Wiring a 3rd Brake Light w/ Swingout - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-18-2010, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Wiring a 3rd Brake Light w/ Swingout

This is a simple extension of wires. I have rerouted and protected them from the environs.

Anyone who has a swing out tire carrier knows the frustrations of the 3rd brake light wiring. I installed the LoD Shorty with all the goodies including the 3rd brake light bracket, but the wiring is one thing that was not mentioned in the install. Here’s my fix and maybe it will help someone else.

Difficulty:
1 out of 5 wrenches
1 hour

Tools:
Drill
3/16” bit
Phillips Screw Driver
Electrical Wire

Parts:
12’-˝” Wire Loom
30’- 16ga Wire
4- 16ga Butt connecters
4- Heat shrink tubes
4-wiring Clamps
10- Zip ties
Electrical Tape
Black Silicone

*Disconnect the battery when working with anything electrical on your JK.*

-Remove the 2 plastic trim pieces on the tailgate.
The long horizontal one has snap tabs on the bottom, and hooks reaching up, so pull the bottom straight out.
The vertical one has snap tabs on the inner side and hooks on the outside, so pull from the center line of the jeep first and swing it out towards the driver’s taillight.

-Remove the grommet holding the wiring to the 3rd brake light.
You can cut the wiring off on both sides of this grommet.
Apply a small dab of black silicone to both sides of the grommet and set aside for drying.

-Remove the factory mesh wrapped around the wiring to the 3rd brake light.
Set aside this will be reused.

-From inside the tailgate’s large hole
Note the color coding of your wiring (#1-black, #2-white w/orange strip).
The 2010 JK’s have a diode that give the 3rd brake light a triple flash when applied. I like this function and kept the diode in place. In the photo below you want to connect to the far upper left wiring, which was trimmed at the tailgate grommet

-Connect 15’ of wire to each of the connections inside the tailgate.
I used heat shrink butt connectors and covered them in heat shrink.
Note which wire is which if running the same color wiring, simply placing black tape on both ends of the same piece of wire will help. Running different color wiring will help even more, but is not necessary if you mark the wires.

-Run the wiring following the factory wiring across the tailgate to the passenger side.
I reused the factory mesh fromt the 3rd brake light as protection along the rear tailgate. Loosely zip tie the wiring to the factory zipties.

-Pull up the carpet on the passenger side upper fender. Here you will expose a grommet. Punch 2 holes through the grommet, remove grommet, and run a wire though each hole.

-Under the passenger side fender is a hunk of foam. Push up, twist, and pull out. Note the orientation for reinstall. This area will expose the inner fender well and the wiring will run down though that to a small hole in the bottom of the fender. Pull the wiring through the small hole.

-Run the wiring under the fender directly to the hinge point of your tire carrier.

RUBI / 37" Grappler's / 3.5 RK X / 5.38's
RockKrawler : PoisonSpyder : RCV :LOD : Iggee : sPOD : Nitto : WARN : Yukon : Rock Hard : Tatton : PolyPerformance
REBEL OFFROAD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-18-2010, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

-Next look at how your wiring will run across your tire carrier.
With the LoD it made sense to follow the bottom and then head straight up the 3rd brake light extension bracket. This is where you will decide how and where to clamp the wiring to fit your application. I ensured that as my tires are upgraded and the 3rd brakelight extended that I had enough wire to fit those 37's!

-Trim the wiring you just ran to fit the desired routing along your swing out.
I staggered the wiring/butt connectors to ensure the wire loom would fit nicely.

-Connect the new wiring to the factory wiring coming from the 3rd brake light.
Use heat shrink butt connectors and heat shrink tubes.

-Install wire loom along 3 different portions of unprotected wire.
Wrap ends of loom with electrical tape.
-1st is in the tailgate (larger vertical hole) to the factory reused mesh.
-2nd extended from tailgate hinge point through carpet and to the grommet in the fender.
-3rd is from deep inside the fender to the 3rd brake light. You will need to feed the loom through the small hole up to the grommet then to the brake light.

-Now that the wire is ran and protected from rubbing and the elements, it is time to secure it.

-Install 4 wire clamps along the swing out.
I used self tapping screws on the bottom portion of the LoD and small bolts with nuts along the vertical riser. I used a zip tie at the hinge to ensure the movement of the wireloom is going to work.

Check wire lengths.
Ensure that the 2 pivot points (inside tailgate and swingout hinge) are not too excessive. If you have excess the place to 'store' it is in the fender.

Replace the factory plastic covers on tailgate.
This is opposite of how they were removed.

Reinstall large grommet in tailgate

Reconnect battery

Check to see if the 3rd brakelight is operational.

Enjoy your swingout tire carrier as it should!

RUBI / 37" Grappler's / 3.5 RK X / 5.38's
RockKrawler : PoisonSpyder : RCV :LOD : Iggee : sPOD : Nitto : WARN : Yukon : Rock Hard : Tatton : PolyPerformance
REBEL OFFROAD
post #3 of 8 Old 06-19-2010, 06:44 AM
Granite Guru

Nice write up, thank you!

Mikey

08 4 door Rubicon, RE 4.5" Long arm lift, Hutchinson Rock Monster Wheels and 37" M16's, Banks exhaust, AFE, Hypertech, Superior 5:13 gears, JE Reel 1350 drivshafts, Fabfour bumpers and rock slider, Tuffy, interior Line-Xed, Warn, Poly Performance, IPF, Lightforce, Hella fogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-22-2010, 08:49 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Oh man, thanks for this write up and the great pics! I boutht the AEV 3rd light that bolts on under the spare on the swingout. But I didn't come up with a clean way to rewire it so I tossed the thing in the tool box. Now I can do the project with this as a guide

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Hemo
Excellent Write Up

You've saved us all a lot of time and hassle. You have documented a very clean way to do this. I will use it when I install my Shrockworks rear bumper with tire carrier.

Hemo

2008 Rubi Unltd RR Roll Cage - Limb Risers - Evap Skid - Diff Covers PolyPerf HD Ball Joints Reid Hi Steer Knuckles RK 3.5" Triple Threat PRO Longarm Rebel F & R Coil Overs sPod Mini Shrockworks Rock Sliders - Rear Bumper w/ Tire Swing Xenon Flat Flares ORO Onboard Air BD Dual Battery 5.13 Gears 35" BFG KM2s Warn VR12000 Winch Safari Straps Everything Tuffy Security Drawer
post #6 of 8 Old 02-21-2011, 08:45 AM
Wheeler

Super write up! I am using this info to install the 3rd brake light on a Hyline swing out tire carrier. I sawed of the factory light at the base (aluminium) drilled and bolted it to the tire mount with enough room for 35's. If needed can add a spacer to the light for more room if needed in future.

Your wiring instructions are what I needed! thanks!!

jp
post #7 of 8 Old 04-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Granite Guru

Why go all the way across the tailgate to tie into the circuit? The same wires are already present on top of the fender, just tap into them there and you won't have to run the wires all the way back across the tailgate.

Alternately, since you no longer need those wire in the tailgate, pull them out of the tailgate loom and re-use them for your run to you tire carrier.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-09-2011, 05:49 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I tapped into the wires of my tow harness and just tucked the wire for the original light into the tailgate.
I also added directionals to mt third brake light.

07 Rubi rescue Green
"The previous explanation is based on my historically bad memory of a conglomeration of past experiences and conversations. The opinions above probably have some kernel of truth to them but the details are most likely flawed on some level. Please acquire further help from experts before listening to anything I say."

Last edited by insanitize; 04-09-2011 at 05:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode