My Roof Rack and Basket build idea. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Erick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 09-24-2015, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

My Roof Rack and Basket build idea.

Here I will show how I carry my gear on the trail. My objective is to carry 4 full size North American Mammals comfortably with a clear and open cab.
My most important piece of equipment is my rear storage box. This box holds all of the important (get off the trail equipment), mostly filled with nuts, bolts, metal, spare parts and tools. This box holds the heaviest of items and is made by Diabolicalinc.
Second important piece is my basket. Measuring in at 47X 29 this is my pride piece. It can hold two Coleman metal coolers and a camp box, or one large Coleman 5 day cooler and two camp boxes. I built the basket out of a 7/8 square tubing basket that was originally for another jeep and extended it out using square tubing. The side hangers I made out of 3X3X.250 angle iron welded to 2.250 flat bar. For ease of install I bolted the hangers to the basket using 4 7/16 bolts.
Third is my roof rack. This rack is for the lighter side of things, camp chairs, bed rolls and luggage. . I wanted a small and non-obtrusive roof rack. I attached it using the basket mounts on the roll bar. I didnt want the rack to go all the way to the front window so, I stopped it at the front of the rear door. I built the rack out of 1 square tubing and had the side pieces cut out with a CNC Plasma machine, Thank you Sand Solutions Reno, NV for the help. I then added the expanded metal. The rack can hold heavy gear in the rear and lighter gear in the front.
I think that if anyone wants a good solid mounting design, they should consider this a good and tested way to do it. I drilled two holes into the roll bar 6 inches apart .750 inch in diameter. I filled each hole with .750 inch .120 wall tubing and welded both sides leaving a inch hole.
If I were to do it again I would separate the holes out to 9 inches on the roll bar to spread out the area of force. It is not an issue at 6 inches, but 9 inches would be better. The basket I would not use the tie downs on the front and rear and I would extend the basket out that extra 4 inches. I use one boat style quick strap to hold all the components down in the basket. The rack I need to install bungee hook options, hooking to the expanded metal is no fun.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-25-2016, 04:25 PM
Wheeler

Awesomeness. I'm hoping to build my own rail system for my hardtop soon. I love the cargo basket.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-26-2016, 05:41 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

That looks awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-26-2016, 06:46 AM
Wheeler

Very nice!!! I just can't bring myself to give up my hard top (that should read A/C) during these brutal MS summers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode