Woods/Dominion Off Road/Jeep Swag OnBoard Air System - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 06-02-2010, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Woods/Dominion Off Road/Jeep Swag OnBoard Air System

I’ve been looking for an on board air system specifically for the JK and I found it in Wood’s air system. He has developed a couple of brackets for the Viair compressor and air tanks. What impressed me was that tank and compressor both mount under the hood and can be operated from a remote switch in the jeep. I can now start filling my tank before I stop to air up. His compressor bracket comes with an air junction box that incorporates a relay with an automatic shutoff that will keep my tank filled at 145 psi.

I purchased the Viair 400C compressor, a two gallon Viair air tank, including both of Wood’s brackets, the fittings, steel air hose and quick disconnect and air hose. The only parts that I had to buy separately were; some wire and a 30 amp fuse protector to connect the compressor to the battery, a remote switch for inside the jeep, wire to connect the remote switch to a power source and to the Viair relay , as well as connectors for the wires. The relay and compressor come with fittings on their wires and I didn’t want to have to cut and solder the wires, (although you can do that as well) so I bought the appropriate connectors. I got all of these at a local electronics store for under $15. (I have since talked with Woods and he is looking into selling the fuses, wire and connectors from his website.)

The instructions were easy to understand and follow. I started by installing the Air tank and bracket. I suggest putting the fittings into the tank before installing the tank and bracket on to the JK. If not it takes some maneuvering to get some of the fittings in place and tightened. I then installed the compressor using Wood’s Bracket and air junction box. I also suggest tightening all of the fittings on the air junction box, before installation.

I then mounted the air hose quick disconnect to my JK. You can choose many different locations for the quick disconnect. I decided to use an existing hole on the frame rail bracket on the driver’s side. It is concealed and out of the way. I also didn’t want to have to drag my air hose over my hood or bumper when filling the tires. I can now reach all of the tires from that position. (Although I am thinking of adding a rear quick air source) I connected the air hose from the compressor to the tank and from the tank to the quick disconnect.

The next step was to tackle the electrical side of the installation. I first connected the black ground wires from the Viair relay and the compressor to the ground point on the chassis. (It is on the side of the engine compartment) I then spliced the 30 amp fuse into the wire I bought and then connected one end to the compressor using a matching fitting and the other end to the battery positive terminal. I then connected the compressor to the relay.

I found a cool spot for the inside remote switch that keeps it hidden. The switch I bought had a led light and the back side of the switch was threaded with a plastic nut. If you take off the bottom part of the dash just above the pedals (it just pulls off) the metal that holds the dash in place has a half circle gap in it that is perfect for the switch. I now just have to reach under the dash to turn the compressor on.

I removed the center consol (there are a few good videos on the internet that show how to do this) and spliced into the cigarette lighter power (and ground for the led light to work.) I ran a the spliced wire from the lighter to the switch and then from the switch to the Viair relay under the hood. I used fittings on the end of the wires, to easily connect to the switch. To access the engine compartment from the cabin, I took a long screwdriver and poked a hole in the foam filling located on the side of the dash (If you open the drivers door and take off the side panel – just pull- you will see where there is foam filling in the dash.) I then connected the wire to the Viair relay with a matching fitting.

The system works great and is perfect for the JK. Wood's kit is great. I definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a JK air system. Send me a PM if you have any questions!
Attached Images

Last edited by JetDriver; 06-02-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-02-2010, 04:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Good set up

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Rock God

Looks great! Have you filled up your tires with it yet? I'm wondering how many tires the tank will fill up before the pump needs turned back on.

What was the cost of the kit?

Last edited by axsys; 05-09-2011 at 12:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 06-03-2010, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

The tank will fill about half of one tire. It also acts as a buffer between fill tires. As soon as you start using air the compressor starts to fill it until it reaches around 150psi.

I talked with woods and he is working on a fill hose solution, that will fill four tires at once and allow you to air down quickly.

The cost is around $599.

post #5 of 17 Old 06-04-2010, 05:50 PM
JKowners Vendor

Thanks for the write-up JetDriver.

His kit at 600, is the top of the line with all the whistles and bells.

Basic kits without a compressor start at $99. This is the compressor bracket, compact air junction box, air junction box bracket, air safety valve, quick coupler and fittings.

Options are:
- 2 Gallon Air tank
- Front or Rear air relocation kits
- In-Cab switch and pressure gauge
Depending on how you do it, you may need the larger 8-port air junction box.

Woods Storage Tub Enlargement Kit - Steering Stabilizer Relocation Kit - Evap Can Relocation Kit Muffler Relocation Kit - Tailgate Shock Kit
Buy Woods Kits at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 Old 06-04-2010, 05:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods View Post
Thanks for the write-up JetDriver.

His kit at 600, is the top of the line with all the whistles and bells.

Basic kits without a compressor start at $99. This is the compressor bracket, compact air junction box, air junction box bracket, air safety valve, quick coupler and fittings.

Options are:
- 2 Gallon Air tank
- Front or Rear air relocation kits
- In-Cab switch and pressure gauge
Depending on how you do it, you may need the larger 8-port air junction box.

Woods, your compressor kits really blow!

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #7 of 17 Old 06-04-2010, 06:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

WOODS,

I have a ARB HO compressor, how does the 400C compare? That should be the next test.

I have an Spod, and ultimately want to go in the direction of having ARB locker f/r with an air system with the air rail and a coupler front and rear.

post #8 of 17 Old 06-04-2010, 08:09 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Woods, your compressor kits really blow!
Ha - only one "Ha" for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrelopez99 View Post
WOODS,

I have a ARB HO compressor, how does the 400C compare? That should be the next test.

I have an Spod, and ultimately want to go in the direction of having ARB locker f/r with an air system with the air rail and a coupler front and rear.
The ARB is very similar in spec to the 400c. I won't be testing it. Though the compressor is designed to work with the ARB, ARB had a lame attitude toward working with me o. This project. It's a good product but the price difference isn't justified.

The sPOD works great with this kit. It will make for a great system.

I'm working on a four way inflator / deflator solution. Get ready to sell your stauns. It will plug into the front quick coupler only. I'm finding the rear to be a pain in the rear (that's for you Oz).

Woods Storage Tub Enlargement Kit - Steering Stabilizer Relocation Kit - Evap Can Relocation Kit Muffler Relocation Kit - Tailgate Shock Kit
Buy Woods Kits at:
post #9 of 17 Old 06-04-2010, 10:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

The ARB is very similar in spec to the 400c. I won't be testing it. Though the compressor is designed to work with the ARB, ARB had a lame attitude toward working with me o. This project. It's a good product but the price difference isn't justified.

The sPOD works great with this kit. It will make for a great system.

I'm working on a four way inflator / deflator solution. Get ready to sell your stauns. It will plug into the front quick coupler only. I'm finding the rear to be a pain in the rear (that's for you Oz).
I understand that there is a difference in price. I can see the added benefits of an air tank and etc. Plainly I think it's cool product, WORTH the money.

post #10 of 17 Old 06-05-2010, 03:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Loooks great, my woods setup shipped yesterday and will be here to day i can wait to install it

www.jeepasylum.com
post #11 of 17 Old 06-05-2010, 12:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

I'm finding the rear to be a pain in the rear (that's for you Oz).
I deserve at least a haha.

I still haven't ordered that hose. But the compressor sure looks good sitting in my engine bay.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #12 of 17 Old 09-20-2010, 08:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

I know I'm resurrecting an older thread here... Was wondering how the OP is liking the setup after a few months of use? I'm looking at getting a tank and like the bracket and underhood option offered by woods. Anything you can add? Does the bracket pose any issues with accessing the oil filter?

post #13 of 17 Old 09-20-2010, 08:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramaniac View Post
I know I'm resurrecting an older thread here... Was wondering how the OP is liking the setup after a few months of use? I'm looking at getting a tank and like the bracket and underhood option offered by woods. Anything you can add? Does the bracket pose any issues with accessing the oil filter?
I can awnser a few of your questions. If you are running a stock sized filter you will have no intereferance issues. The complete set up is amazing and works great, i air my 37s up in no time.
post #14 of 17 Old 09-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
If you are running a stock sized filter you will have no intereferance issues.
Ditto that. Once I changed out my Fram extended guard to a standard-sized filter, the issues went away.

-WRM
post #15 of 17 Old 09-20-2010, 10:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
I can awnser a few of your questions. If you are running a stock sized filter you will have no intereferance issues. The complete set up is amazing and works great, i air my 37s up in no time.
I've been using the motorcraft FL400 which is a little longer than stock. I already have an ARB compressor mounted under the hood... Just looking to expand my system a bit

post #16 of 17 Old 08-01-2015, 10:29 PM

Dominion JK Wrangler Upgraded VIVAR 200 psi

I had one installed on my JK Wranger and the dealership told me that they would void my warranty if I did not take if off the vehicle. Odd that they told me it would be fine and changed their minds.

I upgraded the compressor to a VIVAR 480C and a 200 psi regulator. This was about two sizes larger than DOMINION OFFROAD listed. Airs up very fast!!! The upgrades were about $200 more but worth it...untill now.

I would be willing to sell the set up for $425. Everything you see in the pics. e-mail me at jeepinutah at aol dot com.
Attached Images

Last edited by jeepinutah; 08-01-2015 at 10:58 PM.
post #17 of 17 Old 08-02-2015, 09:33 AM
JKowners Vendor

Couple of issues here. The 480 is never recommended to install on our bracket. It's also much more expensive and much slower than the 400c (recommended compressor).

The dealership is blowing smoke up your skirt. The law clearly contradicts what the dealer is telling you. Get to know the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. It's your friend. We've sold thousands of brackets and this is the first time I've ever heard a claim such as this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinutah View Post
I had one installed on my JK Wranger and the dealership told me that they would void my warranty if I did not take if off the vehicle. Odd that they told me it would be fine and changed their minds.

I upgraded the compressor to a VIVAR 480C and a 200 psi regulator. This was about two sizes larger than DOMINION OFFROAD listed. Airs up very fast!!! The upgrades were about $200 more but worth it...untill now..

Buy Woods Kits at:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode