Expedition One Trail Series rear bumper & tire carrier install. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 04-14-2010, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thumbs up Expedition One Trail Series rear bumper & tire carrier install.

Full disclosure: we're dealers for Expedition One. And the whole reason we became dealers for them was I wanted to run their rear bumper on our JK. I've known James from ExpOne for many years through my own forum and remember seeing the designs for their bumpers back when they were just CAD models. At the time, they were also the first and only company to offer a tire that opened and closed with the tail gate. And frankly IMHO it's still one of the best looking JK rear bumpers out there. I originally installed the bumper and did the write-up in early 2010, and to date have had no problems or rattles.

We got one of Expedition One's front Trail Series JK winch bumpers along with the rear bumper, and everything was packed into one big, heavy box. The bumpers and tire carrier were individually wrapped in plastic, then surrounded by expanding foam. It did a great job protecting everything during shipping, but I felt like an archaeologist digging for dinosaur bones trying to dig everything out from the foam though.

The hardware and small parts (tire mount, coupler, tail gate coupler mount, etc):

The instructions are great and include photos to help with the assembly of some of the parts. They're online on Expedition One's website too, and they've even got an install video on YouTube.

The factory JK rear bumper mounts to the frame with two bolts per side, plus an additional two bolts on the backside of the rear crossmember. Our JK's previous owner neglected to reinstall the crossmember bolts when we swapped the factory bumper back on to sell the Jeep, so four bolts is all it took to pull off the big plastic stock bumper. Keep those four bolts, you'll reuse them to install the Expedition One bumper.

JKs are definitely designed differently than previous Universals.

Oh, quick recommendation -- the instructions tell you to pop the vent panel off the inside of the tail gate in order to disconnect and remove the CHMSL wiring harness. Don't do this. Well, don't do this if you want or need to keep some kind of CHMSL to stay legal. Instead, remove the torx bolts holding the plastic light assembly to the metal tire mount and clip the wiring harness up near the light.

Here's a shot showing the reinforcement inside the bumper ends and how the massive tire carrier spindle sits down into the bumper and reinforcement bracket.

That vertical rectangular block is the backside of the 1" thick d-ring tabs. The driver-side of the bumper has matching bracketry (just no tire carrier spindle of course). With the exception of the d-ring tabs, everything on the bumper is made from 3/16" plate.

So, on to the install!

Before you fit the bumper to the Jeep you have to place the supplied L-bracket nut plates inside the frame rails so that they line up with the rear-most hole in the frame rail.

Now just hoist the bumper into place and loosely screw the bolts in on either side. You'll reuse the four factory bumper bolts (two on each side) plus an additional larger supplied bolt at the rear. The forward holes are slotted so you can adjust the fit of the bumper as needed. It's a bit awkward getting the bumper into place if you're trying to do it by yourself, so if you've got a buddy you can bribe into helping you, do it.

Jason West -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'16 JKUR HardRock, Granite Crystal, RE/Synergy 3.5", 37s, the new project
'09 JKUR, RE 3.5", 37" MT/R-Ks, Expedition One bumpers, TNT Customs armor. SOLD.
'95 XJ lifted and locked on 35s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-14-2010, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Our tire carrier is the second generation which uses formed plate for the diagonal support (older designs used round tubing). Expedition One is working on having modular mounts available for a Hi-Lift, fuel cans, and cargo rack. And in case you're wondering, it's rated for up to a 40" tire.

When I went to put the tire carrier together, I ran into a slight problem...

The tire mount doesn't extend out far enough to work with the factory rims, at least not if you're running a 12.5" wide tire anyway (like all those wheel weights, haha). I talked to James from Expedition One about it and he said the problem was due to the high amount of backspacing on the factory rims; they couldn't make a tire mount with enough adjustment to work with both the factory rims and the various lesser backspacings of all the aftermarket rims. So on the high side it won't extend far enough to fit the factory rims, and on the low side it won't go short enough for the tire to contact the swing arm with rims with very low backspacing.

At this point I had two options: I could either buy a wheel spacer or weld on an extension to the tire mount. A wheel spacer would turn the wheel 180* which wouldn't allow me to do the CHMSL idea I was planning so I opted to extend the tire mount. This was also the basically-free option since I used some 3/16" flat stock left over from another project and it gave me an excuse to use my welder some more. A little cutting, welding, and drilling, and presto!

Setting up and adjusting the coupler was really pretty easy; just follow the directions and it'll be nice and snug when you shut the tail gate. And no rattles!

To keep the swing arm from vibrating, you get two OEM TJ tire bumpstops that get mounted to existing holes in the JK tail gate.

The swing arm hits both bumpstops and you're supposed to adjust the couple so that the swing arm is a presses against the bumpstops pretty well when the tail gate is fully shut. The only way you're going to get any vibration is if you get any the flex in the [really tight] poly bushings in the coupler. (here you can see the swing arm "stub" overlapping the original holes in the tire mount)

For the CHMSL, I copied AEV's CHMSL design and built it using a LitePLATE from OffRoadOnly (ORO LitePLATE runs $30 vs $49 for the AEV CHSML) and some 16ga flat stock and nuts and bolts I had laying around. I cut the "ears" off the LitePLATE and made an extension with the 16ga flat stock then bolted the assembly to an existing hole in the Exp One tire mount.

If you're running aftermarket wheels with a larger center bore than the stock ones, Expedition One has an LED CHMSL kit available that mounts to the big hole at the center of the tire mount.

Jason West -
|

'09 JKUR, RE 3.5", 37" MT/R-Ks, Expedition One bumpers, TNT Customs armor. SOLD.

Last edited by JeepinOutfitters; 07-15-2010 at 01:57 PM. Reason: corrected some info regarding 1st/2nd generation design.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-14-2010, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Overall I couldn't be happier with the setup. The bumper looks great and the fit and finish of everything is outstanding. The bumper is notched to fit around a trailer hitch, and the tire carrier to tail gate coupler is adjustable to work with up to 1" of body lift. The billet aluminum tire carrier hinge cap has the Expedition One logo engraved on the top and looks really trick. Be sure to use some anti-seize on the threads when you install it though.

Check out the complete install photo album here: http://jeepin.com/fotos-2?g2_itemId=15649

Jason West -
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-14-2010, 08:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice write up and great looking bumper. I picked up one of their front TJ bumpers while at EJS '06. They make some great stuff....Again....on a great install.

/

post #5 of 15 Old 04-14-2010, 08:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Great bumper heavy swing arm that moves with the gate-plus!
post #6 of 15 Old 04-14-2010, 08:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sweet!

2014 Rubicon on the build!
post #7 of 15 Old 04-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Granite Guru

Question who else ??

I have liked this set up since day one. Do you know how much it weighs ?(without your spare of course)

I LOVE this bumper but it is $$$$ !!!
So I am looking into at all the companies who have copied this to get the lowest cost.

What other manufacturers make a rear bumper with this swing away design??? post up if you know of any PLEASE !!

THANK A VETERAN

"It's a Freedom Thing"

Last edited by Bluewaterrider; 04-15-2010 at 10:20 AM.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-15-2010, 10:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaterrider View Post
I have liked this set up since day one. Do you know how much it weighs ?(without your spare of course)

So I am looking into at all the companies who have copied this to get the lowest cost.

What other manufacturers make a rear bumper with this swing away design??? post up if you know of any PLEASE !!
You'll need to look in China for one which BTW contradicts your signature

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #9 of 15 Old 04-15-2010, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:

Off the top of my head I know that AEV, Treks, and MORE make tire carriers that similarly attach to the tail gate (only because with the exception of AEV, we carry all those brands as well). The MORE system is about $1100, not significantly less expensive than Exp-One, but it's got an integrated Hi-Lift mount. The Treks system is about $975, but that's bare steel, so you'd have to paint it yourself (or have it coated). FWIW, if you don't care about having to paint it yourself, the Exp-One system is available bare steel as well to save some $$, PM me if you'd like some numbers.

Jason West -
|

post #10 of 15 Old 04-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:

I looked at the E1 as well, but bought the RS-E rear bumper. It also swings with the tailgate, but has an integrated trailerhitch. The spare mount adjusts up/down, and it has an integrated antenna mount. I am very happy with it. I have the E1 front bumper and the finish of both the RS-E and the E1 are great. You cant go wrong with either.
Ron

Not planning for failure is planning to fail!
post #11 of 15 Old 04-15-2010, 10:37 PM
Granite Guru

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronner View Post
I looked at the E1 as well, but bought the RS-E rear bumper. It also swings with the tailgate, but has an integrated trailerhitch. The spare mount adjusts up/down, and it has an integrated antenna mount. I am very happy with it. I have the E1 front bumper and the finish of both the RS-E and the E1 are great. You cant go wrong with either.
Ron
Thanks
do you have a link to RS-E?

THANK A VETERAN

"It's a Freedom Thing"
post #12 of 15 Old 04-15-2010, 10:54 PM
Granite Guru

Post Think about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
You'll need to look in China for one which BTW contradicts your signature
I believe that many great Americans have given thier lives to protect our freedoms. Like our right to bear arms, and our choice to purchase a bumper from where ever we choose.

Read my signature again.

THANK A VETERAN

"It's a Freedom Thing"
post #13 of 15 Old 04-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Granite Guru

Here is a link to the R-SE
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11167
Also, I think the Aberle looks great too and it also connects to the tailgate. It is made of aluminium and based on their video looks to be really strong (you can find them in the new products section too).

Ron

Not planning for failure is planning to fail!
post #14 of 15 Old 07-05-2010, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Are you running their CB antenna mount or something else? I've yet to add that to ours.

I did add their Hi-Lift mount too. It's nice and sturdy.

Jason West -
|

post #15 of 15 Old 07-05-2010, 10:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice bumper.. Had a RR rear bumper on my last jeep... won't get that one, this one seems real nice....built well.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode