Poison Spyder Crusher Corners - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 05-26-2010, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Poison Spyder Crusher Corners

Maybe your a JKO heavy hitter in California, your Jeep rocks (spelled MYGPRKS) and you are looking for a little armor to compliment your Frankenflare. Maybe you already fubar'd your quarter panel and you are looking for a way to hide your trail mistakes. Maybe your an underage internet badass that thinks the Crusher Corners would look sick on your moms 2wd JK and that they will protect it from runaway grocery carts at the local Piggly Wiggly!

Whatever your reason, the new Poison Spyder Crusher Corners enhance the look and protection of your JK. The JK sheetmetal is slightly thicker then double-ply tissue paper so the addition of a 1/8” steel corner is a welcome addition to those of us that may accidently bump into things out on the trails. Poison Spyder offers the corners in three different configurations..blank (no holes for lights), one hole for a 4” LED light, and the model I went with that has two holes, one for a 4” LED and a smaller 2 ˝” hole for a LED back-up light.

After you remove the stock taillights, the next step is to cut the two raised areas where the stock taillights screwed into the rear body. The corners are very flush to the body and if you don’t remove these two areas the corners won’t fit properly/or at least not as flush as designed.

Before:

After:

Don’t forget to paint the exposed metal where you made the cut. Now your ready to clamp the crusher corners to the body and start drilling holes for the nut-serts. Before you clamp the armor to the body, put some masking tape on the quarter where you could rub/scratch your paint. I have painted tube fenders so I also taped those.

At this point I deviated a little from the Poison Spyder directions. Instead of drilling all of the initial holes with the corners clamped to the body, I only drilled three holes (the upper hole closest to the rear door, the hole to the upper right of the gas cap and the upper hole next to the tailgate). Then I removed the clamps and corner, installed the nut-serts in these three holes only (after paint touch-up) and then re-installed the corner using these three nut-serts and one clamp in the taillight opening.

After all of the remaining holes were drilled, I then drilled the hole for the back-up lamp with the corner still on the Jeep/it helps as a guide, insures you cut the hole in the correct location and it is impossible for the drill to walk. Then the armor was removed, holes re-drilled to the proper size, paint touch up and the remaining nut-serts installed.

One last fitting before paint,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-26-2010, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I chose paint over powdercoat but I also have two paint booths at my disposal…

Final Install and LED hook-up….

For a little bling, I used 3M double-sided tape to put a 4”x 4” piece of black aluminum behind the Spyder logo. I also recommend getting the LED’s, especially the back-up LED’s, from Poison Spyder. I didn’t, and after getting multiple sets of the wrong lights from my local stores I gave up and called Brent at Poison Spyder. It is very difficult to find a 2.5” inch white LED that lights up white. I got multiple sets of white LED’s that light up red but for reverse lights you want white. Reason the back-up lamps are not in my install pics.

Another nice thing about the Poison Spyder Crusher Corners, other then the perfect fit, is that the MOPAR gas cap cover fits perfectly with the armor. I have installed two sets of other companies armor on JK’s and this was not possible without making mods or the use of an adhesive.

Here is a more recent picture with both lights installed…

Last edited by Moose512; 05-26-2010 at 03:13 PM.
post #3 of 25 Old 05-26-2010, 03:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Looks awesome man, I like the intro LOL

www.jeepasylum.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 05-26-2010, 03:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Wow, looks fantastic Moose. Looks like a very nice fit. Nice even seems around the fenders.
post #5 of 25 Old 05-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Pics with the Trasharoo papoose?

Those really do look nice- very clean looking install. The clear LED's really make it the corners look sick.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #6 of 25 Old 05-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Granite Guru

sweet jeep. that looks great

3.5" Rubicon Express lift
Bilstein 5100 Shocks
17x9 Mickey Thompson Classic II
35" Nitto Mud Grapplers
Smittybilt XRC Rear Bumper
Flowmaster 40 Series
48" Hi-Lift Jack
KC Slimlights long range
Rugged Ridge mirror relocation brackets
MasterCraft Grab Handles
post #7 of 25 Old 05-26-2010, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
Looks awesome man, I like the intro LOL
Thought you would get a kick out of that!
post #8 of 25 Old 05-26-2010, 07:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Very nice!!! Corners are on the short list.
post #9 of 25 Old 05-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Liquor

looks great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:

Magazine Feature:

post #10 of 25 Old 05-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

It does look great! I like how the armor follows the lines of the JK even near the soft top. Looked good in person at Jeep Beach.

When's the 2-door version coming?

post #11 of 25 Old 05-26-2010, 09:01 PM
Rock God

Garage

Very nice!! A friend showed me these on your website last weekend. On my list. Love the separate holes for reverse lights.
post #12 of 25 Old 05-26-2010, 10:30 PM
Wheeler

I have a dumb non painter question for you.....on your PSC tube fenders how do u get the cutout of the spider black? I understand how u did it on the crusher corners but I love the detail on the fender and was just curious how u did it
post #13 of 25 Old 05-27-2010, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandajk View Post
I have a dumb non painter question for you.....on your PSC tube fenders how do u get the cutout of the spider black? I understand how u did it on the crusher corners but I love the detail on the fender and was just curious how u did it
Ancient Chinese Secret!!

Ok, actually..the initial plan was to put down black mixed with a little clear and then wipe it off. The plan was that only the paint in the Spyder etching would remain.

Didn't work. The Spyder etching is very shallow so after the white basecoat and clearcoat was sprayed there was not enough depth and the black, at least 75% of it, came off.

Plan B...I called in a favor and had my pinstripe contact come out to the shop and he hand painted the four Spyders on each fender.
post #14 of 25 Old 05-27-2010, 08:11 AM
Wheeler

note to self get a pinstripe contact.....or some ancient chinese secret...either way it leads to a bad ass spider haha
post #15 of 25 Old 05-27-2010, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandajk View Post
note to self get a pinstripe contact.....or some ancient chinese secret...either way it leads to a bad ass spider haha
Or a fine hair paintbrush, some black paint, a steady hand and a lot of patience. I only have two out of the four!
post #16 of 25 Old 05-27-2010, 08:29 AM
Rock God

Looks great Moose!

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
post #17 of 25 Old 05-27-2010, 09:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

Looks awesome Brent! Welcome to the armor club!

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

post #18 of 25 Old 05-27-2010, 11:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Me Likey.
post #19 of 25 Old 05-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Rock God

Garage

They look great, especially the detail in the spider.

Damn glad you went with round LEDs.

My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to 99˘ a can. That's almost $7.00 in dog money.
post #20 of 25 Old 05-27-2010, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejeep View Post
They look great, especially the detail in the spider.

Damn glad you went with round LEDs.
Thanks Robert! Enjoy those square guards!
post #21 of 25 Old 05-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Granite Guru

Love these and am seriously considering them when they come out for the 2 door.
post #22 of 25 Old 05-31-2010, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
Love these and am seriously considering them when they come out for the 2 door.
Yes, "The Mistress" needs an armored ass!
post #23 of 25 Old 03-17-2012, 11:09 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Sorry to revive a 2 year old thread but I'm installing a set in the AM and found this to be helpfull!

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #24 of 25 Old 03-18-2012, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
Sorry to revive a 2 year old thread but I'm installing a set in the AM and found this to be helpfull!
Glad it was helpful and good luck on the install.
post #25 of 25 Old 04-02-2012, 11:28 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose512 View Post
Glad it was helpful and good luck on the install.
The thread was VERY helpful. Thanks!

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode