SAS’s JK Manual Tranny Inner-Boot Mod for Bodylifts - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 04-05-2010, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

SAS’s JK Manual Tranny Inner-Boot Mod for Bodylifts

This mod will work with any size bodylift, 1”, 2”, etc. Manual transmission only, autos are fortunate enough to have cable link shifters. I like several had major issues with being able to shift into 2,4,6,R without binding after installing a 2” BDS BL. I started by trimming the rear of the boot as some have done, totally useless, removed it and still had to trim a slight bit of the aft body tub inner-boot lip. So I came up with this idea. I no longer have the BL but this mod sealed better than the factory inner-boot ever did from heat/debris/water and especially noise suppression.

* Start by removing your inner-boot and then reinstall your center console with just a couple of screws (not all). Leave off the upper shifter boot and leave off the shifter ball for now. Take a coathanger and cut a 12” piece, straighten it and this will be your template for determing your shifter bend needed to heat/bend your shifter to clear the dash from hitting your knuckles. Simply go through all the gears and with the coathanger held beside the shifter rod adjust the hanger until it you can visually determine knuckle/dash clearance with appropriate. The fwd gears are really all I had to accommodate for. I ended up heat/bending my shifter rod about ½” fwd at the factory bend location and it cleared shifter knob, knuckles, etc, perfectly. Now put on the upper shifter boot and ensure clearance is fine. Once done remove the console again. I used a bottle of MAP gas and a torch setup from Home Depot (cost me around $40 with the Great Stuff).

* Next take a 1gal water jug and for a 2” BL the height was about 4” and some change, starting from the bottom of the water per the pics. Then you’ll need to cut out the center section to match your shifter tower as the pics show. You can measure from the tower shoulder to the bottom of your body tub for the exact measurement. Seems like it was 4-3/8” for mine. Now place the plastic cutout into its place and ensure you have a somewhat good seal. Next take a can of Great Stuff from Home Depot, Lowe’s or any hardware store (be sure it’s Great Stuff) and start filling as shown below. You only need to fill it about 2/3 of the way, expansion will take care of the rest.

* Once the foam cures and looks like an old 70’s Jiffy Pop Popcorn container, take an old steak knife and start to trim at the fulcrum of the shifter and rod to allow shifting. This takes more time than anything in that you want to be careful not to puncture through the plastic and mess up your work. Once trimming is done.

* Next reassemble everything and enjoy having a good inner-boot seal while clearing your knuckles when shifting. 1” BLs usually do not need heat/bending, most 2” BLs will.

* Another option I was going to try prior this (got lazy) was to use a ¼” plate of alum trimmed to fit the tower shoulder and wide enough to clear an aired up dolly innertube which would seal against the plate and body tube underside. Never got around to it but should work in theory.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-05-2010, 11:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Hey that's some "great stuff!"
post #3 of 4 Old 06-03-2010, 05:45 AM
Granite Guru

Genius.

2008 JK X 2dr. Std. Blk
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Rock God

Garage

pst... I heard that it "stretches shit out"

07 JK 2/DR Sahara, 35" Wrangler kevlar, 10k Winch, Garvin Roof Rack, 3" Black Diamond, CatBack Exhaust, RR Gen-1 Snorkel, too much more to list

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Welcome to JKOWNERS- Home of boobs, guns, meat, and Jeeps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode