Sasquatch's Project "Working Emergency Brake" & Rear Brake Replacement w/PNs - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-30-2010, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Sasquatch's Project "Working Emergency Brake" & Rear Brake Replacement w/PNs

All written by Brett, I just hosted the pictures and pieced it back together...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASQUATCH
This write-up is primarily a Part # list, I can add the steps if anyone thinks it would be helpful.

Last week my passenger rear brake caliper piston semi froze up semi compressed against the rotor for a good 45 minutes, not enough to get red-hot but close enough to bot allow you to touch the wheel. Parking brake has never worked right, even new they were inadequate. So I finally had enough and decided to fix the entire rear brake setup.

Here in SE TX the gulf coast/beach is just a part of life but takes it toll on brakes which is what I think happened to the piston. I actually removed the caliper, cycled the brake piston at the pedal a couple dozen times which broke the corrosion ridge and held me over until parts arrived.

I included the pics for PART NUMBERS for anyone wanting to know "what" you need. I'm using the rust converter on the internals for the emergency brake components, axle body, 3 springs, star-adjuster, shoe retainers and e-brake lever mechanism. The 2000 deg header paint is for the rotors in the pics.
I'll have to find the PN for the rotors, but they are Duralast (non-scrap steel) rotors.

Paint & Rust Converter

The bag on the right came with the rear disc pads, you don't need the bad on the left unless you're just replacing sliders and boots.

Ceramic pads are going on this time

The new rear shoes which appear to be about 3x thicker than my old ones.

New zinc calipers

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-30-2010, 05:48 PM
Rock God

Time to follow this one.. Getting close to needing mine done. Saltwater does a number also. Though strangely my parking brake still works fine, go figure..

Ron
(knows that parking brake will now die tomorrow)

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world.
But the Marines don't have that problem." ..... Ronald Reagan

post #3 of 8 Old 05-12-2010, 08:54 PM
Granite Guru

This is prob a dumb question, but for the parking brake shoes, do you need one set or two? My rear brakes are about to need replacing and wanna do the parking brake as well.

Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-27-2012, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Here so it's easy to find. Thanks Ron, and thanks PhrogMech46 for finding that thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
I don't know what lever needs backing off. Mine has no such thing.

I also adjust with the rotor off. It's a lot easier.
It can be done with everything still on, but it's a little frustrating at times.
The access slot is hard to get to.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-27-2012, 02:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Which direction do you rotate the star wheel? clockwise, counterclockwise?

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #6 of 8 Old 07-01-2012, 01:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Rather, how many "clicks" do you have to turn the starwheel? I figured out that drivers side, clockwise, passenger side, counterclockwise,,.....now just need to know how many clicks to turn the f-er.

RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #7 of 8 Old 07-02-2012, 10:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
Rather, how many "clicks" do you have to turn the starwheel? I figured out that drivers side, clockwise, passenger side, counterclockwise,,.....now just need to know how many clicks to turn the f-er.
Anyone? Anyone know? Bueller.......bueller

post #8 of 8 Old 07-02-2012, 10:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
Anyone? Anyone know? Bueller.......bueller
Every vehicle is going to vary, stretch of the brake cables, shoe wear, drum wear, etc. You need to take it to just where the parking brake shoes drag on the inside of the rotor, then back it off one.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode