JK aux fuel tank- The Long Ranger - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 06-25-2010, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

JK aux fuel tank- The Long Ranger

New here, but perhaps some will recognize me from other forums. Anyways, I just finished up installing a Long Ranger auxiliary fuel tank in a 2007 JK (actually, it's an EarthRoamer XV-JP... but same difference, right?), and thought I'd share it with you all. I posted the full writeup over on Expedition Portal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-25-2010, 10:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Welcome WTHIJ, nice write-up. Would you be interested in posting it here as well?

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #3 of 19 Old 06-28-2010, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Sure... here's the install writeup and pics:

The JK 4-door is a pretty cool rig. Make it a Rubicon, and it's even better. Make that Rubicon an XV-JP Earth Roamer and the coolness factor pretty much skyrockets. Whatever the model though, there's a common issue amongst these vehicles, and that is the potential range.

So what does one do to increase a vehicles range? For the most part, the options for JK owners are pretty limited- either carry around a bunch of fuel cans, order a GenRight and cut out your muffler, or wish you lived in Australia, where you could pick up a Long Ranger.

The long and the short of it is, that carrying around a bunch of fuel cans just wouldn't work for the application that I'm working on, nor would removing the exhaust be an option- after all, this vehicle is not just an off-road rig, and needs to be very drivable on the street too.

Below is the solution that I came up with. After being told that there is absolutely no warranty, nor is there any guarantee that it will fit, and, after a couple months of waiting for a container from down under... The Long Ranger TA64P:

For those of you who are curious, here's what the contents of the package look like:

After many emails with the manufacturer, I decided that it "should" fit into a USA-spec vehicle. However, according to both the manufacturer and ARB, this is apparently the first time anyone has attempted this install in a USA-spec JK, so it may or may not be a typical installation... nobody really knows for sure.

Come to think of it though, this can't be a typical install... if for no other reason than the tank is being fitted to an EarthRoamer XV-JP. There will need to be some modifications made to the undercarriage before the tank will even fit in the spot that it's made for on its Aussie brethren. First things first, will be to remove the EarthRoamer skid-plate:

The challenge here, is that underneath the skid-plate is where the two group 31 auxiliary batteries reside:

These will obviously need to be relocated, but there are space limitations on this vehicle which will likely make things somewhat interesting.

I'll post up more info and pics as I progress towards and through this project- likely next week.

Last edited by WhereTheHellIsJames?; 06-30-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 06-28-2010, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

...and the followup

Good news for those who are wondering if a Long Ranger auxiliary fuel tank will fit in a U.S.A. spec JK 4-door... oh yes, like a glove.

It was a long day of work on the XV-JP today. First was the task of uninstalling the auxiliary batteries to make room for the new Long Ranger fuel tank that will be taking up the space where the batteries currently live:

For what it's worth, here's a pic of the storage compartment under the floor in the rear of the EarthRoamer. This is where I intend to put the two group 31 auxiliary batteries- if I can somehow make them fit:

I measured and remeasured this space a couple of times, and I think that if I cut out the floor, cut out the box, fab up a new box about 1/2" deeper, 1" wider, and about 2" longer, not to mention square instead of rounded corners, they'll be a perfect fit. I'll model it up before any cutting though... just to make sure.

Installation of the Long Ranger fuel tank required 4 holes do be drilled through two different chassis cross-members, 2 holes in each. The first hole is required so that a heat shield can be placed to protect the fuel tank from the hot exhaust pipe. Here's a pic of the heat shield in place, batteries out of the way, and the area cleared for installation of the fuel tank:

There are a couple of ways that the installation steps can be altered to break up the work a bit, so that all of your time isn't spent under the truck. One of the steps is to install a breather for the Long Ranger tank. This requires one to cut the factory breather tube, place a little metal fitting to fill the section that you cut out, then attach it all with hose clamps. Sounds easy, right? Well it would be if there was any other way to access this thing. The only access though, is through the left rear taillight hole, and it's difficult to fit both arms in there to do the work. Here's the finished product of that step, looking forward through the taillight hole:

The tank requires a bit of servicing and build-up before it gets installed. The first thing that I did was to thoroughly vacuum out the tank. It was pretty clean in there, but there were a few metal shavings (I suspect from fabrication) in there, so I'm glad I took the time to take this precaution. A bit of time spent in prep is a lot easier than changing out a damaged fuel pump.

Before the tank is mounted, the installer need to add a couple of things- the fuel gauge sender unit, a breather hose between the two high points of the tank, the filler hose to the main tank, and the fuel pump:

The next big step is to test fit the tank. It's hard to maneuver it in there, especially by one's self, and a floor jack came in quite handy. Once the tank is in place, the next step is to drill more holes through the cross-members to mount it, 1 in the front, and 2 in the rear. It's important that the holes are in the correct location, otherwise there may be some driveline interference when you're flexed. Tip: you'll need a very long 3/8" drill bit for the rear right hole.

Once the holes are drilled, you get to practice your skills as a contortionist. This was my least favorite part of the install- you're all crossed up, then your neck, arm, whatever, gets tired, then cramps up and causes you to drop a nut that you were trying to place right into a cutout of the cross-member. Then the whole thing comes out, you retrieve the nut, and start over. meh. As a side note- if you're planning this install, be it known that there's no room for mechanics gloves, and you'll probably cut up your hands really nicely. If your day job is being a hand model or something, you'll probably want to have this tank professionally installed.

Anyways, here's what it'll look like when you *finally* get the thing in:

After you finally get this thing all bolted up, you feel pretty good- it's in! then you remember that you still have some plumbing to do, not to mention that you still have to relocate the emissions goodies. Actually, the emissions goodies are supposed to be relocated prior to final installation. I believe that on a typical JK 4-door that this option would be the best route to go. However, because of several factors of what;s under the EarthRoamer, I though it to be best to save that step until after the tank was in. Hopefully I don't kick myself for this later! Here's the rear of the tank prior to finishing up the plumbing:

A lousy shot, I know, but it was the end of a long day. I'll get some more pics up later this week when I finish the plumbing and emissions goodies re-installation and relocation.

Last edited by WhereTheHellIsJames?; 06-30-2010 at 11:43 AM.
post #5 of 19 Old 06-28-2010, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

FYI-

Good news! I finished the plumbing and took the vehicle for a test drive... no lights, no codes. Apparently this tank does work in a U.S. spec JK.

*sigh of relief*

Note: FWIW, this was not an 'easy' job. It takes time, a lot more than you'd think. Also, there are a couple of specialty tools that will make the job a LOT easier, and I'd suggest taking on the project only if you are confident in your skills, and have good facilities to do this type of work in. I spanned the project over two days (1 full, and 1 partial), but feel that I could now probably do this install in one day after having this first one under my belt.

Last edited by WhereTheHellIsJames?; 06-28-2010 at 12:59 AM.
post #6 of 19 Old 06-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Wheeler

Very nice work. How thick is the aux tank? Will it need a skid plate if you take it one the rocks or is it good as is?
post #7 of 19 Old 06-28-2010, 02:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

awesome! will other companies skid systems work with this?

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

post #8 of 19 Old 06-28-2010, 06:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice setup, how about some more pics of the earthroamer...
post #9 of 19 Old 06-28-2010, 07:41 PM
Rock God

Garage

Nice installation, thanks for taking the time to do the write-up.

My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to 99˘ a can. That's almost $7.00 in dog money.
post #10 of 19 Old 06-28-2010, 08:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porter View Post
Very nice work. How thick is the aux tank? Will it need a skid plate if you take it one the rocks or is it good as is?
As a Jeep owner you are naturally adventurous. The
4 door wrangler is now capable of some serious
outback touring. The Longranger Auxiliary tank
extends the capabilities of the vehicle, allowing
you to explore every track. An 80% increase in
fuel capacity safely carried under the vehicle,
brings the total capacity to 153lt.

In keeping with jeep’s off road qualities the standard
ramp over angle is maintained. A complete new
38mm filler replaces the standard 26mm OEM
unit for improved filling. A new dash mounted
LED switch/gauge provides the user with
the option to transfer fuel at the push of a button when
required, while displaying available fuel in the Auxiliary tank.

Features:

68lt capacity
Easy fitting, supplied with complete fitting kit
and detailed instructions.
3 Year warranty.
2mm Aluminium coated steel construction.
Full internal baffling.
Maintains good departure angle.
No exhaust modifications required.
The safest alternative for fuel storage.
A new HI-Flow 38mm filler supplied in kit.
Fully Mig welded and pressure tested.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

Last edited by maverick; 06-28-2010 at 08:08 PM.
post #11 of 19 Old 06-29-2010, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porter View Post
Will it need a skid plate if you take it one the rocks or is it good as is?
I'd suggest a skid plate below this tank if you plan on doing any driving where there is a good chance that the tank could be struck by a hard object.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:. View Post
awesome! will other companies skid systems work with this?
I haven't seen one that will.

I was hoping that the EarthRoamer skid plate could be bolted right back on to the Jeep after I installed the fuel tank, but the tank hangs about +/- 3/4" lower that the battery carrier that the skid plate was designed to protect (with zero clearance), so I'll need to build a custom skid plate for this XV-JP.
post #12 of 19 Old 06-30-2010, 12:43 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MannyLx450

The best info ever found.

Thanks for share We just recive the LongRanger tank yesterday to test it also

Manny

Your Rigid Industries Source

PH: 754-201-58-48
post #13 of 19 Old 06-30-2010, 05:18 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick View Post
As a Jeep owner you are naturally adventurous. The
4 door wrangler is now capable of some serious
outback touring. The Longranger Auxiliary tank
extends the capabilities of the vehicle, allowing
you to explore every track. An 80% increase in
fuel capacity safely carried under the vehicle,
brings the total capacity to 153lt.

In keeping with jeep’s off road qualities the standard
ramp over angle is maintained. A complete new
38mm filler replaces the standard 26mm OEM
unit for improved filling. A new dash mounted
LED switch/gauge provides the user with
the option to transfer fuel at the push of a button when
required, while displaying available fuel in the Auxiliary tank.

Features:

68lt capacity
Easy fitting, supplied with complete fitting kit
and detailed instructions.
3 Year warranty.
2mm Aluminium coated steel construction.
Full internal baffling.
Maintains good departure angle.
No exhaust modifications required.
The safest alternative for fuel storage.
A new HI-Flow 38mm filler supplied in kit.
Fully Mig welded and pressure tested.
What they don't mention is that you CAN order them with a second, thicker skin on the base of the tank for people who think they'll be doing anything other than touring.

I was going to get one for my diesel but its range is good enough as is and also the JK isn't built well enough to be a proper tourer - so weekend adventurer it remains!

ex: RHD JK 2dr CRD auto
now: RHD JK 2dr Rubicon 3.8 6spd
post #14 of 19 Old 07-01-2010, 05:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDTom View Post
What they don't mention is that you CAN order them with a second, thicker skin on the base of the tank for people who think they'll be doing anything other than touring.

I was going to get one for my diesel but its range is good enough as is and also the JK isn't built well enough to be a proper tourer - so weekend adventurer it remains!
Thanks! How thick is that thicker skin?

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

post #15 of 19 Old 07-01-2010, 06:02 AM
ADDICTION II build begins....

In case anyone is interested, here is the website for the Long Ranger:

http://www.thelongranger.com.au/4wdfueltanks.html

U.S. Army
post #16 of 19 Old 07-01-2010, 02:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDTom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick View Post
Thanks! How thick is that thicker skin?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyLx450 View Post
Long Ranger Available Now with Miami 4x4 Offroad

Call us for more INFO.

Manny
So... How thick is the second skin?

post #17 of 19 Old 07-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Granite Guru

4mm plate steel was what I remember.

These tanks are made by "Out of Town 4x4" in Australia.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/member.php?u=12726 This is Rick - he is one of the production guys.

I would say the guys at Miami 4x4 need to get in touch with him and arrange for the the beefed up tanks for you fellas.

If you like rocks though I'd say it'd be a bad idea to get the aux tank. I reckon you'd be better off scrapping the OEM tank and fitting a custom tank which is leveled off at the bottom of the chassis rails and split it up between each side of the vehicle. Would work well to redistribute weight, achieve a higher fuel capacity and increase ground clearance. Possibly not cheap though.

ex: RHD JK 2dr CRD auto
now: RHD JK 2dr Rubicon 3.8 6spd

Last edited by CRDTom; 07-01-2010 at 08:19 PM.
post #18 of 19 Old 09-30-2011, 06:36 PM
Granite Guru

Where can I buy this in the states??
post #19 of 19 Old 10-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

judging by previous post... miami 4x4

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode