RIPP Long Tube Headers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 Old 06-11-2010, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

RIPP Long Tube Headers

Are the shit

For one my set might not work as well as other kits due to the lack of stickers that didn't come with the kit. thats ok I guess.
I have never installed headers that went in as smooth as these and I didn't look at the directions until it came time for the wiring.

My main reason for the purchase

out with the junk

Good time to replace the trans crossmember, I picked this one up in the Home Depot parking lot

I am easily frustrated with things in my way so if your like me here is an alternative to using a jack to support the trans while the crossmember is out. Just run a ratchet strap from the gas tank skid over to the frame rail remove the nuts on the trans mount and tighten the strap until it takes the load off the crossmember.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 06-11-2010, 10:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice.

I used the strap method once. I had the tranny bolts on my CJ-5 come loose on the highway and had to use a logging chain around the body to keep the tranny off the gournd until I could get somewhere to fix it.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #3 of 52 Old 06-11-2010, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I do have to add that I recommend moving the drivers side rear O2 sensor wire under the heat shield that is attached to the floor. Just remove the nut that is located just above the O2 sensor stick a wrench or screw driver between the floor and heat shield to make room for the wire plug. Push the wire through and put the nut back on.

The rest is simple remove the junk install the good. I am very pleased with the install and the jeep runs very smooth at idle (kind of high but the ECM will fix that soon) When you hit the throttle the RPM's climb quicker and the motor just sounds like it is breathing easier. I will drive it tomorrow and see what the EGT runs. I have been watching the EGT this past week so I could compare. Holy shit the EGT is high with the old restrictive (4) cats cruising at 65 EGT is 1760 B1S1 if I was hard in the throttle EGT 1890 - 1900 thats fucking hot.

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 Old 06-11-2010, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Oh install took about 4 hrs, that me having to stop to help the kids and other bullshit.

Another note: I seriously doubt the Rock Krawler trany pan will work with this kit. I would love to buy it so I could try it but thats a lot of $$ if it doesn't work. So maybe RK will get a set of these headers and try it out or RIPP will get a pan, if someone does try it out please let me know.

|
|

Last edited by bodyguy; 06-11-2010 at 10:34 PM.
post #5 of 52 Old 06-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Openly Hostile

Those things look beautiful.
post #6 of 52 Old 06-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to kerryp Send a message via Skype™ to kerryp
RIPP Long Tube Headers

Very cool.

ジープ
@CigarsNJeeps
post #7 of 52 Old 06-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Rock God

Garage

Have you had a chance to drive it and see how much better it is?

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
post #8 of 52 Old 06-12-2010, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Yes I drove it earlier this morning, the throttle response is much better in the 2000rpm range (not so sluggish). My EGT's are down about 100 degrees on average the highest temp I saw was 1850 something and cruising at 65 temp was 1700. I had the battery disconnected so I dont have a good average yet but it looks like fuel economy is going to be better. I do need to get a new muffler, the flowmaster super 44 sounds like a 11 year old boy screaming. Basically it sounds like ass under full throttle, almost like a baffle is broken inside the muffler. I am trimming the Rock Hard engine skid at the moment to clear the crosspipe. pics in a bit.

|
|
post #9 of 52 Old 06-12-2010, 10:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Great write up. I would love to hear how they are on the road after the ecm gets used to them.
post #10 of 52 Old 06-12-2010, 11:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguy View Post

Oh install took about 4 hrs, that me having to stop to help the kids and other bullshit.

Another note: I seriously doubt the Rock Krawler trany pan will work with this kit. I would love to buy it so I could try it but thats a lot of $$ if it doesn't work. So maybe RK will get a set of these headers and try it out or RIPP will get a pan, if someone does try it out please let me know.
I don't think you'll have a problem with the RK pan, on the stock set up it's built around the stock pipe, unless the RIPP is a bit bigger..

Note: isn't RK running this setup in the victim.

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!

Last edited by andrelopez99; 06-12-2010 at 12:00 PM.
post #11 of 52 Old 06-12-2010, 04:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Would like to hear the difference. I also can not wait to see the MPG difference.

post #12 of 52 Old 06-12-2010, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

You will have to trim the rock hard engine skid for clearance and use the supplied spacers between the skids and crossmember
I cut about an inch and a half off of both sides

|
|
post #13 of 52 Old 06-12-2010, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrelopez99 View Post
I don't think you'll have a problem with the RK pan, on the stock set up it's built around the stock pipe, unless the RIPP is a bit bigger..

Note: isn't RK running this setup in the victim.
Not sure about RK using this kit and yes the center pipe is larger

|
|
post #14 of 52 Old 06-12-2010, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d'sjk View Post
Would like to hear the difference. I also can not wait to see the MPG difference.
I'm gonna order a three chamber flowmaster and hopefully it wont sound as bad as it does now under full throttle.

|
|
post #15 of 52 Old 06-12-2010, 05:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Arrow

Quote:
You will have to trim the rock hard engine skid for clearance and use the supplied spacers between the skids and crossmember
I cut about an inch and a half off of both sides

Is the clearance on this pic. (Center pipe and skid)

That's setup is looking clean, Joe.

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
post #16 of 52 Old 06-12-2010, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrelopez99 View Post
Is the clearance on this pic. (Center pipe and skid)

That's setup is looking clean, Joe.
Yes about a 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch and thats about a 1/4 to 3/8 of and inch more than it use to have

|
|
post #17 of 52 Old 06-14-2010, 12:31 AM
Rock God

Very nice.

2008 X 2-door, 35" Duratacs, Clayton Long-arm, geared and locked

2012 Rubi 2-door, 37" Nittos, Method Beadlocks, JKS Suspension, JCR everything
post #18 of 52 Old 06-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to RIPPMODS

Quote:
I'm gonna order a three chamber flowmaster and hopefully it wont sound as bad as it does now under full throttle.
Great write up - very informative - can't thank you enough for the order, time and effort...

The flowmaster still sounds a little ricy in the mid range - but - bad ass at off idle through part throttle - the MBRP DDR muffler we have on our website was specifically made to tame our headers down and have the correct balance between - bad ass and sain...

MBRP DDR
YouTube - RIPP JK Header Sound
post #19 of 52 Old 06-14-2010, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPPMODS View Post
Great write up - very informative - can't thank you enough for the order, time and effort...

The flowmaster still sounds a little ricy in the mid range - but - bad ass at off idle through part throttle - the MBRP DDR muffler we have on our website was specifically made to tame our headers down and have the correct balance between - bad ass and sain...

MBRP DDR
YouTube - RIPP JK Header Sound
Yeah I ordered one from you today. I'm afraid to get on it when traffic is around, hopefully that muffler shows up quick.

|
|
post #20 of 52 Old 06-15-2010, 04:19 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Yeah I ordered one from you today. I'm afraid to get on it when traffic is around, hopefully that muffler shows up quick.
lol - good move - we know what you mean - thats why we've offered the options - with flow comes sound and its all coming from the drivers side bank - if you take a close look its nearly an uninterupted shot right from the cylinder hread to the exhaust tip...

The muffler installs quickly - right off our merge collector and clamp to the stock exhaust - the best place is in the middle of the jeep... you can use it as a resinator or a main muffler. In our video its a main and only muffler.

RIPPTECH
post #21 of 52 Old 06-15-2010, 05:21 AM
Rock God

Garage

Nice install! Will be looking forward to long-term results.

2007 Redrock X two door
Auto
Hardtop
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers
post #22 of 52 Old 06-15-2010, 05:21 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPPMODS View Post
Does sound great at idle! Still really good with some revs as well.

2007 Redrock X two door
Auto
Hardtop
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers
post #23 of 52 Old 06-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man View Post
Does sound great at idle! Still really good with some revs as well.
Yea, straight through the RPM band you can maintain a bluetooth conversation - it sounds really good - we think this is the most balanced sounding muffler... another real nice option is the Hushpower by flow master, you can add that to the existing exhaust or run it as a single -

YouTube - RIPP JK Long Tube Headers DYNO 35in Tires Auto

this is a hush power inline with a magnaflow cat back - it actually is real quiet - and sounds better than stock.

RIPPTECH
post #24 of 52 Old 06-15-2010, 02:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Looks awesome and I have a cracked exhaust manifold too. Just a little too rich for my blood. Looks nice though.
post #25 of 52 Old 06-15-2010, 08:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Waiting for your seat-of-the-pants REPORT.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode