles • RK 3.5" Triple Threat PRO Longarm • Rebel F & R Coil Overs • sPod Mini • Shrockworks Rock Sliders - Rear Bumper w/ Tire Swing • Xenon Flat Flares • ORO Onboard Air • BD Dual Battery • 5.13 Gears • 35" BFG KM2s • Warn VR12000 Winch • Safari Straps Everything • Tuffy Security Drawer •
post #3 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 07:05 AM
Wheeler

Very detailed!
I'm lovin' the Giant Rumble Bee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 07:52 AM
Granite Guru

Garage
Thumbs up

Hemo,

I have a ORH Whisper top on order (2 months) and according to Tim it is being shipped.

Can you tell me which tailgate bar you used? I like the idea of the velcro being attached to the bar instead of the tailgate. I don't want to have to keep undoing the velcro everytime I open the tailgate.

Thanks
JJ
post #5 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 08:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice detailed writeup. I have the Safari Straps as well. I am currently using velcro on the tailgate for my Heros top. With all of the rain we get in WA I am concerned about leaks. I need to find a good waterproof way to use the Mopar tailgate bar I have sitting in the storage room.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 08:17 AM
Rock God

Garage

thats sweet man

2008 BLACK Unlimited Sahara
Poly Performance 3"on 35" Xterrains and 15" Soft 8s, Front Pro Rock 44, FLW Front Prerunner, FLW Rear Bumper, FLW Rock Sliders, River Raider Gen2 Snorkel, Superior 5.13s,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

post #7 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 09:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Looks great! I've been looking at the ORH top for a while now, but wont give up my Safari Straps. glad to see that they work well together.
As far as the cargo cover, I LOVE mine! great addition to the Safari Straps line!
post #8 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 11:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice.
post #9 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Obtaining The Mopar Tailgate Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbooth View Post
Hemo,

I have a ORH Whisper top on order (2 months) and according to Tim it is being shipped.

Can you tell me which tailgate bar you used? I like the idea of the velcro being attached to the bar instead of the tailgate. I don't want to have to keep undoing the velcro everytime I open the tailgate.

Thanks
JJ
JJ, I ordered the Mopar Tailgate Bar through Wyckoff Parts. I did it through that other maker JK forum site. I found out later there is also someone here on JKO that provides access to all Mopar parts. Make sure you also get the Tailgate Bar with the left & right brackets. The brackets are cool. They just snap onto the edge of the body tub on either side of the tailgate. No screws no muss, no fuss.

HERE ARE THE MOPAR PART NUMBERS....

Tailgate Bar 55395757AC $60.39
Left Retainer Clip 55395761AE $6.65
Right Retainer Clip 55395760AE $6.65

If you want to order from Wyckoff's web site you can use the link directly below and punch in the part number listed above.

http://www.partswebsite.com/wyckoffmopar/

Let me know if you need any additional information.

Roger "Hemo" Kasten

post #10 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Looks great! I've been looking at the ORH top for a while now, but wont give up my Safari Straps. glad to see that they work well together.
As far as the cargo cover, I LOVE mine! great addition to the Safari Straps line!

Hey Joker and everyone else. Thanks for the nice comments. I really appreciate your feedback. My JK is a labor of love. I did everything humanly possible to my wife's YJ. I finally ran out of things to do to it and decided I wanted a new JK to work on.

When I bought my JK someone said it looked like a big bumblebee. I immediately replied that it wasn't a bumblebee, it is a RUMBLEBEE. I immediately started looking for a cool image of a muscular bee. I kept thinking of making a sticker somewhat like the old Dodge SuperBee logo. I stumbled across the image of the bee with the muscled arms and immediately liked it. A buddy at work then added the circle around it and flowed the text into the bottom of it. I loved the result and immediately had two door sized magnets made. I also obtained a custom license plate that says "RUMBLBEE". I know... a little hokey but I really like it.

I LOVE my Safari Straps and I LOVE my ORH tops. I am thrilled they are able to work together. We have had some torential downpours lately and I have yet to notice a leak anywhere. I feel pretty good about the slight tailgate mod to the ORH top.

Thanks again for the nice feedback.

Roger "Hemo" Kasten

post #11 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 04:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice looking setup!!

I already have the ORH.. the Safari Straps are on the list!
post #12 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Thanks for the info on the bar....I will post a pic of my whisper top as soon as I get it....ordered top on May 12th, hopefully it should be here soon.

JJ
post #13 of 15 Old 07-05-2010, 05:15 AM
Rock God

Garage

Nice! I have both on order and this will help out a lot!

JKOutcast
post #14 of 15 Old 07-07-2010, 09:52 PM
Wheeler

I just got the new whisper top. Should I get the Mopar tailgate bar or the bestop tailgate bar? Does anyone know which one will work better with the top and/or safari straps? Thanks guys.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Wheeler

Anybody???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode