Flick's Offroad/Utility Trailer Build - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 05-03-2010, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Flick's Offroad/Utility Trailer Build

OK, so I got the idea for an offroad/utility trailer after seeing a guy build up a M416 at one of our local Jeep clubs website. He told me where he was getting alot of his info. So when I decided to do a write up, I decided to do it on the forum where I got most of my info, and because I only wanted to "maintain" one build thread.

1st and foremost, I want to say a BIG thanks to Jason (WylieJK). I don't know how to weld, although I am slowly learning, nor do I have all of the tools necessary to pull this off, and without him, I would be nowhere in this build. Also, thanks to RustyNuts, I used some of the ideas I got from your build thread.

Guess that is why the Jeep is called a "Utility" vehicle
Teaser pic

Build thread on Expedition Portal
http://goo.gl/Uacm

Check it out, and let me know what you think.

Flick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Gecko Rubi Unlimited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 05-03-2010, 01:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Makes me want to accelerate my future plans for welding classes at the tech school.

Looking good so far So are you going to put a build thread in the write-up library so I can add it to index?

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #3 of 36 Old 05-04-2010, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
So are you going to put a build thread in the write-up library so I can add it to index?
Maybe, but for now I'm just gonna keep my write-up threads to just the one site

Anyone have any ideas for tie downs inside the box, that won't take away from me trying to keep it as flat/smooth as possible?

Flick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 05-04-2010, 08:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by flick View Post
Maybe, but for now I'm just gonna keep my write-up threads to just the one site

Anyone have any ideas for tie downs inside the box, that won't take away from me trying to keep it as flat/smooth as possible?

E Track System

Check eTrailer.com or simply google "E track Tie Down"

I'm planning to install these in my M416 when the time comes.

BTW, just saw the more in depth pics on Expedition Portal. Nice work so far.

/

Last edited by Loki646; 05-04-2010 at 09:45 AM.
post #5 of 36 Old 05-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Wheeler

This thread needs more pics

Thanks for the props by the way Brian.

Custom Fiberglass HoodS

X-Chassis 007 LS1 42's 4 Wheel Steer HP60's
post #6 of 36 Old 05-07-2010, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTYNUTS View Post
This thread needs more pics...

Thanks for the props by the way Brian.
OK, OK, OK. I'll maintain multiple build threads, since no one wants to click on a link to take a look at it.

Really, I hope everyone enjoys it, and maybe it will inspire some others.

My Build pics

Who knew that the Jeep would haul steel. Guess that is why it is called a "Utility" vehicle

Squared up frame. Using 2x3 14ga

Axle setup (http://goo.gl/k32N) I went with these just to get the 5x5 bolt pattern that my Jeep has, not for the 3500 lbs.

Mocked up with some 35x12.5" tires mounted. I'm gonna use some BFG AT KO 33x12 on Rubicon wheels for the finished product.

Front tongue started. Installed the receiver stock through the front part of the frame, and tied it to the front cross member.

Thanks to Martyn for the coupler. I could not be happier with it, and everyone that sees it just :drool: at the sight.

Bottom 14ga going on

I didn't get any pictures of it, but there is also some receiver stock going through the back of the frame and to the back cross member. It sticks out less than 1/4".

Flick

post #7 of 36 Old 05-07-2010, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Floor done. It has 6 plug welds, 3 per cross member.

Checking height of wall. The posts are 20", so with the top put on it makes the wall 21.5" high.

Side rails up all around

Better view of the side rails, and you can really see the plug welds

The V for the tongue complete

Side skin done

Fender support done

Holes for 2" LED lights drilled (2-1/8" hole size), and fish tape hanging out. Used the fish tape so we could weld on the frame without worrying too much about melting it.

So that is where we are to at this point. Painted black, will probably paint the tub red at some point. Also installed the lights, so it is fully functional. I'll get some pics taken, and post 'em up.

Now I'm sure the fun begins with add ons and changes.

Next big things up will be tail gate, and lid.

Anyone with ideas for some tie downs? I'm trying to keep everything as flat as possible, so that it can still be used as a utility trailer to haul things like dirt or wood. I was thinking about something like this http://goo.gl/vzQt this http://goo.gl/nGwG or this http://goo.gl/hyEr?, but I am just not 100% sure.

Comments/Ideas/Suggestions? Feel free.

Flick

post #8 of 36 Old 05-07-2010, 02:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

Looking good, nice build.

I see you won yard-of the-month too, congrats

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #9 of 36 Old 05-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Banned

Sweet build, mang

post #10 of 36 Old 05-07-2010, 06:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Great trailer

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #11 of 36 Old 05-10-2010, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
Looking good, nice build.

I see you won yard-of the-month too, congrats
No yard-of the-month here That was at my buddy's garage, he's the HOA pres and was giving it to a neighbor.

Hopefully I'll get some new pics taken this week, and uploaded.

Flick

post #12 of 36 Old 05-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Wheeler

Quote:

Anyone with ideas for some tie downs? I'm trying to keep everything as flat as possible, so that it can still be used as a utility trailer to haul things like dirt or wood. I was thinking about something like this http://goo.gl/vzQt this http://goo.gl/nGwG or this http://goo.gl/hyEr?, but I am just not 100% sure.

Looking good.

Mac's got some nice stuff. Buy it once kind of deal.

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/category/VersaTieTrackKits

Custom Fiberglass HoodS

post #13 of 36 Old 05-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Wheeler

Or jumbo size it like Loki646 mentioned above...

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/category/ETrack

Custom Fiberglass HoodS

post #14 of 36 Old 05-11-2010, 03:03 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

I like the E-track for its cost and versatility. There are a lot more connection options with the e-track. The other nice feature of the E-track is you can mount it both on the floor of the tub or the side walls. being it is relatively flat, having it on the floor does not make it difficult for cargo to slide over. The other track Rusty mentioned is an excellent option, but is best served on the side walls only, but then you still need to buy the actual straps as you only get eyelets for your $80+ bucks.

Mainly the cost is what sold me on the E-track though. If you are near a Tractor Supply, most of them stock the E-track. However you may need to order online for longer track sections as TSC usually only stocks the 2' sections. Rusty's link looks very comparative to eTrailer.com's web prices so either would be a great online source to order from.

If you are concerned with cost being an indicator to the products quality, don't be. Have you ever seen the inside of most Semi box trailers or even moving trucks, most have the E-track installed in them. They are definitely a test proven product.

/

post #15 of 36 Old 05-11-2010, 04:43 AM
Rock God

Garage

Nice build!

Subscribed.
post #16 of 36 Old 05-11-2010, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Looking good...
Mac's got some nice stuff. Buy it once kind of deal.

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/category/VersaTieTrackKits

Yeah, I had looked at some similar ones, and they do look interesting, but the down fall that I see in them is they have to be screwed or riveted in since they are made of aluminum or stainless.

Quote:
I think I'm going to go with this system. One real big plus to me is that it can be welded into place. Also, they look to be cheaper and more versatile than the other systems I've looked at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki646 View Post
If you are near a Tractor Supply, most of them stock the E-track. However you may need to order online for longer track sections as TSC usually only stocks the 2' sections. Rusty's link looks very comparative to eTrailer.com's web prices so either would be a great online source to order from...
I didn't know that Tractor Supply might carry them, that's awesome. There is one right down the road from me, less than 5 miles.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully after doing a brake job this week, I can get back on the trailer.

Flick

post #17 of 36 Old 05-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Rock God

Subscribed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure I'll think of something
post #18 of 36 Old 05-15-2010, 06:51 AM
Granite Guru

Looking good! Keep it up. Adam

post #19 of 36 Old 05-20-2010, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

OK, so I have finally taken the time to get some more pics.

The trailer now has lights, a tailgate and a coat of black paint.

The lights, all the way around are the same, 2” Round LED Marker/Clearance Lights. I think they turned out great.

Sitting behind the Jeep. Going to get the trailer some new BFG AT KO tires, so my buddy can have his tires and wheels back

Next up will be to finish out the fenders with some metal, a lid, and probably some expanded metal on the tongue. Not sure, but this might wait until after my vacation.

I'm always open to Comments/Ideas/Suggestions?

Flick

post #20 of 36 Old 05-20-2010, 09:12 AM
Wheeler

Looking good. What are your plans for covering the fenders? Polished alum. diamond plate might go well there.

Has the build been what you expected, easier, or more difficult?

Custom Fiberglass HoodS

post #21 of 36 Old 05-20-2010, 09:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Great job Flick, looking forward to seeing what kinda goodies you add to it. I'm already designing up my next build and it will be much like this one but more Expedition geared than Utilitarian.

/

post #22 of 36 Old 05-20-2010, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Looking good. What are your plans for covering the fenders? Polished alum. diamond plate might go well there.

Has the build been what you expected, easier, or more difficult?
Have been thinking about using the alum diamond plate, kinda pricey, but we'll see. I just don't know yet.

The work has been hard, mainly because I sit behind a desk all day, but other than that the build process has not be harder than I thought. I'd do it again, and my buddy is already thinking about ideas for one for himself, so it might not be that far off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki646 View Post
Great job Flick, looking forward to seeing what kinda goodies you add to it. I'm already designing up my next build and it will be much like this one but more Expedition geared than Utilitarian.
I'd like to take it more toward expedition, but right now I just don't know what I want, and don't know any people in the area that I can get ideas off of. I'm mainly using forums for my info, but sometimes looking/feeling/touching something that someone else has done makes the ideas flow better. Feel free to throw some of your ideas my way, I'd love to hear them.

Flick

post #23 of 36 Old 05-20-2010, 10:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I'd like to take it more toward expedition, but right now I just don't know what I want, and don't know any people in the area that I can get ideas off of. I'm mainly using forums for my info, but sometimes looking/feeling/touching something that someone else has done makes the ideas flow better. Feel free to throw some of your ideas my way, I'd love to hear them.
Well other than using forums or getting to see some up close, take yours camping and study how you use yours. How do you pack it, unpack it, what things do you tend to reach for more than others, etc. Simply doing this will open your eyes to new and IMPROVED ideas that may or may not be floating around in your head now.

I developed a few new ideas just from this last weekend @ Jeep Beach camping 1 night in mine regarding how to mount a canopy to the lid while its open or that the lid switch that was originally going to be in the Pelican case would in fact be more convenient in its own waterproof case in a different location.

/

post #24 of 36 Old 05-30-2010, 10:21 PM
Rock God

Awesome build! I'm getting ready to jump in with a very similar project, and I'll be using a lot of the same ideas. A few questions though, since I've never owned a trailer or even pulled one: Why is the tongue area of the trailer so long? Is there a certain optimal length? Would there be any harm in moving the axles back further to improve departure angle?

For me, all I really need to haul is camping supplies and a few emergency-type items. What all do you use yours to carry?

-WRM
post #25 of 36 Old 05-31-2010, 07:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRMorrison View Post
Why is the tongue area of the trailer so long? Is there a certain optimal length? Would there be any harm in moving the axles back further to improve departure angle?

-WRM
I believe he has plans for some expanded metal up there, nice place to put a generator and some gas cans. Not sure what he plans on carrying there - I am thinking about building one and will set the front up for four Jerry cans....

Any more pics/details on what you did with the tailgate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode