River Raider EVAP Skip BOX - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 06-05-2010, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
River Raider EVAP Skip BOX

If the title seemed odd because I didn't say "skid plate" there's a reason. Just short of backing up and piercing your EVAP from the back side, the RR skid box is just that a box. It's nearly completely encases the EVAP protecting it from bottom, frontal, and either side from impacts.

It's shipped as raw metal so you are free to finish it however you see fit. I chose to use some of the Dupli-color Spray-on Bed Liner. I gave the entire thing a good coat inside and out including the 3 brackets. These were done a few days ago, the finish has had plenty of time to set and cure to max strength.

Regardless of what kind of finish you chose, if you should find the threads on the brackets have been coated as well, you can simply run a tap through them as I did. The middle bracket (uses the allen screws) requires a 5/16NC18 tap, while the two other brackets using the larger 3/4 bolts require a 1/2NC13 tap.

First the removal, disconnect all three connection on the rear of the EVAP, unfortunately I didn't think to snap any pics but none of them are that difficult to disconnect (for more details refer to this write-up by Redcat as well). Next using a 16mm socket, remove all 3 bolts holding the EVAP and it's mounting plate to the frame. SAVE THE BOLTS, YOU WILL REUSE THEM

Next using a flat screwdriver, simply bend the small tap up that locks the mounting plate to the EVAP and slide the plate back and remove from EVAP.

Now drop the EVAP in the RR box, I recommend you favor the rear of the box and not centering the EVAP within the box, I centered it the first time and found one of the 3 connection was short and had to adjust the canister. Once you have it where you want it secure it using the provided bracket. It is the one with only the end holes. To ensure a tight fit, I used a rubber mallet to tap the bracket down tight against the canister and finished tightening the allen screws.

Now here I deviated from RR's instruction just a bit, but found my way much easier. Next mount the front bracket to the frame, its the one with the 2 factory bolts - tighten completely. Now loosely bolt the rear bracket to the box not the frame.

Now lift the box into place and loosely bolt the front of the box to the front bracket. Now with the front two bolts supporting the weight, you can make any fine adjustments to the rear bracket to ensure both brackets are square to one another. One you have the rear of the box where it needs to be , secure it to the frame with the remaining OEM bolt.

Once both brackets are tight to the frame, you simply tighten all four bolts to secure the box to the brackets using a 3/4" wrench. and finish up by reconnecting all three canister connection.

Total install time:15-30 minutes with another 30 in paint and post-prep work (screw taps)

Super simple and great fit...oh yea and mine came with this great hand drawn pic...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Loki646; 09-01-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Rock God

nice job need to get one.

2010 2 door sport, 6 speed,Dark Charcoal Pearl
post #3 of 3 Old 04-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Just received my RR evap skid box. Great installation write up. Thanks Loki.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode