Dual Control Winch plus a few other goodies - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-22-2010, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Dual Control Winch plus a few other goodies

So I decided to go ahead and swap out the Superwinch that has developed a short in the controller outlet. I swapped it for the Smittybilt XRC8 that I won @ Jeep Beach last weekend.

Originally I wanted to relocated the remote solenoid, however I didn't have any extra 4 gauge laying around to use, so that will be a project for another day. The next best thing was to splice into the wires leading to the controller outlet and ran them to a switch panel. So now I can either use the onboard switch, or if necessary I can still use the corded controller.

Oh yea, I went ahead and bed lined the grill & blacked out the turn signals while I was at it.

The other big project for the day was squeezing up a little lemonade by addressing the broken glovebox from the ass munch walking around Daytona Beach last weekend. As I mentioned in a few other threads, I've been sitting on a Cobra 148GTL and an ARC 8000 Switch Panel. With the latch on the glovebox being snapped off and rendered useless for securing things I decided it would make the perfect spot for both the relay board and the CB.

First I simply outlined the CB using a box knife, followed by a drill and a jigsaw to cut out the opening for the CB.

The ARC 8000 relay board mounted to the bottom of the box.

Now here is where I'd like to throw up a few little tidbits to making life simple when running multiple wires through the firewall. The heavy 6 gauge cable is pretty straight forward. Next I used a piece of hollow tubing that actually glows in the dark not that it matters. An alternative is the metal specialty straws that you can sometimes find at your local 7Eleven for Slurpies.. Take the tube/straw and run it through the firewall and use it as a "stent", now all your wires easily pass through the firewall and if you are using a drilled hole, it protects the wires from being cut on the sharp edges.

CB installed and glovebox is held closed using a zip tie for now. I'm debating on going through the trouble of fabricating a faceplate using sheet metal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Loki646; 05-24-2010 at 05:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-22-2010, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
ARC 8000

Now for a few details on the ARC 8000; it is very similar to the Spod in that it comes with its own relay board , wire harness, and switch panel. The big difference is the switch panels itself, it is a all in one touch panel that contains 8 switches that can be modified to work as standard switches or momentary switches. You wire all your devices into the relay board while a single 1/4" ribbon cable runs from the board to the switch panel. Only needing to run a single thin ribbon make it very easy to locate the switch panel just about anywhere within 8ft of the relay board. Below you can see I simply ran it up to the A pillar and over to the driver's sun visor. For now I mounted the panel to the visor using zip ties until I can pick up some industrial velco.

Switches off = Red lights

Switches on = Green lights

With the visor folded up, the panel is easily out of sight

Now that its finally installed, one major issue I've discovered that has me uneasy is the fact that because the panel receives power 24/7 and thus the lights stay lit, the panel itself which is aluminum gets rather hot to the touch. I'm going to continue to watch this on the up coming trip to Ocala for the Camping and trail ride. If it appears to be a potential fire hazard, I won't hesitate to pull it and get the Spod.

/

Last edited by Loki646; 05-23-2010 at 04:52 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-22-2010, 09:05 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Liquor

looks great. like that switch panel!

• Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:

Magazine Feature:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-24-2010, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I just wanted to post up a quick update on the temperature issue I mentioned above. It turns out the "hot to the touch" was in fact simply due to me having it out in the sun all day while installing it. I left it plugged in overnight and when I hopped in this morning, it was nice and cool to the touch. The aluminum casing is simply very heat conductive and even the ambient air temp will make it a little warm.

So it now looks like I'm going to look a little further into those insulated HT inserts to help cool down the inside of the Jeep. I'm also going to consider an alternate location since it would be fully exposed when the top is off. If only I had a sport cage already...

/

post #5 of 5 Old 03-29-2011, 11:39 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Loki,
Thank you for the great picture of how to get through the firewall. I had already spent more time searching how to get through the wall then it actually took to pull the wiring after seeing your picture.

'13 JKU Rubicon - 3" Teraflex Lift w/ 8 Flexarms, LoD Rock Sliders, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Nitto Trail Grappler 35x12.5x17

'12 JK Artic - 2" RE Lift, Poison Spyder Knockers, Surprise Straps Grab Handles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode