Rough Country Bumper Cap Install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-31-2010, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Rough Country Bumper Cap Install

Ok, this is my first attempt at a write up. Hopefully this turns out ok...

First, here is my Jeep with the stock bumper:

I picked up a bumper cover from a member here (thanks Don!) that had fog light cut outs. I planned on doing the standard bumper chop but Rough Country released their bumper cap kit (http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xtras_1047.html) and I thought that could save me a lot of time.

The kit includes two caps, 10 "Christmas tree" style plastic fasteners, and instructions. Pretty basic. The instructions say you can install the kit while the bumper is mounted or unmounted. Since the bumper I bought was sitting in the garage and I was waiting on the lights and harness to arrive, I went ahead and installed it while the bumper was off the Jeep.

First step is to mark the bumper 3.5" from the crush can protrusion and cut that portion off.

I found that at 3.5: you have to be very careful not to hit the nut inserts that are in the bumper cover. In the picture below I measured out 3.75" and cut there. On the other side I cut at 3.5" and hit one of the inserts.

BTW - I cut the bumper with this using a wood blade that was on the finer side of the wood blade spectrum:

Don't worry if you leave more than the recommended 3.5" of material on the bumper. There is plenty of clearance on the caps and they will actually butt up to the crush can portion of the bumper. On the end that I cut at 3.75" there was still at least a 1/2" of clearance between the bumper and the cap. Also, don't worry of your cuts are not straight - they are completely covered.

After cutting test fit the cap. The instructions say to place the cap, and use a 1/4" drill bit around it on the 5 holes using the cap at a a guide. I found that a 1/4" bit is a little too large and a 15/64" bit works better. The 15/64" bit will fit snugly in the existing cap holes where the 1/4" bit will not fit making it difficult to use the cap as a guide.

Hold or clamp the cap for the first two holes, then I found it easiest to use drill bits as pins in the existing holes to hold the caps exactly in place to drill the remaining holes:

Once all holes are drilled you can use the Christmas tree fasteners to hold the caps on:

Since this was done off the Jeep I didn't realize that the metal bumper under the cover also needs to be cut. This was a mild PITA since I already had the caps on I had to cut the metal bumper and finagle it into position working it in the cap on one side, then pushing it over and around the fog lights while trying to get the crush cans in place. I would recommend that you wait to put the caps on until the metal bumper is mounted inside the bumper cover. You can avoid a lot of frustration. Also once you cut the metal don't forget to spray a little Rustoleum or undercoat on the bare metal to help prevent rust.

Here is what is looks like completed:

The splash guard / air dam needs to be trimmed to fit with the caps, but as of right now I'm debating putting it back on. I like the looks of it off.

I have to get the flash done for the fogs to work, but other than that it's done. IMO, there are a few pros and cons to the kit:

Pros:
- I'm not the best at fabrication, so having a kit like this saves me a lot of headaches.
- I really like the Christmas tree fasteners. IMO I think they look a lot better than rivets. Time will tell how rugged they are and how well they hold up.
- Overall I love the looks.

Cons:
- $60 might be a little pricey for something like this, but then again for me it was worth it.
- I would like the caps to match the bumper a little bit better. I think it looks good but the real product is different than what you see on the website. RC should either represent this on their website or make the product to actually match the bumper as it does on the website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Wheeler

I'm at work right now...roomie just called and told me I got a box from Rough Country on da porch!!! Wonder what's in it!!!!??? lol........I'll be putting the caps on tomorrow morning when I get off, I chopped the bumper yesterday while doing my factory fender mod. I'll post pics when finished..................OH...YOURS LOOKS GREAT, GOOD JOB
post #3 of 6 Old 06-03-2010, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks! I bet yours will look really nice with your fenders chopped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

my install of these went easy too and then i sprayed some bed liner to match it in...here are some pics:

used:

its held up well

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #5 of 6 Old 06-22-2010, 08:40 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

That's a cool mod. Looks way better as a stuby.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #6 of 6 Old 06-23-2010, 09:01 AM
JKowners Vendor

glad you guy's liked them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode