NX Top - Quick Release Side Bows - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 08-16-2015, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

NX Top - Quick Release Side Bows

Hey guys... Do you have a Trektop NX, would like to roll-up the top, toss it in the back, but the damn side bows being screwed in the header make it almost impossible? Me too. So, I left the screws out of the side bows so I could slide the side bows on and off, allowing me to toss everything in back.

Now I can't use my flip-back canopy option because the header bar come off the side bows. :apologetic:

If you are like me and want the best of both worlds, I have a solution that cost under $10 and takes all of about 20 minutes to do. I modified my side bows by removing all screws and adding a single spring button to each bow. Now, all I have to do to roll up my top is press a button to pull the bows out, roll it up and toss it in the back. If I want to flip the canopy back, the spring button holds the side bows into the header assembly.

Parts List:

1. Two 6mm Spring Buttons

Tools:

1. Drill
2. 7mm drill bit
3. Flat blade screwdriver with a minimum of a 6" shaft
4. Step Stool/Ladder

Step 1:
Open the top's flip-back canopy, allowing the flip-back assembly to lay flat, with the bottom of the header bar pointing up.

Step 2:
Using the step stool or ladder to easily and comfortably position yourself over the top. Unscrew the driver's side bow from the header (save screw for future use).

Step 3:
Pull the side bow quick release knob, lift the side bow away from the Sunrider bracket, and slide the side bow out of the header.

Step 4:
Safely secure the side bow for drilling and drill the most rearward side bow screw hole with the 7mm drill bit.

Step 5:
Insert the spring button into the open end of the side bow tube, with the fold of the button pointing inward on the tube. Using the flat blade screwdriver to control depth and the rotation of the button, gently push the spring button down the tube until the spring button reaches the 7mm hole you have drilled earlier. If the button is not centered correctly, you can twist the screwdriver to correctly align the button, so it can pop up into the hole.

Step 6:
Drill the header bar's most rearward side bow screw hole with the 7mm drill bit.

Step 7:
Slide the side bow back into the header, aligning the button with the hole on the header, inserting the side bow until the spring button pops up and locks the side bow into place. Pull the side bow quick release knob on the side bow and reconnect the bow to the Sunrider bracket.

Repeat steps 2 through 7 for the passenger's side bow.

Test the top for proper fit and function.

Quick caveat... due to the thickness of the plastic of the header bar, you will likely need to keep a pen, center punch, etc. in the vehicle so you can fully depress the spring button, releasing the side bow from the header.

The screws that were removed in step 2 can be used to screw the side bow back in if, in the future, you wish to fasten the bows to the header. However, you will only be able to use the front screw hole due to the spring button install. My recommendation is, if you do opt to screw the side bows into the header in the future, leave the spring button installed. This will add extra holding ability as well as leaving an option to going back to a quick release configuration.

Now, if I get cold, starts to rain, or if I want the AC, I just pull over and slap it all together.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-16-2015, 08:18 PM
Wheeler

Garage

What do you do with the header and 3 cross support bars when you remove the top?
post #3 of 3 Old 08-17-2015, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

The header stays attached to the fabric. The round rod from the Center gets removed and I just lay it in the back. The rear bar stays in the sleeve in the top. I roll up the top like a rug, starting at the header.

The 2 aluminium bows typically stay home unless we're expecting rain. Then I'll just keep them in the back too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode