Off road trailer build pics - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 04-27-2010, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Off road trailer build pics

Wanted to share some images of my latest off road trailer.

Framing with 2x3 and 2x2 .120 wall. I used a suzuki leaf spring, because its longer and rides softer than trailer springs.

With 35s.

Got the sides on.

My tailgate opening and the fenders that I made.

Shocks installed.

Got some paint on it and working on a lid.

I'll post some pics when it's completed, I got pulled away to make some rockers for a YJ.
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-28-2010, 02:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Great looking so far....What cargo load weight capacity are those springs? They seem a bit thin and appear almost maxed by the trailer's weight. Surprised you didn't go with a standard CJ spring or even the common CJ5 10 layer that you see on the M416s.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 Old 04-28-2010, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki646 View Post
Great looking so far....What cargo load weight capacity are those springs? They seem a bit thin and appear almost maxed by the trailer's weight. Surprised you didn't go with a standard CJ spring or even the common CJ5 10 layer that you see on the M416s.
Thanks,
I am unsure what the load weight of the springs are, but I can push down on a fender and get a couple inches of travel. I actually have a couple CJ springs laying around that I tried, but they were also too stiff. My goal is to have a very soft ride. After I finish the lid, I'm going to load it up and test it up in the hills and if it bottoms out, I was thinking about adding a leaf, if necessary.
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 04-28-2010, 07:41 AM
Rock God

Garage

that looks damn good man

2008 BLACK Unlimited Sahara
Poly Performance 3"on 35" Xterrains and 15" Soft 8s, Front Pro Rock 44, FLW Front Prerunner, FLW Rear Bumper, FLW Rock Sliders, River Raider Gen2 Snorkel, Superior 5.13s,
and

post #5 of 19 Old 04-28-2010, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Trailer

Hello,
I received a couple of questions about specs, so I'll put them on here for those who want to build one on their own.

-The frame is 2x3 .120 wall and 4 feet by 6 feet, I chose 4x6 because its not too big and I buy the steel in 20 foot lengths, so there is no wasted steel.
-I then used 2x2 .120 wall for the floor, I dropped it an inch, so I could slip in the floor and have it flush with the frame and the bottom will also be flush.
-I don't know the manufacturer of the axle, but it's 63 inches hub face to hub and it's a 3500lb axle (needed to be tough for the trails), Most trailer supply stores can order from their vendor or you can find them online.
-Springs are from a Suzuki Sami. I had to modify the hangers and link plates to fit a 2 inch spring, because 3500lb trailer springs are narrower.
-Shocks, I just went to Napa's website and found the size I needed and picked them up from my local store.
-I used 16 guage sheet metal for the sides and the top.
-I used 1x2 .120 wall for the sides.
-The fenders, I had a sheet of 12 guage sheared at 14 inches, then I had them bend one inch on each side at 90 degrees, I then cut them down to 5 foot lengths, I then notched the flaps on the fenders at 18 inches from each end and bent them to the shape I wanted. I mounted them with 1.5x1.5 angle iron on the bottoms. A lot of work, but they look cool and are really strong once welded up.
-I framed the top with 1.5x1.5 angle iron and used 2x2 for stability and a rack to mount stuff on, possibly a kayak or tent.
-The hinges for the tailgate and top are made from a rod sleeved with tubing.
-One more important thing, on this trailer I placed the center of the axle 9 inches behind the center of the 4x6 frame to allow for tongue weight.

Obviously there are many ways to make one of these, but this is how I made mine.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by reddragons; 04-28-2010 at 11:08 AM.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-28-2010, 11:38 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to CallMeBooth Send a message via Skype™ to CallMeBooth

Be careful with springs that are going to have too much travel you dont want that thing launching if you hit a big enough pothole on the highway...

2008 Red Rock 4 Door X
3" Teraflex Spring Lift
BFG KM2 35", LED Rock Lights
KC Driving Lights, Hella Black Magic lights
Trektop, RR Front Stubby
post #7 of 19 Old 04-28-2010, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeBooth View Post
Be careful with springs that are going to have too much travel you dont want that thing launching if you hit a big enough pothole on the highway...
Thanks,
I think it will be ok, when comparing my last off road trailer to this one during the high speed off road test drives, this one takes the bumps much better and dosen't leave the ground, the one with the stiff trailer springs would come off the ground when hitting a big bump at high speeds. I think the softer springs absorb the bumps better.
Steve
post #8 of 19 Old 04-28-2010, 03:41 PM
Rock God

That thing looks stout

Keep the pics coming
post #9 of 19 Old 04-28-2010, 04:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

great lookin build so far! looking forward to the build as it progresses

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

post #10 of 19 Old 05-03-2010, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

She is done.

Ok,
Here are some pics of the trailer finished.

The trailer can use a traditional 2" ball or the off road hitch that I made.

I used some heavy duty shocks to assist and hold thel lid.

Time for a trail ride. Let me know what you think.
Steve
post #11 of 19 Old 05-03-2010, 10:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice Job!

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #12 of 19 Old 05-04-2010, 05:07 AM
Granite Guru

looks great.
post #13 of 19 Old 05-04-2010, 07:21 AM
Wheeler

came out great!! you did some nice work.
post #14 of 19 Old 05-04-2010, 08:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Though I still love the looks of the M416/M101/Chaser, I think my next trailer will be like this or even the Sankey trailers. Another great build Redd....Between you , Venom and I, we should all get together and turn out the Ultimate trailer....

/

post #15 of 19 Old 05-04-2010, 08:08 AM
Granite Guru

Looks really nice. Hope mine turns out as nice as I'm hoping.

Flick

2013 Gecko Rubi Unlimited
post #16 of 19 Old 02-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Wheeler

What did you use for the swivel part of your offroad coupler? That design is awesome.
post #17 of 19 Old 02-14-2012, 07:01 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCobra View Post
What did you use for the swivel part of your offroad coupler? That design is awesome.
Yeah, after two years I am guessing the OP is overdue for an update on how the ZUKE springs held up...
post #18 of 19 Old 02-14-2012, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

The samurai springs held up great with plenty of travel and a soft ride. I have used the trailer loaded down on off road trails and it's done well. I built a new shop on my property several months ago and loaded the trailer with 1,000 lbs of scrap steel to take to the recycler and it didn't bottom out, but I wouldn't go any heavier than that.

I do need to relocate the shocks at a more vertical position because they ended up hitting my frame when it was loaded down. But i'm not easy on the trailer.

As for the hitch, it's fairly simple with bolts and sleves making it work. I'm working on getting a similar piece pattented because I have had so much interest in making them for the public. Again, it's not rocket science.

Thanks,
Steve
post #19 of 19 Old 04-01-2012, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Update on the trailer hitch,
It failed on me when I jack knifed the trailer to park it.
Back to the drawing board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode