Write up - $20 Quick Release Fire Extiguisher Mount - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 06-27-2010, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Write up - $20 Quick Release Fire Extiguisher Mount

Parts List:
4lb Kidde Refillable Fire Extinguisher - Metal nozzle
4' Aluminum Angle
2 - 1/4-20 x 1" bolts
2 - 1/4-20 nylon lock nut
2 - 3"-5" band clamp
2 - 5"-7" band clamp
1 - 3/8" ball lock pin
4 - 1/4" lock washers

Cut 3 pieces of the aluminum angle 8" long. (it just looked like the right length)

Drill a 1/4" hole 1" from each end. Bolt the two pieces together using (EDIT) two 1/4" lock washers in the middle. Next, drill a 3/8" hole 3" from one end.

This next part you're going to have to free hand. I used a demel tool with a cutoff wheel. I drilled small holes to make the radius at the end and then cleaned it up with the wheel.

Put the pieces together and mark the hole for the 3/8" pin and drill it.

I didn't have a good way to slice a 1/2" slot into the aluminum angle so I drilled 1/8" holes and then used the dremel cut-off wheel to knock out the middle and clean it up the best that I could . Not pretty but it worked

CONTINUED ON NEXT PAGE (farking 10 image limit)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles

Last edited by BigMike; 06-28-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-27-2010, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Finished Product. Hope y'all like it. It took me about 90 minutes to make.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #3 of 18 Old 06-27-2010, 05:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice job Mike. Looks great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 06-27-2010, 06:23 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

great invention!

U.S. Army
post #5 of 18 Old 06-27-2010, 06:32 PM
JKO Addict!

looks awesome! don't see why it wouldn't hold up either. i like it!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #6 of 18 Old 06-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Rock God

That's pretty good work, but does it' cost $40? I didn't think so.

I just paid $40 for the same thing from Poly, so there.

Nice job man.

Mike 2010 Rubicon 2DR | RK 3.5 X FACTOR MID ARM | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #7 of 18 Old 06-27-2010, 07:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

very nicely done!

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

post #8 of 18 Old 06-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Looks good. You should get some tube webbing and run the hose clamps through webbing before installing them. That would hide the hose clamps.

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #9 of 18 Old 06-27-2010, 09:55 PM
Rock God

Not trying to hijack but for $20/22 I would get this:

http://www.safaristraps.com/shop?pag...category_id=29

post #10 of 18 Old 06-27-2010, 09:59 PM

No offense to Safari Straps, but I like this invention better. Pull one pin and off it comes for use rather than fumbling with velcro straps to take off or put back.

U.S. Army
post #11 of 18 Old 06-27-2010, 10:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCCotton View Post
Not trying to hijack but for $20/22 I would get this:
That hold his 10 pound fire extinguisher?? The quick release is faster as well.

I think my only concern with his setup is the two hose clamps on the roll bar side. I'd imagine with the weight and vibration of that 10lbr moving around, they may give. But I'm not sure how much they'll really hold up to.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 06-27-2010 at 10:09 PM.
post #12 of 18 Old 06-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXROCK View Post
No offense to Safari Straps, but I like this invention better. Pull one pin and off it comes for use rather than fumbling with velcro straps to take off or put back.
The beauty of Jeeping....everyone has their preferences!
I love ingenuity of BigMike's project I just don't have the patience to do it myself sometimes!

post #13 of 18 Old 06-27-2010, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Innovative design & decent execution given the tools you had to work with. I like what Corey suggested- but more than just for looks. Inserting a couple lengths of rubber tubing around the bands would keep the bands from eventually tearing into the roll-cage material.

I also agree that this type of design would be slightly quicker to remove (especially in a panic), than fumbling with the strap method. Maybe by only a few seconds, but seconds count when something or someone is burning.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #14 of 18 Old 06-28-2010, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks for the comments. Great suggestion on the tubing guys, I'll give it a shot.

This one is a 4lb. bottle.

I pretty much copied the Poly design. I was going to order it but I wanted it today. Plus the best price I saw was $65.

I like the Safari Straps but I wanted something immediate in an emergency. That is why I made it so it would drop down when the pin is pulling instead of the other way around.

I also have a $18 bottle (read: cheap) FE that I'm mounting to the passenger side seat down low.

, Granite,
post #15 of 18 Old 06-28-2010, 02:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice and resourceful. Looks good and strong.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #16 of 18 Old 06-28-2010, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks John.

I rotated and lowered the bottle a little this morning. Also added an important sticker to it.

I'm going to make a modification tonight. Since the nylon spacer between the two aluminum pieces on the receiver are a 1/4", and the single aluminum angle on the bottle is 1/8", there is a little slop. I'll remove the spacers tonight and cut each one down to 3/16". That should give it a perfect fit.

, Granite,

Last edited by BigMike; 06-28-2010 at 07:05 AM.
post #17 of 18 Old 06-28-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCCotton View Post
The beauty of Jeeping....everyone has their preferences!
I love ingenuity of BigMike's project I just don't have the patience to do it myself sometimes!
absolutely....there are so many different solutions out there to accomodate personal interest on how to build a Jeep the way someone wants it. Jeep individuality is great!

U.S. Army
post #18 of 18 Old 06-28-2010, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

When I got home from work, I removed the mount and took it apart. I replaced the nylon spacers with lock washers (1/4" ID is 1/2" OD). The nylon spacers were 1/4" and the bar on the FE was only 1/8" making it a bit sloppy.

Well, two 1/4" lock washers are about 9/64" which gave me a nice and snug fit but the FE still drops right out of the receiver. It is exactly how I envision it fitting now. I'll post some pictures soon.

, Granite,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode