10,000 Mile Oil Change test. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 06-18-2010, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

10,000 Mile Oil Change test.

10,000 mile test results
5w- 30 Royal Purple / Purolator PureOne PL20195 (Long Filter) Purolator PureONE Oil Filters are 99.9% Efficient*
What does 99.9% efficiency mean? It means that 99.9% of all contaminants that pass through a PureONE oil filter are captured in the media. Even microscopic particles get trapped in PureONE's exclusive Micronic media, saving your engine from damage.

Amsoil Web site:Filters are measured by their "beta" rating. This is not a universal standard, but is simply stated as the smallest particle size that will be removed 98% efficient with one pass of the oil through the filter. Particles smaller will take more passes or will not be removed from the oil at all, and larger particles are removed from the oil flow 100% of the time. Most full flow filters, depending on quality (and reflected in price), will remove contaminants at this "beta" efficiency that are larger than between 25 and 45 microns. This is usually sufficient to give reasonable useful life to the filter and the engine's critical main and rod bearings. The tolerances on these main and rod bearings can be anywhere from two to four thousandths of an inch (0.002 to 0.004"). Considering that the crank is centered in the bearing journal, that means the thickness of the oil that lubricates and supports the rotation of the crank is between one and two thousandths. One thousandth of an inch equates to 25 microns, so a better quality full flow filter will do a good job protecting your rod and main bearings from normal wear.Where the problem comes in is in other critical tolerances, such as the cam lobe to lifter, ring clearance to the cylinder wall, or the valve train components. These areas can be as small as 5 microns. These clearances are only the thickness of the lubricants between the metal components. Fully 60% of wear in an engine occurs in these areas as a result of contaminants that are larger than 5 microns, but too small for the 25 micron full flow filter to remove and hold out of the system.

Test Run: I Change My Oil, Run it 3500 miles Change the Filter And top off my oil level with new oil. I then repeat this process again at 7000 miles, New Filter add necessary oil to bring oil level back to full. Then at 10,000 I do a full oil change Drain Change filter and refill Crankcase.

Collection: I let about a quart drain out then collected a sample of oil (½ quart) and ran it through the Lab. Here are the results. I may do an Oil change at 3500 mile to compare result to 10,000 mile oil change.

6-17-10 Analysis Commits: No Ferrous Material was indicated @ 0.000 ppm. No H2O Contamination was indicated @ 0.0000%. >2 micron particle count was slightly elevated @ 52,337 ppm (ISO Code 23). >5 micron count slightly elevated @ 8.143 ppm (ISO Code20). > 15 micron count very “Low” @27 ppm (ISO Code 12). Miscopy revealed light non-metallic contamination (most likely Carbon). A lack of any metallic particles was noted. A trace amount of clear Fibrous material was observed (Likely from oil Filter Element).
Visual Comments: Sample appeared Dark & semi-opeaque Only a trace amount of sediment was observed. Patch test ran clear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Wheeler

Wink

You might get more replies over at BITOG.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-14-2010, 09:50 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to Squirrel Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb123 View Post
10,000 mile test results
5w- 30 Royal Purple / Purolator PureOne PL20195 (Long Filter) Purolator PureONE Oil Filters are 99.9% Efficient*
What does 99.9% efficiency mean? It means that 99.9% of all contaminants that pass through a PureONE oil filter are captured in the media. Even microscopic particles get trapped in PureONE's exclusive Micronic media, saving your engine from damage.

Amsoil Web site:Filters are measured by their "beta" rating. This is not a universal standard, but is simply stated as the smallest particle size that will be removed 98% efficient with one pass of the oil through the filter. Particles smaller will take more passes or will not be removed from the oil at all, and larger particles are removed from the oil flow 100% of the time. Most full flow filters, depending on quality (and reflected in price), will remove contaminants at this "beta" efficiency that are larger than between 25 and 45 microns. This is usually sufficient to give reasonable useful life to the filter and the engine's critical main and rod bearings. The tolerances on these main and rod bearings can be anywhere from two to four thousandths of an inch (0.002 to 0.004"). Considering that the crank is centered in the bearing journal, that means the thickness of the oil that lubricates and supports the rotation of the crank is between one and two thousandths. One thousandth of an inch equates to 25 microns, so a better quality full flow filter will do a good job protecting your rod and main bearings from normal wear.Where the problem comes in is in other critical tolerances, such as the cam lobe to lifter, ring clearance to the cylinder wall, or the valve train components. These areas can be as small as 5 microns. These clearances are only the thickness of the lubricants between the metal components. Fully 60% of wear in an engine occurs in these areas as a result of contaminants that are larger than 5 microns, but too small for the 25 micron full flow filter to remove and hold out of the system.

Test Run: I Change My Oil, Run it 3500 miles Change the Filter And top off my oil level with new oil. I then repeat this process again at 7000 miles, New Filter add necessary oil to bring oil level back to full. Then at 10,000 I do a full oil change Drain Change filter and refill Crankcase.

Collection: I let about a quart drain out then collected a sample of oil (½ quart) and ran it through the Lab. Here are the results. I may do an Oil change at 3500 mile to compare result to 10,000 mile oil change.

6-17-10 Analysis Commits: No Ferrous Material was indicated @ 0.000 ppm. No H2O Contamination was indicated @ 0.0000%. >2 micron particle count was slightly elevated @ 52,337 ppm (ISO Code 23). >5 micron count slightly elevated @ 8.143 ppm (ISO Code20). > 15 micron count very “Low” @27 ppm (ISO Code 12). Miscopy revealed light non-metallic contamination (most likely Carbon). A lack of any metallic particles was noted. A trace amount of clear Fibrous material was observed (Likely from oil Filter Element).
Visual Comments: Sample appeared Dark & semi-opeaque Only a trace amount of sediment was observed. Patch test ran clear.
Huh?

2013 Commando Green Sport S
TF 2.5", RK Control Arms, Gobi Stealth Rack, Level 8 Tracker Pro on 35's, TruckLite LEDs, TrailDash
-Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-14-2010, 11:22 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel Killer View Post
Huh?
He ran RP for 10,000 miles with only filter changes and top offs and the oil came back fine.

Most synthetics should have no problem going 7500-10000 between changes.

2007 Rescue Green 2-door
A few mods here and there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode