Maybe your a JKO heavy hitter in California, your Jeep rocks (spelled MYGPRKS) and you are looking for a little armor to compliment your Frankenflare. Maybe you already fubar'd your quarter panel and you are looking for a way to hide your trail mistakes. Maybe your an underage internet badass that thinks the Crusher Corners would look sick on your moms 2wd JK and that they will protect it from runaway grocery carts at the local Piggly Wiggly!
Whatever your reason, the new Poison Spyder Crusher Corners enhance the look and protection of your JK. The JK sheetmetal is slightly thicker then double-ply tissue paper so the addition of a 1/8” steel corner is a welcome addition to those of us that may accidently bump into things out on the trails. Poison Spyder offers the corners in three different configurations..blank (no holes for lights), one hole for a 4” LED light, and the model I went with that has two holes, one for a 4” LED and a smaller 2 ˝” hole for a LED back-up light.
After you remove the stock taillights, the next step is to cut the two raised areas where the stock taillights screwed into the rear body. The corners are very flush to the body and if you don’t remove these two areas the corners won’t fit properly/or at least not as flush as designed.
Don’t forget to paint the exposed metal where you made the cut. Now your ready to clamp the crusher corners to the body and start drilling holes for the nut-serts. Before you clamp the armor to the body, put some masking tape on the quarter where you could rub/scratch your paint. I have painted tube fenders so I also taped those.
At this point I deviated a little from the Poison Spyder directions. Instead of drilling all of the initial holes with the corners clamped to the body, I only drilled three holes (the upper hole closest to the rear door, the hole to the upper right of the gas cap and the upper hole next to the tailgate). Then I removed the clamps and corner, installed the nut-serts in these three holes only (after paint touch-up) and then re-installed the corner using these three nut-serts and one clamp in the taillight opening.
After all of the remaining holes were drilled, I then drilled the hole for the back-up lamp with the corner still on the Jeep/it helps as a guide, insures you cut the hole in the correct location and it is impossible for the drill to walk. Then the armor was removed, holes re-drilled to the proper size, paint touch up and the remaining nut-serts installed.
One last fitting before paint,