River Raider Breather Extension Kit - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-29-2010, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
River Raider Breather Extension Kit

This write up is for a 4dr Automatic. The kit comes with everything you will need to tie both axles, transmission, and the transfer case all into the stock airbox using a central line that runs from the rear axle to the airbox.

Prep work is little more than screwing the white barb connectors into the threaded female part of the T-barb connectors. This is made easy utilizing a 15/16th deep socket.

Now starting with the stock breather hose from the block to the airbox; cut the hose and insert the triple barb connector. Now connect the 8ft section of hose to the remaining barb of the mentioned connector

Next drop the main line hose down through to the front axle. I ran mine to hug the passenger side of the frame. Next locate the front axle breather, it should be located behind the driver spring mount. Now run it over to the passenger side to tie it into the main line. Supplied with the kit is a small hose with a double barb connector to extended this hose if you feel you need to.

Now the PITA part of the job. The automatic transmission breather is located on the passenger side and runs halfway up between the firewall & the block. I found after the fact that the easiest way to access this area was through the passenger wheel well by pulling back the inner fender liner. Even then I finally had to give up trying to free the end of the hose completely from the ziptie holding it in place and instead cut the hose leaving about 2" hanging from the block. Next I used the small supplied hose that I mentioned above as an extension to reach the main line.

With that now done I moved to the Transfer Case; Though the breather connection on the case was easy to locate, getting it free of the ziptie again proved to be a PITA though not as bad as the transmission was. The end of this hose is located on the driver's side and again between the block and the firewall. Once you have this free run it over the transfer case to the main line and connect it.

Note: Nether of the above stock hose locations are easily seen from the top of the motor. You will have to feel for them.

Now with the hardest part behind me, I continued to run the main line along the frame rail via the top of the gas tank. Just in front of the rear wheel well I routed the hose to the middle of the Jeep and loosely tied it to the E-brake lines.

Now with the end of the mainline over the rear axle, I pulled the rear axle breather from its stock position and trimmed the hose of about 7". Leaving a loop for axle travel I attached the axle hose to the mainline.

With everything connected, I walked through the entire system checking for any contact with moving parts and/or high temp parts (i.e. Catalytic Converter).

Finally and most important.....I slapped my fancy little RR sticker on the Mule! Even with the troublesome Transmission hose and a brief rain shower the install took about an hour or two. Keep in mind that time is with out a lifted suspension or car ramps to elevate the Jeep at all so clearance with a creeper was at a minimum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Loki646; 05-30-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-02-2010, 06:32 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Great write up - this helped greatly with the install we did last night with the 'Smilin' Bob's Breather Hose Extension Kit' from River Raider. This was preformed on a 07 2 door Wrangler X with a six speed. It was fun, again thanks for your write up!

07 X 2 door
Red Rock Crystal

www.militaryjeepers.com
post #3 of 10 Old 09-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Rock God

Garage

thinking about getting this as well

4 door auto...this should prove to be very helpful

2008 BLACK Unlimited Sahara
Poly Performance 3"on 35" Xterrains and 15" Soft 8s, Front Pro Rock 44, FLW Front Prerunner, FLW Rear Bumper, FLW Rock Sliders, River Raider Gen2 Snorkel, Superior 5.13s,
and

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I just did mine the other day and the directions on it are very limited. I did the 2 axles and the transfer case and then I was thinking to myself why do I have an extra connection? thanks to the writer.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-01-2010, 05:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I took advantage of doing mine while I did the Poly Performance LA kit and RROR skids - it was on a lift and the gas tank was removed - not that it is necessary at all, all of this could have easily been done in the drive way on a creeper.

I had already installed the AEV snorkel and sealed the air box so I just tied the breathers into the air box:

I cleaned the area where the four holes are at in the air box, three are where it mounts under the hood and the fourth is a little drain hole. I added some silicone to each hole - followed it up with some more silicone (black first then clear... no reason other than it was what I had). The breather tubes are tied in where the little round filter is at, I had an extra one from my air tank compressor.

I also added some hose clamps to keep everything where it should be. TK suggested that I add a couple of clamps on the smaller of the two hoses that run from the air box to the motor.

You can see where the front breather hose ties in with the rest then they all go up to the bottom of the air box - I added a hose clamp to the hose that went into the air box - the others are plenty tight.

After sealing the air box start the motor and cover the air ram with a towel or something just enough to where you can hear any leaks in the air box - some shaving cream works well also...... mine was nice and tight. Should be ready for some water now.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-01-2010, 09:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Okay, with all of the other shit I'm doing, and the money I have invested in my axles, I'm getting this chit.

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #7 of 10 Old 04-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Just received my kit from RR. Thanks for the installation write up guys.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-21-2011, 08:59 PM

Just installed this. Thanks for the write up. The included instructions were horrible!
post #9 of 10 Old 08-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Granite Guru

Will be ordering this kit Friday ! From the looks of it all it does is tie all the breather tubes into 1 Main line that runs to the airbox? Correct me if I'm wrong I'm just trying to see exactly how this kit goes. Also every place where you tie in the stock lines with the main line provided in the kit, all your doing is cutting the line provided at that spot then attaching the triple barb connector to it and connecting the stock tube to the main line? Also are you able to silicone around where all the triple barbs are? Or are they sealed good enough as is? I'd probably want to silicone it as precaution any info is appreciated !
post #10 of 10 Old 10-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Rock God

Nice Write-Up!

RIVER RAIDER OFF-ROAD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode