Vision X Solstice Solo INSTALL WRITE UP - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-17-2010, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Vision X Solstice Solo INSTALL WRITE UP

So here it is, my big LED install. A while back i posted that i needed help finding lights for my FLW rear bumper, i wanted small white LEDs for my backup lights because i cant see a damn thing. Well i searched and searched and found the Vision X Solstice Solos.

www.visionxonly.com => known for their Xmitters but these solstice solos kick ass too

http://www.visionxonly.com/Solstice-...LED-Light.html
these are the lights that i went with. Since i am using these for reverse lighting i decided on the 45degree elliptical beam pattern to throw the most light in the largest area. i knew that i wanted a pair and and figured that two at 45 degrees would light up the night (900 lumens from 1 LED)

one of the other reasons i went with this is that they are shatterproof and submersible up to 3 meters (even tkob could run these). i figured that buying one set of these as opposed to multiple sets of wallyworld lights is much better.

AND HERE THEY ARE

this has two lights and a very handy dual wiring harness with a built in relay, i did opt not to use the harness due to the wiring and i would have to extend every connection, but VisionX said that might be true and they will refund it no problem

picture of the light and harness

this is the light with the included wiring

Another nice thing about these lights is how they attach to each other, they have this multiple light coupling that allows for a solid base of more than one light, it uses the same system to attach to the supplied mount (though i painted the bare metal black to go with my bumper)

two lights with the harness attached and showing the coupling block

showing the two lights coupled together - the hex bolt on the top mount is the same way that the coupling works

upclose of the mount

painted mount on the bumper

2008 BLACK Unlimited Sahara
Poly Performance 3"on 35" Xterrains and 15" Soft 8s, Front Pro Rock 44, FLW Front Prerunner, FLW Rear Bumper, FLW Rock Sliders, River Raider Gen2 Snorkel, Superior 5.13s,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by joePILE; 05-18-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-17-2010, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

this part there arent a whole lot of pictures for this section since it was all wiring and fishing the lines through the bumper but here is exactly what happened

first i mapped out and mocked up the lighting so make sure that drilling holes directly in back of the tube would be ok with my 35 inch tires, luckily it was. So behind each mount i drilled a hole and and began fishing the wires though.

To simplify the wiring i wired the right light to the left light and then wire a single power and ground to the combined lights (much like the dual harness would have done).

One thing i made sure to do was heat shrink as much as possible for waterproofing and giving the wires another coating for the fishing wires through will beat on them a lot.
once i got the unified lead out of the base of the bumper i used the same ground i use for my CB (bolt on the frame rail) and connected the power to a wire that i had already pre ran through the cabin.

While this is the simplest part, it definitely took the longest, luckily my buddy was over and he had a lot of patience to fish the wire out

Here is my new switch panel

Shout out to www.12voltguy.com for a great product

under the dash i made a fuse box and ran a single fused wire to the battery for cleanliness and to keep things simple

Poly Performance 3"on 35" Xterrains and 15" Soft 8s, Front Pro Rock 44, FLW Front Prerunner, FLW Rear Bumper, FLW Rock Sliders, River Raider Gen2 Snorkel, Superior 5.13s,
and

Last edited by joePILE; 05-17-2010 at 05:59 PM.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-17-2010, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

So here is the finished product

close up of one pod

full bumper shot

these are some bright freaking lights

crazy bright

and the finished product (i also wired the led rock lights)

I have to say that these lights are just amazing, they throw a ridiculous amount of light, i will try and get some shots tonight of the area it floods, but believe me you can see them in broad day light. The only issue i have is one that has me troubled... my Black Magics on the windshield just dont fit the jeep anymore, now i have to replace those with some LEDs looks like ill be rummaging through the VisionX catalouge to find a suitable replacemean

As requested some night shots

lights up my driveway

lights all the way up across the street to my neighbors house

*these were taken with my phone, not the best night camera, but i tell you they are crazy bright

Tantrum Rock lights teaser pic
http://www.visionxonly.com/Rock-light-8-pods.html

and

Last edited by joePILE; 05-23-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-17-2010, 08:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

A night shot out the back would be nice! I'm trying to bring myself to buy them but bright as hell and bright as hell 15 to 25 feet away are two different things.

I want to be able to light as much up behind me as well as be able to change some tailgatters/highbeamers mind! Thanks looks good!

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #5 of 13 Old 05-18-2010, 12:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice install Joe... Looks GREAT!

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-18-2010, 03:25 AM
Rock God

I have a pair of these mounted facing rear on my gobi rack. I used them for the first time camping in the NJ pine barrens. It was night and I had to set up my tent. It wasn't night when I hit the switch. They are simply amazing.

Mike 2010 Rubicon 2DR | RK 3.5 X FACTOR MID ARM | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #7 of 13 Old 05-18-2010, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
A night shot out the back would be nice! I'm trying to bring myself to buy them but bright as hell and bright as hell 15 to 25 feet away are two different things.

I want to be able to light as much up behind me as well as be able to change some tailgatters/highbeamers mind! Thanks looks good!
ill work on getting this shot, but its a tough one

the street and town i live in has street lamps everywhere, if i have time tonight and my room mate isnt in the driveway ill try to get some in the back yard.

I agree with you wanting to throw light farther, but these are the 45 degree elliptical lights, the 30 degree cone or the spot lights might be better for your application

and

post #8 of 13 Old 05-19-2010, 03:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Thanks! I have been thinking of ordering one fog and one driving beam and that would probably work. Not sure if I can fit two in each opening on my bumper so I guess ill get one of each like I said and give it a
go, if there is enough room to double them in each opening imagine the light out put of two spots and two fogs,
good lord!

I think you did a great job installing them but what have you done to keep them from getting stolen? That would be my biggest fear. Unfortunatly with my bumper I will have to remove it and that swing out part I'm sure is going to be a mutherf..... To get off the support pin since it was he'll to get it on in the first place. Hence the reason I have been looking for something that will not fail.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #9 of 13 Old 05-19-2010, 08:05 AM
Rock God

Garage

Nice writeup señor. Those lights look sick with the bumper. Seeing as I just installed my FLW bumper this weekend and didn't opt for any lights, I will have to look into these. I can't wait to see them this weekend. The submersible aspect is a huge plus. I know that the wallyworld lights from that one night run were all running super hot and some were having issues with them. These seem like they would be good for the rears as well as that other "rock light" kit thing that you have shown. I like the "get off my ass" option too . I see more switches in my future...

Jersey
Crew
JK retired Wednesday, March 21st, 2012.
07 X 6spd • Clayton 3.5 • OME LT • ORE Gussets/Sleeves • RCV Shafts • JKS Discos & Track • AEV Snorkel • FLW Rear Bumper • RRF Front• PSC Sliders • RROR Skids • Poly P. Ball Joints• Wood's Shafts• Yukon Gears • Maxxis Kreepy Krawlers • Superwinch epi9• Safari Straps
post #10 of 13 Old 05-19-2010, 10:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
Thanks! I have been thinking of ordering one fog and one driving beam and that would probably work. Not sure if I can fit two in each opening on my bumper so I guess ill get one of each like I said and give it a
go, if there is enough room to double them in each opening imagine the light out put of two spots and two fogs,
good lord!

I think you did a great job installing them but what have you done to keep them from getting stolen? That would be my biggest fear. Unfortunatly with my bumper I will have to remove it and that swing out part I'm sure is going to be a mutherf..... To get off the support pin since it was he'll to get it on in the first place. Hence the reason I have been looking for something that will not fail.
Are you looking at running these in place of your factory fogs? I've been thinking of this, not quite sure how they would work... I have a Rugged Ridge front bumper. If you have any ideas... wouldn't mind hearing them.

I also use a flood beam Solo for a back up light... i installed it on the top of the factory tire carrier, shines out through the spokes on the spare.

Thanks,
Steve

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-20-2010, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

i should be able to get some night shots tonight... hopefully
... i have been helping my roommate take apart his girls new motorcycle (old and sat for 2 years) so the driveway has been full, if we finish ill get some proper light shots

Just to clarify i dealt directly with Rick at www.vistionxonly.com

i have had nothing but great experiences with him

and

post #12 of 13 Old 05-23-2010, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

updated with night shots

and

post #13 of 13 Old 05-23-2010, 05:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Good stuff JP.

I just wish they were a little, just a little smaller - which would allow me to squeeze two stick together inside my light cutouts on my bumper. One of them is already out for some reason. The LEDs are the way to go.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode