Key Actuator Pin fix - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-13-2016, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Key Actuator Pin fix

First, a bit of a back story. I pull my key out, jeep dies (as it should), I open my door (drivers' side, as it will be), and the key-in-ignition door chime goes off. It doesn't shut up for anything. Very annoying. So while replacing the heater core (an EASY TASK, fit for any DO-IT-YOURSELFER with a LARGE GARAGE and a PhD in MECHANICAL ENGINEERING), I decided to fix this too. As there are no write-ups for fixing it, here is my feeble attempt.

Proud owner of a 4-door Wrangler my daughter has named, without hesitation, "Tiffany."
Quote:
BenFoo: "English MFer, do you speak it?!?!"
USN JFK CV-67
USA 2-149th AVN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-13-2016, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

First, remove the shroud around the steering column. T20 Torx underneath the wheel and three screws later you're in. You'll see this on the left side:
Attached Images

Proud owner of a 4-door Wrangler my daughter has named, without hesitation, "Tiffany."
Quote:
USN JFK CV-67
USA 2-149th AVN
post #3 of 5 Old 01-13-2016, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

This is the actuator housing. Removing it is a pain in the d!(( requiring security bits (t2 hole bit) as well as another T20 Torx. Once it's disconnected and opened up, you'll see this:
Attached Images

Quote:
USN JFK CV-67
USA 2-149th AVN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-13-2016, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

See, what happens when you push the key in is this: a spring-actuated pin is struck by the tip of your key. This pin then pushes two copper contact bars located on the left side of your wheel (see above oversized photo) together, resulting in an electrical circuit being completed. The problem is that this spring either breaks or sticks or gets out of track and the pin no longer gets pushed back into its housing when you extract your key, resulting in a continuous electrical connection. The result is a ding which will drive you mad with madness, and not the fireshot madness either (reference Slightly Stoopid for details. You're welcome). So my fix, as photographed above, is to wrap one of the connectors with electrical tape and break the connection. The real fix is a key actuator pin housing replacement (pn 5057296AJ, now replaced with a different pn from mopar website), BUT.....this tape trick works. My keyless entry works, panic button (wgaf) works, no key-in-ignition ding, all is good with the world.

Quote:
USN JFK CV-67
USA 2-149th AVN
post #5 of 5 Old 07-11-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two ton anchor View Post
See, what happens when you push the key in is this: a spring-actuated pin is struck by the tip of your key. This pin then pushes two copper contact bars located on the left side of your wheel (see above oversized photo) together, resulting in an electrical circuit being completed. The problem is that this spring either breaks or sticks or gets out of track and the pin no longer gets pushed back into its housing when you extract your key, resulting in a continuous electrical connection. The result is a ding which will drive you mad with madness, and not the fireshot madness either (reference Slightly Stoopid for details. You're welcome). So my fix, as photographed above, is to wrap one of the connectors with electrical tape and break the connection. The real fix is a key actuator pin housing replacement (pn 5057296AJ, now replaced with a different pn from mopar website), BUT.....this tape trick works. My keyless entry works, panic button (wgaf) works, no key-in-ignition ding, all is good with the world.
How did you remove this housing? I have a 2008 jeep rubicon that my husband is struggling with as well. We can't find any screws to remove other than what looks like some rivets that are holding the housing together. We already replaced the ignition switch but now trying to get to the ignition actuator that sits between the lock cylinder and the ignition switch but there seems to be this housing that's in the way of actually getting to the parts themselves. any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode