My High Steer/Reid Knuckles/Hydro Assist Solution - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-16-2010, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

My High Steer/Reid Knuckles/Hydro Assist Solution

I bought an AEV lift after welding on my ORE brackets and installing a hydro assist. Of course I bought the premium kit so I could get the high steer thing going. I put in the lift first as I was on the clock and figured it would take a bit to get the high steer worked out. I really didn't like the idea of drilling out the steering knuckle and put off doing it. Finally I climbed under there and discovered that I had a lot to deal with between the high steer, the hydro assist and the ORE brackets before even looking at the knuckle. Then I picked up the Reid Knuckles to avoid drilling out knuckle. The AEV bracket is a two piece setup that takes up a lot of space on the axle and there was little for me to like so I decided to try Poly Performance's. As I had the assist and the bracket that came with that didn't seem even close to workable, I ordered the assist bracket as well. I went ahead and yanked the axle as I was going to sleeve and gussett it anyways. Of course nothing worked together so here's what I did:

I first bolted on the new trackbar bracket. I only used the U-bolt and put the bolts in just to hold it lined up so I could lay a bead down. Don't bother giving me shit about the beads they're ugly but I know they'll hold.

The Reid knuckles lift the tie rod 1 3/4" up so I adjusted Poly's hydro assist bracket to fit on the trackbar bracket 1 3/4" up as well. You can see I added an extra hole under the actual assist cylinder attaching tangs to better reinforce it. After looking at it, I could have ground and drilled the original bracket to do this as well although the metal didn't seem as solid as Poly's.

I later cut off the part on the driver's side that covered the upper control arm mount and the tang sticking up to the passenger's side of the trackbar bolt hole. I then welded the two brackets together. I also welded the brackets solidly to the axle.

I then fashioned a gussett at the back of the driver's side of the assist bracket.

I probably didn't need to, but you can see I ground off the lower passenger bolt just in case. The picture doesn't capture it well, but I have well over 1/2" of clearance between the bracket and tie rod at full turn with the stops ground 1/8" off.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Granite Guru

Those sir are some interesting welds looks like something I would do

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Rock God

Those welds are horrible and will fail,

Do us all a favor and get someone to teach you how to weld and how to setup your welder properly and in the meantime a pro should redo those welds

Im sorry for being rough but that is just scary looking!!!

Last edited by jeepik; 05-16-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-16-2010, 05:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

its either JB Welds or liquid nails!.........

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
post #5 of 8 Old 05-17-2010, 01:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepik View Post
Those welds are horrible and will fail,

Do us all a favor and get someone to teach you how to weld and how to setup your welder properly and in the meantime a pro should redo those welds

Im sorry for being rough but that is just scary looking!!!
It's all about penetration. I've seen worse on Navy ships. If it penetrated all the extra crap isn't doing anything but adding weight. Not quite as much as a bumper but at least is unsprung weight.

Practice make perfect.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Granite Guru

You may lead me over Poughkeepsie but you may not weld on Lucy.

That said I'm sure they are better than mine would be. So the simple mating of Orange High Steer knuckles and steering components turned out to be anything but. Imagine that.

More parts on the pile?

"Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill", Bob Arnett
post #7 of 8 Old 05-18-2010, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Hey, working on a borrowed computer while I weld up a new one.

I didn't post this to discuss my quality of welds. I did keep a close eye on the rear of the plate I was welding on to make sure that wonderful after glow was shining through. I'm satisfied there was plenty of penetration. I think I worked a little slower than the welder wanted me to. Those Millermatics are really cool machines. Plus note I bolted the shit out of everything and the welds were pretty much just for fun (with the possible exception of the gussett).

Back to topic: I really wanted to show what raising that cylinder bracket 1-3/4" inch would do. It gives a great amount of clearance for all of the bizarre mods we are doing. If you have the bracket that came with the assist kit, Poly's bracket or those weld on tabs and extra plate (and some welding skills ) you can fashion your own setup without needing to experiment at all.

If you are fashioning your own, the other important measurements/relationships are:
-the cylinder tabs attach 4" ( center hole to center hole) to the left of the trackbar hole.
-the top tab of the cylinder bracket is level with the bottom of the trackbar hole.

And She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed isn't too bothered with the addition of the stock knuckles and PSC bracket.

Cheers all

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
post #8 of 8 Old 05-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Rock God

I think it looks cool and as long as you are satisfied with the penetration...who cares. I'm somewhat of a perfectionist and would have tried to clean it up a little more but that is just me. Thanks for the tips!

Sent Via Zip Line Messenger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode