MadMyk's Bumper - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-18-2010, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
MadMyk's Bumper

Well, this is a late post, I built this bumper at the end of last summer to get ready for the JKO invasion of Rausch Creek. This was my first metal fab work but I had some help from a buddy of mine at work who lives in Virginia Beach and builds large 5 ton type trucks. I planned my design on paper and did a mock up of it at 1/8 scale with foam core construction paper.
I started with straight sheets of 3/16 steel and cut the angles and winch cutouts with a 4" grinder

This is the forward facing piece that I then scored where I wanted to bend it

I had to bend the front piece and have it match up with the angles on the top piece. I clamped the piece to the workbench with a 2x12 and had my man heat it up with an acetyline torch. The weight of the piece bent itsef when it was hot enough.

After a couple seconds after it bent, I took it off the bench and down onto the ground onto another sheet of metal. This next part might be a bit confusing. I had the top piece cut that needed to match up with front. Top piece had my angles cut and when I put the front piece flat on the ground, I put the top piece edge side down in order to match up the angles. I heated the inside of the front piece and slid the top piece until it matched up. With everything plumb up, I poured water on the front piece to cool it immediately.

I ARC (stick) welded the inside seams for strength and welded the top piece on.

I made this bumper for a winch so I wanted it to have as much strength as possible. I engineered it to be fully boxed and to have it pull from directly between the frame rails. I took measurements from all the major winch manufacturers and made the winch plate to accomodate any of the ones I would want. Below are the side and front plates welded into place. I made the winch plate out of 2 pieces of 3/16" steel and laminated it together, making it stronger than one piece of 3/8". There is a mathematical formula for it, but I'm not going to go into it here. The plate comes all the way from the back of the side plates up to the forward facing piece, enclosing the entire compartment. I even added small pieces on the sides near the cable opening.

After one weekend of fab work, I brought it home to grind the welds and give it a test fit!

Just when they think they have all the answers, I go and change the question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-18-2010, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Now for the attachment means. I wanted the front to look as clean as possible so this is how I went about it. I cut holes in the front for the D-ring attachments to protrude.

I cut 1/4" plate, drill pressed, and tapped the holes for the attachment studs. I threaded 3/4"bolts through the plates and torched the heads off of the bolts. I welded the bolts on both sides of the plate. On the jobsite, we had a piece of 3/4" steel covering a hole, so I naturally appropiated it for a nobler cause. I cut them with an acetyline torch and grinded them smooth. Sticked them on to the 1/4" plate and vi-ola

Put the D-ring tab through the hole I cut, and stick welded it solid.

I had a Rugged Ridge skid plate http://www.quadratec.com/products/12052_1000_07.htm that I decided to incorporate into the design. With the plate and bumper in place, I measured another 3/16" plate to tie the two together.

I had a welder on the job give me some DOM tubing and I took it to his shop and bent it for my hoop. I took some steel and made some bracket for KC lights and welded them onto the bumper where I wanted it. I don't have any pics of these parts of the build, but I put on the lower tie-in piece and side angle pieces and got to grinding all the welds.

After all grinding and sanding, I shot it with the magical Duplicolor Spray on Bedliner so when I chip it, I can touch it up myself. With my 4 attachment points, and the Rugged Ridge plate, I have 10 points of attachment now Here are some pics of it at Rausch.

Had a great time building it, got real sick of looking at it off of the Jeep, and after 70 hours of work, once it was on, it was totally worth it. And no, I won't build one for you

post #3 of 13 Old 04-19-2010, 05:00 AM
JKO Addict!

Nice write up Mike!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-19-2010, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Thanks Ian, it was a good build and I'm damn proud of it. Just gotta get something to fill that hole in the middle

post #5 of 13 Old 04-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Rock God

Nice Job, greta home made bumper. When I was at the overnight trip i wish I got to take a look at it closer

White 2012 Sahara, Switchblade rear bumper, 5 35" mud grapplers sitting in my spare bedroom waiting on my lift.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-27-2010, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

EDIT: Just bought a new Warn XD9000i winch off of ebay to finish off the bumper I'll post up pics after the install.

post #7 of 13 Old 04-27-2010, 09:28 AM
Granite Guru

Nice job. Like your attitude, made to be repaired when you bash it not if.

"Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill", Bob Arnett
post #8 of 13 Old 04-27-2010, 10:11 AM
Wheeler

nice idea to get it coated with a do-it-yourself sealer...
i was gonna take mine to get it sprayed, but you make a good point of being able to touch it up yourself.

holla
tylerp
post #9 of 13 Old 04-27-2010, 10:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyk View Post
EDIT: Just bought a new Warn XD9000i winch off of ebay to finish off the bumper I'll post up pics after the install.
this is a great looking bumper, looks professional

you plan on using that winch on the 22nd? lol
post #10 of 13 Old 04-27-2010, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Well, seeing I thrashed a tire doing Winch Hill the conventional way, I might give it a shot the other way this time.

post #11 of 13 Old 04-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Rock God

How much you charging for it? HAHA When is it for sale? I really like it, Needs some built in fogs thou. Probably the best home made bumper to date.

White 2012 Sahara, Switchblade rear bumper, 5 35" mud grapplers sitting in my spare bedroom waiting on my lift.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-28-2010, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Thanks Clutch. No built in fogs, did you miss the KC fogs? I welded the light tabs and drilled into the top to hide the wiring. Working on my In-Cab Winch control setup tied into my MM's Pod https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...ght=mm%27s+pod. Yeah, I'm gonna finish that write up soon too

post #13 of 13 Old 07-12-2010, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
ta-daaa

And, it's done. Got my Warn XD9000i and wired up my in cab winch remote. (I"ll get that write up done soon) Glad I got it set up the way I want it finally.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode