Xenon Fender Installation Write-Up - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-04-2010, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Post Xenon Fender Installation Write-Up

Xenon Installation Write Up: Part #1

The following write-up IS NOT MINE, and I can't seem to find the original online. If someone locates it let me know and I'll give credit.

Although the original write-up isn't mine, I have contributed a lot of extra instructions and modified photo's. Hope this helps.

The Xenon Kit Arrives!!!!!

Tools Needed:

It's important to note the following:

1. Absent from the photo are the zip ties & a drill bit to drill the holes for the zip ties. The size of the drill bit will depend on the size zip ties you use.
Also missing from the photo is something to mark the cut lines with. I used a normal pen, but a soapstone or Sharpie Permanent Marker is probably a better choice.
2. The 25/64" Drill bit is not your run of the mill size. I had to go out and buy one, even though I have several drill bit kits.
3. The safety glasses are a must for the Dremel cutting as hot melting plastic gets spun all over the place.
4. Although there isn't much heavy wrenching for this project gloves are a good idea, and they only help if you remember to wear them.

….Continued in Part #2

2008 JK X 2dr. Std. Blk
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-04-2010, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Post Part #2

Xenon Installation Write Up: Part #2

Front Fender Installation

Step 1 - Loosen the inner fender liner. There are just a handful of bolts and a few snaps as you can tell from the second pic. Then the liner will almost come out. (see Pic #1 & 2)

Pic #1

Pic #2

Step 2 - The liner will hang down enough to allow you to unplug the turn signal lamp. There are also the bolts shown in the pic that you need to remove as well. (see Pic #3 & 4)

Pic #3

Pic #4

Step 3 - Once those are out the whole assembly will lift off*. You will have to tug at it to break** the little clips that hold it on. You will have to remove all of them from the fender for the installation of the new flares. (see Pic #5 & 6)

* Off, actually refers to being lifted up. See Diagram #3 located in step 10. I believe that ALL of the spots on the front fender are slotted (unlike the rear). I'm not 100% sure...
let me know so I can update this section :yup:

** If you pull UP on the fender it will leave all of the clips attached to the body. Pinch them from behind with a pair of needle nose pliers and pull them out from the front. I broke most of them off before I realized they could be removed easily. Either way their not needed.

Pic #5

Pic #6

Step 4 - Now with the flare assembly off* the Jeep it's easier to work on. We have to reuse the inner fender liner, so it has to be separated from the flare. The only problem is the style rivets that Jeep used to attach the inner liner. We just broke them since we were not using them again. (see Pic #7 & 8)

* When I removed all the bolts, push pins etc, my fender was actually in 3 pieces (see Pic #8b). Either way it doesn't matter. :yup:

Pic #7

Pic #8

Pic #8b

….Continued in Part #3

2008 JK X 2dr. Std. Blk
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-04-2010, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Part #3

Xenon Installation Write Up: Part #3

Step 5 - Now you have to reinstall the inner liner back on the Jeep*. Any part that sticks out will need to be marked and cut off. (see Pic #9 & 10)

* To do this use 2 bolts from the removal stage (with the large washers included in the kit), plus the large black plug/screw (shown in the top of Pic #2)

Pic #9

Pic #10

Step 6 - This is the look that you are working toward. Once you've got a clean line, it's time to more to the lights and get it assembled. (see Pic #11, 12 and Diagram 1)

Pic #11

Pic #12

Diagram 1

Note: The rest of the light wires are around 16 gauge and the Jeep wires are probably even smaller, say 18 gauge. If I was to do this again I'd probably use 16 gauge wire to keep the sizes all around the same size, which makes fitting them together easier. I also chose not to use the quick connects provided, opting for weather proof connectors for a better seal.

Step 7 - We had to add a ground wire to our light to get it to work. This also made the install easier as we just had to hook up the two wires without figuring out which was power and which was ground. It's also time to hold the flare up there and start installing the bolts. Start at one end and work your way around. That way the flare can stretch and conform to the Jeep as the bolts are started. (see Pic #13 ,14 & Diagram 2)

Pic #13

Pic #14

Diagram 2

Note: this is how I chose to hook it up.... either way works fine.

….Continued in Part #4

2008 JK X 2dr. Std. Blk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-04-2010, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Part #4

Xenon Installation Write Up: Part #4

Step 8 - Once you have them all started, tighten them down. Now it's time to crimp (or solder) the two turn signal wires to the existing wires. (see Diagram 3 & 4, and Pic #15 & 16)

Diagram 3

Note: Temporarily twist the wires together and turn the key to start and turn the lights on and make sure they work.

Diagram 4

Pic #15

Pic #16

Step 9 - Once you've got the light attached, test and make sure it works before you go any further. If you know it does then put some wire loom on it. Then all that's left is to attach the inner fender liner*. Finished. (see Pic #17 & 18)

* To attach the "Inner Fender Liner", which I like to refer to as the Dirt Guard, you will need to reuse 2 of the bolts from the removal stage, as well as the large black Plug/screw (shown in the top of Pic #2). Beyond this you will need 4 zip ties (or 2 very long ones) to secure 2 additional spots of the Dirt Guard. I wasn't able to use a single push Pin (6 shown in Pic #2) for the front, as there is simply nowhere to attach them. Do not fear though; using the above mentioned bolts/ties is plenty to hold it in place securely :yup: (See Diagram #5 and #6 for the zip tie locations)

Also... Thanks to PlanMan, we have a YouTube - Video 11 that shows all the places the dirt guard is secured. Thanks PlanMan!

Diagram #5 (Zip Tie Location: Close to Front Bumper)

Diagram #6 (Zip Tie Location: Close to Door Frame)

Pic #17

Pic #18

CONGRATS..... You're finished with the front.

….Continued in Part #5

2008 JK X 2dr. Std. Blk
post #5 of 11 Old 06-04-2010, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Part #5

Xenon Installation Write Up: Part #5

Rear Fender Installation

Step 10 - Now lets move to the back of the Jeep. It's the same steps, just a lot easier. There's a few snaps* in the fender wells. Then give the flare a slight tug up and it'll come right off. (see Pic #19 & 20)

* The "snaps" or clips (shown in Pic #6) are all slotted with the exception of the front corner (closest to the bumper). What this means is that you will need to remove this one clip first, before tugging up on the fender to remove it. (See Diagram #7)

Diagram #7

Pic #19

Pic #20

Step 11 - Here's the whole thing out and one the ground. Jeep used those new rivets on the back as well. So get them off anyway you can. When you do, hold it up to the jeep and mark anything that sticks out. (see Pic #21 & 22)

Pic #21

Pic #22

Step 12 - Next it's time to trim the excess off and you should be careful to leave the two frog eyes on top of the liner. These allow it to be bolted back to the jeep. (see Pic #23 & 24)

Pic #23

Pic #24

Step 13 - Since there's really no way to bolt anything to the back of this Jeep, Xenon provides this little tool. You use it to install the nut serts into the fender well. (see Pic #25 & 26)

Pic #25

Pic #26

….Continued in Part #6

2008 JK X 2dr. Std. Blk
post #6 of 11 Old 06-04-2010, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Post Part #6

Xenon Installation Write Up: Part #6

Step 14 - Once you've got all of the new inserts installed, hold the flare up and bolt it down. Then the only thing left is to reinstall the modified inner fender liner. (see Pic #27 & 28)

Pic #27

Pic #28

Finished* Project Pics

* - I was shorted 2 nut serts so I have to remove one of the rear Xenon's to complete the install
So for now I haven't installed the rear dirt guards. I also have to install the side markers and paint all the bolts..... but I'm almost done.

Final Thoughts:

1. The instructions provided by Xenon suck arse.
2. The product is designed well and fits very well.
3. Installation time will hopefully be shorter for you. I split the install into 2 separate sessions.... Front & Rear, which I would recommend. BUT.... hopefully your installation will be much smoother due to this write-up
4. Now that the installation is complete I extremely pleased.
5. The reason I choose to go the Xenon route is b/c I'm aiming to have a capable offroad Jeep with a lower center of gravity. This kit combined with a 2.5" Coil lift and a stubby bumper is enough room to comfortably run 35's

If you find any errors, or believe something should be added to this write-up, please let me know so I can edit/change/update the thread.... Thanks

2008 JK X 2dr. Std. Blk
post #7 of 11 Old 06-04-2010, 06:37 AM
Rock God

Great job!

post #8 of 11 Old 06-04-2010, 07:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Good job Bry, see they changed the wire colors...mine was wierd, from the light white was ground and black was hot, opposite from the OEM wiring. Called Doc Xenon was supposed to fix his directions, not sure if he ever did
post #9 of 11 Old 06-04-2010, 07:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Good writeup..

More advice...... throw away the POS little riv nut tool and get a real one. Your will need it more than you know and more than just for Xenons.

post #10 of 11 Old 06-04-2010, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
Good writeup..

More advice...... throw away the POS little riv nut tool and get a real one. Your will need it more than you know and more than just for Xenons.
Thanks for the compliment & the advice. One of these days I'll end up upgrading to tube fenders.... and I'll upgrade the riv nut tool as well

2008 JK X 2dr. Std. Blk
post #11 of 11 Old 02-15-2012, 06:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryGuy View Post
Xenon Installation Write Up: Part #6

Step 14 - Once you've got all of the new inserts installed, hold the flare up and bolt it down. Then the only thing left is to reinstall the modified inner fender liner. (see Pic #27 & 28)

Pic #27

Pic #28

Finished* Project Pics

* - I was shorted 2 nut serts so I have to remove one of the rear Xenon's to complete the install
So for now I haven't installed the rear dirt guards. I also have to install the side markers and paint all the bolts..... but I'm almost done.

Final Thoughts:

1. The instructions provided by Xenon suck arse.
2. The product is designed well and fits very well.
3. Installation time will hopefully be shorter for you. I split the install into 2 separate sessions.... Front & Rear, which I would recommend. BUT.... hopefully your installation will be much smoother due to this write-up
4. Now that the installation is complete I extremely pleased.
5. The reason I choose to go the Xenon route is b/c I'm aiming to have a capable offroad Jeep with a lower center of gravity. This kit combined with a 2.5" Coil lift and a stubby bumper is enough room to comfortably run 35's

If you find any errors, or believe something should be added to this write-up, please let me know so I can edit/change/update the thread.... Thanks
Resurrecting this one for a moment, looking at the rear flares on the black two door vs the rear ones on the yellow unlimited, somewhere along the line Xenon has changed the inner rear flare design. You can see by comparing teh two photos that the earlier flare covered all the outer wheel house sheet metal we see uner the flare in the later install. The earlier design is much more pleasing and functional.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode